Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-18-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
we have built a couple prototype uca and lca with bearings in them. it is more work and more machining. we were going to offer them as an upgrade to the current arm but honestly other that talking it over with Ron you are the first one to mention it. so that being said does it make "Cents" out of dollars ? or the other way around
Blake,

I volunteered to test a set with Roger way back when when I first mentioned it to him. Offer still stands. I did discuss the idea with Ron as well. I'm trying to recall if he told me he had already discussed with you or whether he was going to. Doesn't matter, just interesting history.

I'm certain it's more work/time to build them. The lowers are pretty straightforward I think on how to do it. The upper would need a bit more work, but probably not much (really a different shaft is what I came up with, I had no idea where to get one of those built).

It's hard to know how many people would ultimately be willing to pay the upgrade cost. $500? Probably many. $2000? Probably few. But that's just me thinking...

Thanx for chiming in. Now back to the Missile!
Old 08-18-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

I'm having a friend that built many chassis and raced Trans Am cars and many other types... take a look at trying to understand the pluses and minuses of this style rear. So far --- and these are not new folks, they've been around for a long time in various versions --- the prevailing view is "WHY?" -- it's been described as "BUSY" -- "adds complication and parts without any advantages" -- "failure of the acell and decel links causes catastrophic failure when the pinion is free to rotate to the sky".... in other words -- it's more SUTTON SECRET SAUCE that is mostly hype/bullsh!t and dependence building (on him)
Being one who really can’t afford to change this setup, I’ll need to figure out how to make it work. Greg is correct about a link failure being catostrophic. I have made safety tethers for mine to prevent over rotation in either direction should a link bend or fail. What makes me think that is a probability and not a possibility? This is a Trans Am car back when they ran 3-links. The link sits almost next to you in a VERY beefy structure. You can see the adjustment knob and slot are also very beefy. This, for engines that make 500-550 ft. Lbs of torque.

Compared to what me, Greg, and others are using:

I found this concerning after assembling, the first thing I thought was, “holy crap, if this breaks or bends, nasty things will happen. Better make a pair of safety tethers”. Would have hoped the person designing this would have had the same fore thought.

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."

Last edited by CJD Automotive; 08-18-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@BOS View Post
I think it would actually be advantageous to update the geometry of what's on the the Dirt Missile to what Speed Tech is using. It really is dirt track stuff at the moment. It is either from Howe or copied from Howe, and as Mike at Muscle Rodz pointed out, I'm pretty sure the current lower control arms are actually going to lose caster under compression because they are not mounted parallel to the longitudenal centerline of the car.
Okay, this post is about suspension and not intended to be a defense of any particular person or company. Fair enough?

Here is a quote from Blake's post number 578 in this thread:

"I feel that the design and performance of our subframes and chassis are the top of the Line. We did all the design EXCEPT the geometry on the front suspension, which Ron did and I think you are starting to see some pretty well built competitive cars out there now."

Dirt Missile has a track only high-travel/low-roll suspension with a very stiff front swaybar and specific scrub radius, dynamic caster gain, and Ackermann to make it work on track. Plug it in a suspension analyzer and you will see what I mean. (I have) It doesn't really matter if the components are dirt track, asphalt late model, or GT prototype as long as they produce the desired geometry. With that said, I agree that the LCA is probably a little light duty for this application, and I would change it. Pro-touring cars, out of absolute necessity, have some compromises to make them work on the street. You don't want a front suspension that easily travels 4 inches in compression, with no roll, or you would never get in or out of a drive-way. And, with wide tires in a production car chassis it is very difficult to get anywhere near zero scrub - something a good race car needs for turn-in. You need to decide whether you want a street (capable) car or a race car.

I subscribe to the high-travel/low-roll philosophy for a track car. I use Speed Tech's ATS spindles adapted to different length Howe ball joint studs, JRi shocks, a 2000# rate sway bar, and my own fabricated control arms. The LCAs are a little heavier than I would like, but they provide some insurance for the stress of big tires and big brakes, and they accommodate a 335 with 9 inches of wheel backspacing, which gets me to a near-zero scrub radius.

