Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-02-2018, 10:23 AM

Beautiful work Craig. I was down in Orlando late in July and almost drove up to see the car and introduce myself in person. Your thread gives me inspiration for my Volvo build.
The Following User Says Thank You to 68EFIvert For This Useful Post:
Ron Sutton (08-07-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
Beautiful work Craig. I was down in Orlando late in July and almost drove up to see the car and introduce myself in person. Your thread gives me inspiration for my Volvo build.
Thanks Darreld. I hope that inspiration isn't work on everyones car but your own!

Your car is really turning into something special. Can't wait to see it with the body and paint complete.

Anytime your this way, you are more than welcome to come by. Always here...

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJD Automotive For This Useful Post:
68EFIvert (08-02-2018), Ron Sutton (08-07-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 03:39 PM

How did you bend/form that tunnel after the bad were in it?

Thanks

My 68 Torino
Old 08-18-2018, 03:42 PM

I didn’t! That’s why I used straight beads. Ran in through my slip roll and then through the bead roller with the table off.

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."
Old 08-18-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD Automotive View Post
I didn’t! That’s why I used straight beads. Ran in through my slip roll and then through the bead roller with the table off.
good to know, I was really scratching my head on that.

I don't have a slip roll but I could try an argon bottle, then the Mittler.

Think I'll try a test piece or two in smaller scale.

Thanks!

My 68 Torino
Old 08-19-2018, 04:49 PM

Just read all the way through this, I love it! Seems like you had some blueprint issues? I used to have a 70 Swinger 340 auto so I have always been partial to mopar . Keep at it!
Old 11-09-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McMahon View Post
Just read all the way through this, I love it! Seems like you had some blueprint issues? I used to have a 70 Swinger 340 auto so I have always been partial to mopar . Keep at it!
Thanks. We'll just say "issues".

Started back on it, time to build headers. Everything about this is going to be a fight for space.
I want the turbo's high enough to drain (don't want to mess with a sump, another pump, check valves, etc), but far enough back to help with weight distribution.
This leaves me very little options for mounting, so a pocket in the firewall is my only option. This will necessitate cold side plumbing in the cowl, and water-to-air intercoolers behind the dash.
The first hurdle is going to be the long (for a turbo application) tube headers. Okay, second hurdle, first is this is a Mopar that no one makes a flange for. I sent Aaron Oberle the measurements and an idea of how I wanted them and he responded with a very trick file:

Couple of tweaks back and forth and ready to be made. Dropped off some 1/2" 304SS to the water jet guy and got these:

I grabbed my scrap when I picked up the flanges because I had an idea...

This slug is a perfect match to the port profile, and will make a nice forming tool. I reduced it's perimeter by about 0.050" to account for tubing wall thickness, rounded the edge that gets driven into the tube, and polished to keep it from grabbing. Drilled a hole (calibrated eyeball must be off center) and added a handle to have something to beat on!

I formed the tube, slid it in the flange and formed it again:

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

Last edited by CJD Automotive; 12-04-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:43 PM

Pretty happy with the transition:

Thought I would give the ICE kit a try and see if it made the job any easier. I've always built 321 SS headers by first mocking them up from steel and then transfer to stainless. Just too expensive to screw up a 321 SS tube.
My space is so tight, seemed like a great time to try it:

So the easy part...need to have spark plug access, be able to remove the valve covers, clear a 335 tire at full lock, clear the coil over, clear the steering linkage, and last but not least, run equal length, long (for a turbo) primary tubes, using only 3" circle bends, that exit between the tire and firewall to mate to the turbo. I've laid this out at least 5 times, so going to give the kit an A on time savings. I stopped caring what it looked like and just concerned with everything clearing and primaries the same length. This is the first example of when all that came together, not the prettiest layout, but meets the "design criteria"!

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

Last edited by CJD Automotive; 11-09-2018 at 03:03 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJD Automotive For This Useful Post:
68EFIvert (11-09-2018), DBasher (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:12 PM

Great work, Craig! Glad to see you back at it and moving forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to DBasher For This Useful Post:
CJD Automotive (11-10-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:32 PM

Thanks for making the prettiest header flanges in the world--the world needed that. Seriously, it's great to see that you are back working on this beast. Sites like this one are seriously lacking in substantive contributions, and your tool-making stuff is the kind of awesomeness that really adds here.

You're probably already aware of this already, but your pipe routing is sounding like it will go in the direction of Mike DuSold's Camara (purposeful mispelling), which is also a twin-turbo setup, with the turbos located right around the footwells. This sounds creepy thinking about it, but hey, it's working for him, and his car is awesome, for a Cameero (purposeful misspelling).

For really cool and purposeful turbo routing/intercooling (single, not twin), check out Paul Faessler's Mustang setup (limits passenger butt space, but whatever): https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar.../break-maiden/. Faessler's son road races a late-model setup that I think has twins, but I'm not sure (Google). Keep at it!

Last edited by rustomatic; 11-09-2018 at 09:04 PM.