Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-13-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Glad you're still making progress on the Falcon. You did great work on the trucks. I feel you on the automotive ADHD. I have trouble deciding to work on the TA or a BMW I bought. Good luck moving forward with whatever you're working on.

Thanks Man!!!

On another note... Made a list of parts and jobs I still need to work on to make the Falcon done’ish once I get the transmission installed. So, I Ordered Redline ATF, an external trans cooler, trans pan with a drain plug (I hate pulling a pan full of fluid).

I also test fitted the transmission controller harness and started investigating how hard the new front seat covers are going to be to install. I figured out really quickly that my original seat foams are HAMMERED, so I ordered new ones from Distinctive and called my buddy who does interior work. I’ll be taking these to him next weekend, as these look to be quite a PITA.

If the stars align, I may have the Falcon ready for Tail of the Dragon in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2019, 08:29 PM

I got the aluminum driveshaft back from being shortened, rebalanced, and new ujoints. Almost all the parts are here. Maybe I’ll have it in by the end of the upcoming weekend. #fingerscrossed#

Old 10-21-2019, 09:20 AM

Well, I got the new Lokar shift shaft installed, the convertor in and seated appropriately, and wiggled, jiggled and quite a bit of cussing.... But, the transmission is IN! Did a few test & trial fits of the exhaust, shift linkage vs cable (I’ll be using the cable style linkage this time), and installed the driveshaft. The driveshaft length is spot on, but I didn’t realize that the slip yoke was different between the AOD & the 4r70w, so looks like I’ll be replacing the slip yoke. One step forward and two steps back...again.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:30 PM

No pictures, but I’m theoretically done under the car as far as the transmission install.

-Shifter linkage in...check
-Torque converter...check
-Trans controller wiring...done under the car
-Starter & wiring...check
-Trans dipstick...check
-Driveshaft yoke swap...check
-driveshaft installed...check
-H-pipe install...check

I gotta put some trans fluid in, and get the controller wiring inside the car done. Then... I HOPE LIKE CRAZY It'll move under its own power. Hopefully that’ll happen tomorrow.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:02 PM

Drove IT!!! Lots still to do, but it drives pretty dang good. Well, except that I don’t have the seats so I’m sitting on a box, so the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts really tried to put me in the trunk. I’ll start on getting the interior in next.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:50 PM

I didn’t get nearly as much done to the Falcon as I’d hoped this weekend. The wife & I ran away to North Carolina to do an event with a group of friends. So we spent all weekend running the mountain roads between Fontana NC & Robbins TN. Tail of the Dragon was a BLAST in my little Miata Club.

Stole this pic from the WWW...

But I did get the seats back from being recovered...

Old 11-17-2019, 06:44 PM

Got the carpet fitted (what a PITA) and got the seats in. Still need to do a little bit here & there, but I drove it further today than all the previous times combined.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:50 PM

Default 1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura

We had a beautiful day here in the typically humid south, so my wife & I finally took the Falcoon out for some break-in miles. Just shy of 100 miles today without any real issues. I noticed a small harmonic vibration in the front end and the rear passenger-side tire rubbed once. Once I got it home & up on the lift, I figured out that the p/s front bearings were a touch loose and the p/s rear inner fender lip had a high spot that I’d missed when rolling them. All fixed & no leaks were apparent! Whoop whoop!

The Following User Says Thank You to Nlped47 For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-02-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 05:44 PM

Your Falcon looks great, man. Two tips: One is that the bucket is only worse (functionally) than stock seats because there is no back; it is grippier when in a hard turn. In the future, one of the best helpers for rear tires rubbing under turning stress is a Maier panhard rod (for Mustang, but it fits); it is a miracle for the leaf-sprung rear . . .
Old 11-30-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
Your Falcon looks great, man. Two tips: One is that the bucket is only worse (functionally) than stock seats because there is no back; it is grippier when in a hard turn. In the future, one of the best helpers for rear tires rubbing under turning stress is a Maier panhard rod (for Mustang, but it fits); it is a miracle for the leaf-sprung rear . . .

Quick question, so the Maier panhard bar will actually fit under my car without any major issue???