Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 09-22-2020, 08:04 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Nice work, Lance. I'm glad you were able to get it back out there. 7 months is pretty quick I'd say.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 09-23-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Nice work, Lance. I'm glad you were able to get it back out there. 7 months is pretty quick I'd say.

Thanks Trey... Technically I only missed the March and April local SCCA events. I guess I picked a good time to blow it up huh?
Old 10-09-2020, 05:39 PM

Strangely, I didn't take one picture while performing my latest upgrade. Not one...

So text will have to do to keep you all in the loop. A friend graciously offered to loan me a third member with a Gleason Torsen differential and 3.89:1 gears so we swapped it in this morning.

My Detroit Locker had been acting a bit funny ever since the track day when I hurt the engine and I didn't quite trust it anymore. It started shuddering on decel and making all sorts of weird clanks and clunks and had a "dartiness" to it on the street. Plus, I have been wanting to ditch it ever since the new big sway bar install up front as it just isn't needed any longer and it detriments were outweighing it's good traits.

I was anxious to see how much metal was in the bottom of the case and what else we may find and honestly, it all looked and felt pretty normal. Gears look decent still as well. IF there is anything wrong with it, it's inside the locker itself.

Driving the Gleason is pleasurable for sure. It basically acts and feels like an open differential until you stab the gas enough to spin a tire which it then instantly and smoothly engages as a locker and spins both equally. No strange dartiness, no clunks or clangs, just smooth operating. The 3.89 gear is great for street driving. Haven't had it out on the highway yet but I expect it to shine there as well.

For SCCA\second gear courses I also expect it to shine. Looking at drive ratio calculators it appears that it'll top out at 71 mph at 6500 RPM which is perfect.

First gear Good Guys courses it hurts a bit more though. 6500 with the 3.50 was 51 mph while 6500 with the 3.89 will be 47 mph. 7,000 RPM gets it back up to around 51 mph though. I may be just a bit limited on top speed in first gear but it should pull harder getting there and the Torsen should make getting around the tight turns better as well so who knows...

We'll race it next Saturday with SCCA, that will be it's first real test. Personally...I can't wait to feel how it acts in the first high speed sweeper. I know I'm gonna LOVE it. I'm pretty sure I'll dig the lower gear for pulling out of corners as well.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:55 PM

Man does my car like the 3.89 gear on the street! I've had a 3.50 gear in it forever, cant believe the difference that little bit of a lower gear makes. The WOT shifts land right in the powerband and the car just keeps on pulling hard. Still loving the Gleason as well.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Man does my car like the 3.89 gear on the street! I've had a 3.50 gear in it forever, cant believe the difference that little bit of a lower gear makes. The WOT shifts land right in the powerband and the car just keeps on pulling hard. Still loving the Gleason as well.
What size tires these days? Not sure if they were changed since earlier in the thread.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:05 PM

275/35/18 RE71s about 25.5" tall new, 25.0" tall in current condition.

I've run these ever since going to the 18s about 3.5 years ago.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:18 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I have 3.90s in the TA, Lance. I love them. I could have easily gone 4.10s as highway speeds in sixth still puts me right at 2000rpms. 26 inch rear tire I want to say.

Do you have a lightweight flywheel, too? I have a Fidanza aluminum unit. Rev match down shifting is so easy as it revs so freely.

Glad you're enjoying the new rear gear ratio.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 10-11-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Cool!

My 68 Torino
Old 10-12-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
I have 3.90s in the TA, Lance. I love them. I could have easily gone 4.10s as highway speeds in sixth still puts me right at 2000rpms. 26 inch rear tire I want to say.

Do you have a lightweight flywheel, too? I have a Fidanza aluminum unit. Rev match down shifting is so easy as it revs so freely.

Glad you're enjoying the new rear gear ratio.
I'm still running the OEM flywheel from the 1994 Camaro the transmission came from.

Ran a comparison of drive ratios between the 3.50 and 3.89 gear.

