Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 09-01-2020, 12:55 PM

Default McLeod twin disk knocking

Looking for some other people input...…

Installed a McLeod twin disk on my Gen III Hemi, T56 Magnum build and its noisy as hell. New trans, new pilot, did the bell alignment, new McLeod flywheel, had a local shop balance the assembly etc etc.... so as far as I can tell I did the install spot on...

When the trans is in neutral and clutch out, it knocks like crazy.... best comparison I can make is it sounds like rod knock..... push the clutch in.....totally quiet.

Talked to the guys at Bowler... the company I purchased it through....sent them a video and their feedback is that they have had several McLeod twin sound just like that.... customer brought cars back, thinking something was wrong too..... so apparently this is "normal" for these set up..... WTH... they basically feel like the are noisy but work just fine

Some other stuff came up and I had to pull the motor and trans anyway, so its all out of the car now and visually it looks normal. The car was only run around the block a few times, so the set up has less than 3-5 miles tops.

I'm going to call McLeod and get there input but looking for some real world unbiased opinions.... thoughts?
Old 09-01-2020, 01:15 PM

I have had similar issues with Centerforce Dyads......I have had some of those that were quiet.

***Edit, I missed that the noise goes away when you push the clutch in......which is the opposite of what happens when the floater discs start rattling around.

Support your local hot rod shop!

Last edited by dontlifttoshift; 09-02-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Spec super twin is noisy when the clutch is pressed. Put in neutral and let clutch out and it quiets down. That to me is normal for multi-disc clutch setup.

For it to be noisy with the clutch OUT in neutral seems weird to me. Discs should be locked and turning with the Pressure Plate / Flywheel.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 09-02-2020, 04:16 AM

If the throwout is fork style then it could be the lever getting jammed inside bellhousing because the clutch pack is thicker (and the flywheel could be a tick thicker) and the fork is pushed back steeper angle.

If it's hydraulic TOB then it could be the TOB housing or NEW trans casting hitting the pressure plate or pp retaining bolts when the crank moves rearward a few thousandths in it's thrust bearing when pedal pressure comes off.

Could be a complication inside the pp if you've over stroked the fingers.....lets hope not.

As will69 said "it should be noisy disengaged" (pedal down) cos the intermediate plate between the friction plates will rattle in its retaining bosses. That will be a rattle NOT rod-knock-sound.
Later....

Last edited by Beechy; 09-02-2020 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Reading the original post proper...wink
Old 09-02-2020, 03:58 PM

By far the most quiet twin disc I've run so far is the RAM. I'm running a hybrid version from them on my Magnum now that's good for up to 700ft/lbs or more. Acts and sounds just like an OEM clutch. I couldn't be happier with it.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:41 PM

I have a McLeod RXT behind my T56 Magnum and it's pretty quiet at idle in neutral. I do get gear rattle from the transmission at around 1800-1900 RPM in gear but my clutch isn't noisy.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:13 PM

Still dealing with this issue...

The rattle is in neutral, clutch out, car at idle......... push the clutch in and noise stops about 1/2 way in..... so it sounds like opposite of what other people are saying when they have some rattle from a Twin disc set up

I can rev the motor pretty high and don't hear or feel a vibration....

I had local machine shop balance the flywheel and clutch.....could they have F-ed it up?
Old 11-29-2020, 11:17 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJDVM's '69 View Post
Still dealing with this issue...

The rattle is in neutral, clutch out, car at idle......... push the clutch in and noise stops about 1/2 way in..... so it sounds like opposite of what other people are saying when they have some rattle from a Twin disc set up

I can rev the motor pretty high and don't hear or feel a vibration....

I had local machine shop balance the flywheel and clutch.....could they have F-ed it up?
I’ve had the same issue. Trans and Clutch coming out shortly. I’ll let you know what I find.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 11-29-2020, 01:02 PM

Hey Curtis
Due to a motor issue I had to pull everything out and it all looked visually normal. so I couldn't find a source....put it all back together after verifying bell alignment and being very careful to make sure everything was installed correctly.... still there

There is another thread in the main general forum where it was mentioned that the noise may be from the T56, not the clutch assembly.... doesn't sound like gear whine... more like a knock to me
Old 11-30-2020, 11:14 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJDVM's '69 View Post
Hey Curtis
Due to a motor issue I had to pull everything out and it all looked visually normal. so I couldn't find a source....put it all back together after verifying bell alignment and being very careful to make sure everything was installed correctly.... still there

There is another thread in the main general forum where it was mentioned that the noise may be from the T56, not the clutch assembly.... doesn't sound like gear whine... more like a knock to me
Your description is spot on to what I've been experiencing. Just blew the rear seal out of my T56 while racing a AMG GT-R on the freeway (I won, so totally worth it) and may upgrade to the Magnum-F (F-Body) if it will fit. I'll let you know if it goes away.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to Spiffav8 For This Useful Post:
anguilla1980 (11-30-2020)