Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 06-25-2020, 07:56 AM

That’s fantastic news, it’s the best possible resolution for your car.
The bad news is it’ll take a little longer than you wanted...
The good news is you’re probably going to end up with a killer paint job!

Who has possession of the car? Now is the time to go over every square inch with a fine tooth comb and note any imperfections that need to be addressed.

JD
Old 06-26-2020, 12:31 PM

Default update

So spent the morning with the crew to resent expectations and i wanted to be very clear on what they plan on doing...actual sanding starts tomorrow so i'll be over there in between dropping kids off. I feel comfortable i'll get something better than what I have now. I did found out this morning that the guys in the shop got together last week and convinced the owner that it wasn't right and they needed to redo it, so I think they actually care what kind of product they produce. Remember the two who started this project aren't working there any longer.

Tried to take pictures to show the "waviness" of the clear but kinda hard without the light but with the right light it looks light corn syrup running down the side of the car.

door gaps got better, there's still room for improvement.

Thanks again for all the advice...
Old 07-16-2020, 06:30 PM

Default Next Step Move On

Ok, I gotta say that the last 3 months have been a bit sketchy but I brought it home yesterday and i'm very happy with the result. He sanded it all back down and repainted the entire car and we now have a much better finish. To be honest I'd go back again only because he owned up to it and never argued about it. He knows he had a couple guys in there that tried to short cut their way through it and he took responsibility. I tried to pay him for materials on the second go around and he refused. He truly wanted to make it right and I know he lost money on the deal because we agreed to $6500 and he never budged off of the quote. I like to believe we're all still friends and hey all want rides when I get it back on the road....surprising happy ending...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony V For This Useful Post:
dhutton (07-16-2020), redfire69 (11-25-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 07:17 PM

Looks super sharp!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:15 PM

What paint did he use cause I want to know how he made money just doing it the first time, not including the total loss the second time.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:18 AM

I bet it wasn’t PPG, I’ll ask him today but I think he used Matrix products from what I remember. It’s a track/ street car so I didn’t want a top dollar paint job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2020, 02:08 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Whatever paint he used, it turned out beautiful!

VERY few paint stories end up positive. Congrats to you!... and to him for stepping up.

Jeff-
Spiffav8 (12-01-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 06:13 PM

I am glad you guys worked things out. The outcome was pretty nice! On another note I was talking to a friend of mine that has a '40's model Dodge. I don't remember which Dodge, just that it was a Dodge. A good friend of his is doing the paint job. I asked him yesterday if he had gotten his car back yet and he told me in about 2 weeks. He really seemed down in the dumps talking about it. I asked him what was wrong and he proceeded to tell me the story. My friend completely stripped the body and had it down to the bare metal. The car body was off of the frame and completely bare inside and out. It needed some body work, although no rust or bad dents. That is when he told me that the price of the car so far was $50K labor and 8K in materials !! What? The guy painting it has a home made paint booth in his back yard shop! I believe you should have to pay for what you get but I've seen some of this painters work and for that kind of money WOW. The bad thing is... They aren't done yet. This is being done here in Northeast Arkansas in a guys back yard!
Old 11-21-2020, 01:33 PM

your buddy did all the work or did the body guy do the stripping and separating the body and frame? either way 8k$ on materials,what materials? 50k$ labor at 100$ an hour ,guessing, is like 3 months of time.how do people get pulled into paying scammers to do work for them.i feel for your buddy
Old 11-27-2020, 06:30 PM

my buddy did all the stripping down to metal, and then sent him just the bare body on a roll around cart he made just for this car. Yeah, he's pretty sick about all this. He was thinking at the high side of cost being around high 20's or low 30's. I figure it will be close to high 60's when he's finished.