Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-02-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
Car is back home in the garage. Wish I had taken pictures of the TBSS with the 69 on the trailer but I didn't get a chance. Far to hot to spend too much time outside!!!

Hope to have some time to get the front end on the car and planning to take it by a body shop to have them look it over and give me a good estimate on a paint job!
Car has come a LONG way in a short time man. She was in good hands up there at Camaro Concepts. Thanks again for the tow home, I owe ya one
Old 09-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Sorry for the delayed responses yet again. My build has several months where it goes dormant. I am determined to build this car 100% out of pocket. I have been working a lot out of town lately and have identified a body shop that I trust with working on the car. Several good references and seen the work up close. He is VERY good and local to me. On my way home from work so I can see the car regularly!

He is coming to see the car saturday to give me a good estimate on the car but feels he can stay within my 7-8k budget in and out from blocking to cut/polish. I will update as my discussions with him proceed.

His shop is full right now for his custom/restorations. He said maybe 1-2 months before he will take on another project, so I plan to leave him with a deposit to hold my spot. He says 3-4 months after taking it in to completion.

One thing he mentioned was to put the subframe I plan to run in the car prior to final body work so we can make sure the front end fits on the frame that will ultimately be in the car. Now I have to push to sell the 2010 so I can buy the subframe!!!

Do you guys have any advice as to what questions to ask him when he comes to view the car? I have already been by his shop but want to be sure I have my bases covered. I have already discussed underside of the car and we're going to do lizard skin on the entire underside. Will check what paint to be used. What do you guys suggest? Remember, the car will see time on the road.

William
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM

Roy at Camaro concepts has worked on my car as well. Best place to take your car. You will get it back quick and its done right.

Any of you guys in the Houston area needing sheet metal work or parts shouldn't even consider using anyone else.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 PM

Agreed, I was VERY happy with their work. For that, any small parts I need, I call them first to see if I can get them local. Good group over there and I recommend anyone in the area to take their car in. Honest and fair with pricing and work. Timeline they worked on if anything was FASTER than I had expected!

William
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 PM

She's looking great!

Theres always such excitement at that stage for me...well...maybe thats every stage. I just love cars.

You'll love that T-56. I have one in my 66 Chevelle and its flat out amazing.

Our 66 Chevelle Build Thread:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285211
Old 10-16-2012, 06:27 PM

Car had a T56 in it when it was an LT1/6spd. I'm going built T56 now to handle the power.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 10-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
Car had a T56 in it when it was an LT1/6spd. I'm going built T56 now to handle the power.
Ah okay. Mines behind a very mild 454. Been beating it up for a few years now and no issues. Definitely a nice upgrade over the 4 speed my car did have.

Our 66 Chevelle Build Thread:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285211
Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 PM

Well little update. Today I took advantage of MCB Black Friday sales an picked up a full set of Marquez lights. Got the standard 3d tail lights with backup lights, turn signals and marker bezels.

I also got the DSE subframe powdercoated and assembled. Solid bushings (stock height) an stainless hardware.

My painter called and said he is ready for the car. Going to get the subframe installed and welded into the car along with the DSE subframe connectors. An have a 6pt custom Chrome moly cage out in as well.

Going to be an expensive and exciting 4 months or so but it will be well worth it. I will update as I can but I've been spending most days offshore or away from home. Pictures will be tough to take until Feb or so.

William
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 AM

Well the car is out of my hands for now. Dropped it off at the paint shop yesterday and then took the subframe connectors, quadralink brackets and rearend to the chassis shop.

Paint shop
They're going to try and have the car in the first coat of primer by the end of the week. Blocking to start next week. In talking to him it looks like we'll hopefully stick to the 2-3 month expected duration. Discussed with him about a few additional touches (nothing serious, just small things like rolling the wheel wells) and he has a paid of 345/30/19s we're going to test fit and work with until we have room for them

Chassis shop
Painter is going to work with these guys and get the subframe installed and welded into the subframe connectors/car as soon as it arrives. They're going to install the rearend and bracketry and set it all up. They have a mock up engine/T56 that they will put in as I am planning to run the motor mounts that move the engine back ~1.5". This will give me more room up front for "accessories." While the car is with them they will also install the 6 point cage that now has been decided to just have removable rear bar, and fixed door bars. They're going to fab up a custom transmission crossmember as well that is welded into the car with just a bolted plate for the mount.

I'm excited and nervous. Hoping I can have the car DONE (painted and caged) by mid March. Lets hope these two guys can stick to their schedules!

William
Attached Images

2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 PM

sounds like you are really building one heck of a car,good luck