Speed At Engine RPM 6500
3.50 vs 3.89
1st Gear Speed 53 48
2nd Gear Speed 79 71
3rd Gear Speed 108 98
4th Gear Speed 141 127
5th Gear Speed 190 171
6th Gear Speed 282 254

I'll race the 3.89 at SCCA this weekend and I assume I'll love it. We'll see how the Gleason acts as well. Some say they unlock when the inside tire is lifted and while I've fought that int he past, I don't believe it'll be an issue now. We'll see. I can't wait to barrel off into the first sweeper and not have to cringe waiting for the BANG when the old locker would disengage. That alone should make this a MUCH nicer diff to race with.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
mfain (10-13-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 01:31 PM

I spent the last week or so chasing and correcting some issues so I figured it was a good time for an update to the build thread.

When I originally swapped in the electric cooling fans about 10 years ago, I also upgraded to a CS-144 style 140 amp alternator which I hung off of March Underdrive pulleys and brackets. It took a bit of work to get the larger alternator case to work with the bracket and turnbuckle and several tries on belt length until I got it "right". It all worked pretty well until about 3 years ago when that alternator failed (right after moving to Phoenix and of course a couple of days before my first race event here). A friend loaned me a Alternator out of a 90 Caprice which is basically the same as what I had and I've been running it since.

When I swapped in the EFI last year, I discovered that the alternator didn't put out enough amps at idle to run a heavy load of accessories. By the time the AC blower was full blast and engine cooling fans were on high, the charging system was down around 12 volts. We remedied that by building a table into the EFI software that bumped the idle up as the volts dropped below where they needed to be...and that worked well as well.

For the last year I've been limping along a 9 year old Optima Red Top that would only charge to about 12.2-12.3 volts even with the big Optima charger. It was fine as well as long as I kept up on it. Well, until Tuesday that is. This is the day I finally took my wife for a second ride in the car since the EFI install. The first time was when it was 110 degrees out and the ECU freaked out when the volts dropped too low and we barely made it home. This time I dropper her off at Target for a bit then went for a cruise to see how Andrew's latest tune was...when I noticed the care was having trouble idling. When I looked...the volts were down in the 10s... Even a cruise up the highway wouldn't cure it so I called her, told her I'd come back in the truck to get her as I had to get the car home. I pulled into the driveway with it at 9.5 volts and yes, it was dead as soon as I turned it off.

My first thought was the battery finally died. It would hold 12.1v but as soon as I turned key on and fuel pump would prime it would drop into the 9s...so I put a new battery in it. During the next test drive, all was good, volts were fine, it idled great...all good... Until the engine warmed up enough to turn fans on when the volts dropped down to 12.0 once again. Even revving the engine to 3,000 RPMS wouldn't spin the Alternator fast enough to make enough amps to run the fans. So I started the chase for a new alternator knowing full well I had about 3 days before a race and then another 5 days or so before a 2 day race event at Good Guys.

Making wholesale changes to the charging system was a dream, but reality was I needed it to be fixed that day. I found a place that rebuilt alternators here in town, so I loaded both of mine up and headed there. They gave me several options but the most favorable wouldn't be ready for 8-10 days (270 amp alt that would bolt right on). So I bought a rebuilt CS-144 with a stock smaller pulley for about $100 and headed home. I knew I'd need a shorter belt but I forgot that I'd need to work around the turnbuckle that would only move the alternator so far before it would interfere one way or the other. A 42" belt was great with the larger March pulley. A 41" looked to be about right with the smaller stock sized pulley, but O'Reillys only had a 40" in stock. Of course it moved the alternator so close to the water pump the turnbuckle was too long. I thought about cutting it down or searching for a shorter one...then decided to try AutoZone to see if they had a 41" belt, which they did. I had to fiddle with the turnbuckle just a bit to get it so it would tighten the belt up but in the end everything ended up in just about the right spot. Next time I have it off I'll space the turnbuckle out from the Alt just a bit for a bit more room to turn the lock nut but for now, it's ready to race.

What is really sweet is it now holds 14.3v at idle with the cooling fans on. And with every accessory and light on full blast it holds about 12.8v at idle...so the smaller pulley and the fresh alternator cured the charging issue I've had for a LONG time. I've got the car all cleaned up, all autocross gear loaded up and it's ready to head out at the butt crack of dawn tomorrow for Arizona Region Fall 2020 Event 3.