Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 07-31-2018, 08:34 PM

Default What to do in Austin?

My youngest daughter is getting married two weeks from today in Austin.

Looks like we will be there for 4-5 days.

Anything I shouldn't miss?

Ive only been to Barton Creek, and the Capitol. I took a machining class there about 12 years ago and didn't have control of the agenda.

Thanks, Joe

My 68 Torino
Old 08-01-2018, 04:20 PM

Not sure what you like to do but there are lots of good places to eat and drink. Also can stop by COTA if you want to check out the track or look up local concerts that are in town. Here's a few thoughts

Car Stuff - Not too much I can think of - COTA (almost every week there is a HPDE with lots of exotics and interesting cars), Maybe a burnout in Greg's new truck....

Outside stuff
Barton Springs, Deep Eddy Pool, Paddle Board/Canoe on lake Austin, Short hike to Mount Bonnell

Bat Fest is coming up, I've never been but looks interesting. People really like watching the bats at night on the Congress Bridge http://www.roadwayevents.com/event/bat-fest/

Food/Drinks
BBQ - Franklin, Saltlick, Le Barbecue are some of my favorites (Bryan may not agree), Stubbs for BBQ and possible concert
Tacos/tex Mex - so many tacos - Taco Deli, Valentina's, Torchey's, Polvo's, Chuy's, Hula Hut on lake Austin
Other Food - Justine's, The Brewers Table, Uchi, Eastside King, Barlatta, Odd Duck

Oasis on lake travis for a nice view and mediocre food (brewery usually does have a wait, still has a view and better food)

Lots of breweries you can look up, I'm not a beer snob so cant recommend.
Wickey becoming more popular - Still by St Elmo area has a pretty good whiskey and some wine in commercial area
Fredericksburg for a ok wine tasting
Deep Eddy Vodka

Partying/bars
Fun relaxed places on the east side. I like Whistlers and White horse but lots of choices
Rainey St has lots of bars of all kinds and is casual. Fun to hang out but also outside and its hot right now. Graj Majal is tasty Indian food and Via 311 pizza at Craft Pride (craft beer) was liked by Rob and Dave
Far south Moontower is a fun outside bar

6th st (dirty 6th) is the tourist and college area, I'm not a fan.
West 6th area is better looking people but too showy for me. Not a fan anymore
The Following User Says Thank You to gerno For This Useful Post:
jarhead (08-02-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 04:53 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerno View Post
Lots of breweries you can look up, I'm not a beer snob so cant recommend.
Wickey becoming more popular - Still by St Elmo area has a pretty good whiskey and some wine in commercial area
Fredericksburg for a ok wine tasting
Deep Eddy Vodka
This is pretty good list, to take on a few points further i'd say the following:

Brewery:
If you're into craft beer and like "sours" then I highly recommend going to Jester King. Probably the coolest brewery in the state IMO. Very craft inspired, cool outdoor area (prob be damn hot). Have a nice pizza place to eat at also. I like it enough I've driven from Houston on a day trip to go to Jester King for some of their "special releases."

Fredricksburg is a neat place too, "good" wine for Texas and generally ends up a good time. Can get a place there and there are shuttles that take you and drop off ant many of the wineries on the bluebonnet trail.

I would say if you have time head down towards San Antonio and you can see the Alamo or spend time on the riverwalk. Alamo is pretty small but close to riverwalk so can hit up both same day. Lots of good restaurants but do your research as the river is very touristy.

If you like floating and drinking, you'll be just north of the most popular places to hit up river floats and it's a good time to go right now. Comal, Guadalupe and Frio (there are a couple others but those are the big ones).
2018 GMC Denali HD
The Following User Says Thank You to will69camaro For This Useful Post:
jarhead (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 AM

thanks for all the great information !

BTW, we were there last year and did stay in San Antonio fr a few days. It was allot of fun!

My 68 Torino
Old 08-03-2018, 07:56 PM

One more car-related idea. COTA has a karting track now that I hear good things about. I haven't been myself, but need to.

We have another smaller track called The Driveway, it's closer to downtown. They also do karting on the weekends, but they sometimes cancel if it's too hot.

Food - Austin has really improved the dining options over the last 10 years. Plenty of great places to go!

If you have a whole day to kill, you can look into floating down one of the rivers in New Braunfels. It's about 30 minutes south of Austin downtown, you rent a tube and hop on the water. 4-6 hours later, you get out and get a ride back to your car.

You can rent bicycles at multiple places around the Lady Bird Lake trail (I call it by it's previous name, Town Lake). It's the 10 mile hike and bike trail near downtown.

There are also Segway tours available around the downtown area. I haven't done it, but they look fun.

Bat Fest is a fun event, I have been. Several bands all day, it's on the bridge for South Congress in downtown. It will be hot, but still a fun event.

You can rent canoes and stand-up paddle boards on Lady Bird Lake and get out on the water if you want. There are always a lot of people out on the weekends.

If you feel like catching a movie, I suggest the Alamo Drafthouse. You get to eat in your seat (the food is good!) and drink if you want (beer, wine, some liquor). Get there a bit early, the pre-movie entertainment is fun (not the commercials of a normal theater, and it varies by the movie). There are multiple locations, I prefer the South Lamar one (I live close by) or the Mueller location. Really depends on what's close to you. (the pizzas are great and the chocolate cookies are a must have!)

We have a couple of comedy venues that can be fun, depending on what you like. Cap City Comedy Club is on the north side of town, and Esthers Follys is on 6th Street. Be forewarned, Esther's tends to political-based comedy, so may or may not be your thing.

More Brewpub recommendations: ABGB, Black Star Coop, The Brewatorium (friends of mine own this one, good variety of food and beer).

Mount Bonnell. Short hike up a cliff gets you a nice view both into downtown as well as out towards the Pennybacker bridge. It's a cliff on Lake Austin, and when you look down you see some prime lake property. It's a 10-15 minute walk up once you park, worth the time.

Austin is a fun city, definitely lots to do. Traffic can be a pain, so if you are trying to get across town, make sure you allocate some time.

Have a great trip!
The Following User Says Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:
jarhead (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 11:13 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Best bet is to drive NORTH for about 40 minutes to ANDICE --- and go check out my '40 at Custom Hot Rods of Andice....

They do have one or two other projects that could be considered just as interesting.....
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
jarhead (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 06:49 PM

Thanks Greg, I may just do that!

My 68 Torino
Old 08-11-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Best bet is to drive NORTH for about 40 minutes to ANDICE --- and go check out my '40 at Custom Hot Rods of Andice....

They do have one or two other projects that could be considered just as interesting.....

Well, Shi#
Saturday at 4:59 P.M looks like we will be passing by Hotrods of Andice and Hammerfab a little too late today.

Going to come back Monday when all the women are out doing nails...

Austin bound and down

My 68 Torino
Old 08-25-2018, 06:53 PM

Well it's a done deal now...

I lose a very gifted Motor-Head, Scientist, and friend, But I gained a very smart son-in-law.

Kasey and Mom (Joni) and then Jim and Kasey
Attached Images

My 68 Torino
The Following User Says Thank You to jarhead For This Useful Post:
fleetus macmullitz (08-26-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 08:21 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Good for you Joe!!

That's the best way to go -- you didn't lose anything or anyone - hopefully you gained a great Son in law. I know I've been trying to convince my MIL of that for 40 years.... LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
jarhead (08-25-2018)