Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 AM

Default 2-post lifts to stay away from?

Hoping to get a 2-post lift ordered in the next 10 days. It will be for personal use and needs to be a base plate model due to my 112" post height limitation. My overall garage height is over 10.5", but there are 2 spanning beams in the ceiling that support the bedrooms above the garage that are right where my posts need to go! I am looking to spend between $15-2300. We are pouring footings for the posts this week. It seems like I have been researching this forever and still can't make up my mind. Are there any lifts out there that you have had experience with that a guy should stay away from?

Last edited by jlwdvm; 01-06-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
Hoping to get a 2-post lift ordered in the next 10 days. It will be for personal use and needs to be a base plate model due to my 112" post height limitation. My overall garage height is over 10.5", but there are 2 spanning beams in the ceiling that support the bedrooms above the garage that are right where my posts need to go! I am looking to spend between $15-2300. We are pouring footings for the posts this week. It seems like I have been researching this forever and still can't make up my mind. Are there any lifts out there that you have had experience with that a guy should stay away from?
I'd just make sure to buy something that is ALI/ETL certified. I have a shorter ceiling in my shop as well but I was able to get away with a challenger E10 clear floor lift. I just put the cross bar up and over the rafters. My '69 camaro will go all the way up! My lift was $2700 shipped and it's 10,000 lbs rated.

This pic was when we were installing it. I've gotten rid of some of the junk since then.

P.S. I will never ever know how I got along without this lift. It makes everything so much easier and makes things enjoyable that previously weren't.
Attached Images

'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread

Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 01-06-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Avoid Anything made in China... and you'd be surprised how many of them are.

Eagle Lift -- acts like they are a manufacturer and they're not - they're a reseller / rebranded lift. If you have an issue with the wrong parts --- it can take forever to get it solved. Ask me how I know first hand.

Gemini Lifts are made in Texas --- and that's actually what I got from Eagle Lift. Might as well bought it direct. But nowadays even the USA manufacturers are importing lifts from China so they can be competitive.

I since ditched that lift and went with a really good lift - Rotary Lift. But like most things you get what you pay for. I wish I'd have bought the Rotary the first time around.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:36 PM

Oh - btw -- the lift is the best tool in your shop once you have one. Make a wise decision. You'd be shocked how much it gets used.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 PM

Everything in my price range is made in China! So I think I may have found a good Chinese-made lift backed by a reputable American company:
http://www.derekweaver.com/rodders-g...-lifts/hr8000/ The guys over on GarageJournal.com seem to think highly of Direct Lift which is a division of the same company that owns Rotary Lifts.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
Everything in my price range is made in China! So I think I may have found a good Chinese-made lift backed by a reputable American company:
http://www.derekweaver.com/rodders-g...-lifts/hr8000/ The guys over on GarageJournal.com seem to think highly of Direct Lift which is a division of the same company that owns Rotary Lifts.
It's not certified AND it's made in China. Remember that you're going to be under this thing....with a large heavy car on it. IMHO, spend a few minutes checking out YouTube videos of lift failures and then proceed to save up a few hundred more bucks and get one that's at least certified.

Full disclosure: Mine is Challengers less expensive model with some parts made in China BUT it's ALI/ETL certified at 10,000 lbs; 2,000 lbs more than the one you linked, and its only $400 over your price range. I'm not telling you to get the brand I have, just that a few hundred more can get you a beefier unit and some piece of mind. I went through the same thing you are going through before deciding to cough up the extra dough.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread

Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 01-06-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi View Post
It's not certified AND it's made in China. Remember that you're going to be under this thing....with a large heavy car on it. IMHO, spend a few minutes checking out YouTube videos of lift failures and then proceed to save up a few hundred more bucks and get one that's at least certified.

EGG SACK LEE!!!

You life and your friends lives -- and your car are at risk --- this is NOT a place to be cheap.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 PM

I would buy a used US made Rotary or comparable before buying a new Chinese lift - just my $.02 You can have the used one inspected and even replace a few parts if needed and still come out OK.

I was lucky and bought mine from a friend when he moved. I knew the lift since it was brand new - he took good care of it. I paid less for it than a new not so nice lift.
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:47 AM

Mohawk makes some of the best lifts in the world. They use hydraulic lines rather than a cable or a chain to keep the two sides in sync. Perfect for when you are cramped for space.

http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/consum...post-lifts/a7/

II Much Fabrication's Blog New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 AM

Greg and JP hit the nail on the head,not a place to cheap out. I would wait and save the money for a Mohawk or Rotary.

This is my choice, a bit spendy but Im filling the penny jar, check out the Mohawk tire engaging option, now you have a 2 post and 4 post combined,

Http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/consum...ging-adaptors/

Rich