Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-21-2016, 10:08 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Im drooling over those gauges!
Old 02-24-2016, 07:41 PM

So......Been an Interesting last couple of days........After getting the gauge cluster in and getting the starter solenoid issue resolved.......I spun the engine over and noticed I wasn't getting any oil pressure........Hummm!!!......Must have lost it's prime........So......I borrow a pressure oiler to prime the system.......it has an adapter that screws on in place of the oil filter that connects to the canister with a hose.......Add oil to the canister ......pressurize the canister with 100lbs air pressure and open the valve.......the pressure pushes the oil thru out the entire oiling system in the car........open the valve and turn the key on 40lbs oil pressure........Humm....That was easy......Take all the pressure stuff off and put the oil filter back on...(still filled with oil)......Spin the engine over........"0" oil pressure....,,.WTF !!!.........Put all the pressure stuff back on......40 lbs.........Spun the engine over with the 40 lbs pressure..........Take it off ......."0" again......Talk about getting depressed........So.......I spend a day thinking this thru......It seems that the only place this problem can be coming from is when I changed the Oil Pan and changed the oil pick-up tube.........the mounting of the pick-up tube to the pump is critical to get the "O" ring seated correctly ...........I was very careful in putting in the new tube and "O" ring, so.......I was not convinced that was were the problem was.......So......I get a hold of Gordon (Formula 88) and explain what's going on.......He did some research and sends me a link that shows some past similar issues with the wrong size "O" ring installed.........Humm !!!.........I just took the supplied "O" that came in the kit installed it and never gave it a second thought.......But....It was the only answer that made any sense........So.......Other that the fuel system the car is a day away from running and now I have to take it apart to check a stupid "O" Ring.......Spent the day today taking the car apart.........Ha!!..........The tube was seated perfectly.......pulled the tube down and the "O" ring was in perfect condition........then I checked it with the old one that was on the GM pickup tube......... Basically 1 mm difference in size......the "O" ring supplied with the pan was smaller..........Darn !!!!........All this work for a stupid "O" ring.......But....I get it back together ........Put the pressure oil primer on .....take it off...put the Filter on and spin the engine over........Bingo.......Oil Pressure..........Some times the littlest things cause the biggest problems.............

Old 02-24-2016, 08:53 PM

This makes me nervous, I put a new pick up when I changed my oil pan too. I did the same I just put the o ring on but I put an LS Engine Oil Pump Pickup Tube Brace / Girdle. I hope it's OK but at least I have a place to start checking if I run into the same thing. Glad you got it figured out.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:33 PM

Ken, you are extremely fortunate, in the sense of being able to pull your oil pan, with the engine still bolted in the car. Most of us would have had to pull the engine out to accomplish this. Good for you!...and nice catch.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 02-28-2016, 12:39 PM

After getting the Oil issue resolved........Time to move forward again.............Put the core support back in, hopefully for the last time........Got the intercooler pump mounted......mounted the Radiator, A/C condenser, and the heat exchanger (again....Hopefully for the last time).....I also got the transmission cooler lines made and installed to the Radiator.....And.......I can only give praise to AutoRad producing a "Super" Quality product.........Glad Donny at Frame-up convinced me I can't afford "Cheap" stuff !!!!!.....Here are some Pic's of the car moving forward.......

Old 02-29-2016, 07:57 PM

Well !!!!..........I got another education today..........Got a call this morning at the shop from Coy........an Engineer from Holley........He wanted to know what and how everything transpired in my Dilemma...So.....I explained everything to him and how I felt the "O" ring was the cause of the issue.........O.K...He said !!.......I explained how I measured the tube and it was the same size as the Holley tube and since they were the same size I concluded that the smaller "O" was the issue.........He then asked if I still had the GM pick-up tube and was it tapered.........In my mind I was thinking a lead in style taper, .....And I measured the end and it measured .875 the same as the Holley tube........So....I told him I had it at home and I could measure it again and send him the info..........Humm!!!........When I get home I figured this was a waste of time, but.....I get it out and look at it a little closer.....

Wow.......Look at this .....When I looked at it originally the "O" Ring was on and I didn't notice the recessed taper area that the "O" ring sat in.........Hummm!!!!.........I called Coy back and explained what I found and what he already knew.........

When you measure the minor diameter and add the size of the larger "O" Ring vs the .875 dia of the Holley straight tube and the smaller ring.....The compression for the seal is exactly the same.........So.....My conclusion that the "O" ring was the problem was not correct........Holley had it figured out dimensionally correct........Sheesh !!!.......All that work for nothing.......but.......I still don't understand exactly what the issue was......So......Right now I have the larger "O" compressed into a space it really wasn't designed for......and......when I was talking to Coy I spun the engine over........"0" oil pressure.......Spun it over for about 20 seconds and Boom 50 lbs pressure.........So......If you have installed one of these pans.....don't worry about it.........Man.....what an Idiot .........This car stuff is hard............

And...........Congrat's to Holley for the follow up to bring that part of the issue to a logical conclusion...
Old 03-01-2016, 05:34 AM

Kudos for Holley for following up on the issue.

Thanks for the update Ken.

Tu
Old 03-01-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhizz View Post
Well !!!!..........I got another education today..........Got a call this morning at the shop from Coy........an Engineer from Holley........He wanted to know what and how everything transpired in my Dilemma...So.....I explained everything to him and how I felt the "O" ring was the cause of the issue.........O.K...He said !!.......I explained how I measured the tube and it was the same size as the Holley tube and since they were the same size I concluded that the smaller "O" was the issue.........He then asked if I still had the GM pick-up tube and was it tapered.........In my mind I was thinking a lead in style taper, .....And I measured the end and it measured .875 the same as the Holley tube........So....I told him I had it at home and I could measure it again and send him the info..........Humm!!!........When I get home I figured this was a waste of time, but.....I get it out and look at it a little

Wow.......Look at this .....When I looked at it originally the "O" Ring was on and I didn't notice the recessed taper area that the "O" ring sat in.........Hummm!!!!.........I called Coy back and explained what I found and what he already knew.........

When you measure the minor diameter and add the size of the larger "O" Ring vs the .875 dia of the Holley straight tube and the smaller ring.....The compression for the seal is exactly the same.........So.....My conclusion that the "O" ring was the problem was not correct........Holley had it figured out dimensionally correct........Sheesh !!!.......All that work for nothing.......but.......I still don't understand exactly what the issue was......So......Right now I have the larger "O" compressed into a space it really wasn't designed for......and......when I was talking to Coy I spun the engine over........"0" oil pressure.......Spun it over for about 20 seconds and Boom 50 lbs pressure.........So......If you have installed one of these pans.....don't worry about it.........Man.....what an Idiot .........This car stuff is hard............

And...........Congrat's to Holley for the follow up to bring that part of the issue to a logical conclusion...
Maybe a pickup girdle would help:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRP-LS-Engin...NWFVkv&vxp=mtr

Don
Old 03-01-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Maybe a pickup girdle would help:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRP-LS-Engin...NWFVkv&vxp=mtr

Don

Yep!!!!......To do it all over again...
Old 03-01-2016, 05:57 PM

Got a lot of little stuff finished up.......Got the Air inlet tube finished up and got the Mass Air Flow sensor installed......Finished up the forward Light harness.......(Everything works)...........Just about finished the Fan Relays before having to go in and take a Nap..........