Pappy

Name:  Corvette 56 control arms 1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  Corvette LCA 2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  55.6 KB
The Following User Says Thank You to mfain For This Useful Post:
Matt@BOS (08-21-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Good posts Craig and Pappy.....

We will all figure this crap out. I let Sutton have his way with the DM - it was "ALL HIM".

NOW -- it will be NONE OF HIM.

I've been doing this for a good long time.... I/we all know junk when we see it.... Pappy and SpeedTech LCA's are well done (seems to me).... vs the DM lightweight (maybe a little Collin Chapman here...) single breakable / foldable / trash.

The whole rear end thing??? Jury is out for me.... We'll see what some serious actual experts have to say. If they start scratching their chin and searching for words..... LOL We'll get the saws out and go to town.... I'm not driving - nor asking anyone else to drive something that I feel would be unsafe. This crap is hard enough without having nightmares over it before you ever get on track.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:59 PM

Greg, I log off for a week, and look what you've done with the place! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

If there's one thing I know about you Greg, it's that you tell it like it is. Be it good, bad, or indifferent. It's ****ty to watch things go down like they have, but if anyone can bounce back from this, it's you.
GregWeld (08-18-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
COOL
BTW I have a line up right now if you were to come and start on Monday we could get to Gregs much faster
Blake if it means getting that crazy bastard in the car faster I'm in.
The Following User Says Thank You to DOOM For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Blake if it means getting that crazy bastard in the car faster I'm in.
Love you buddy and I know you mean it!!

She'll be okay -- The boys have a lot on their plate -- but this isn't their first goat rodeo - and my worst fears are probably overblown as far as the mechanical stuff. So we may have a look at the body - and bypass that in favor of getting her back on track -- all depends on what the Mayo tells me in October.... thumbs down and I'll ask them to just get it "running" and fix the suspension in the front end..... Thumbs up and we'll let them make it a cool race car... and I'll just run Old faithful - Old Yeller.

In the meantime -- I'm trying to get the '40 finished for the tour this month -- I've sold my house, and have to move while away on tour (not missing it).... So we're flying to Scottsdale in the morning to have a quick look at some stuff.... oh -- and toss in a trip to Laguna Seca with Alex for the IMSA races -- and a trip to Napa for Birthdays for Me - Adrienne, and Payton King (they share the same b'day).... and trailer the POS to St George..... and let's see what else I can heap on the plate!!
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
jarhead (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

In the meantime -- I'm trying to get the '40 finished for the tour this month -- I've sold my house, and have to move while away on tour (not missing it).... So we're flying to Scottsdale in the morning to have a quick look at some stuff.... oh -- and toss in a trip to Laguna Seca with Alex for the IMSA races -- and a trip to Napa for Birthdays for Me - Adrienne, and Payton King (they share the same b'day).... and trailer the POS to St George..... and let's see what else I can heap on the plate!!
lol and i thought i was busy!!! you are going to log a lot of miles in the next 3 weeks!!
Old 08-21-2018, 07:54 PM

Sold the place in Sun Valley already? I know you mentioned you weren't into skiing any more. Figured you still liked the place enough to stay though.

That's a lot on your plate just with the car let alone the truck and everything else. Good luck getting it all done. Be sure to enjoy the trips along the way.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Sold the place in Sun Valley already? I know you mentioned you weren't into skiing any more. Figured you still liked the place enough to stay though.

That's a lot on your plate just with the car let alone the truck and everything else. Good luck getting it all done. Be sure to enjoy the trips along the way.

I invented the road trip!! Been doing it all my life - a professional road tripper!

LOL

The SV house is not about not wanting to live here - or stay here.... but life has been kinda trying to catch up with me - and I have a lovely wife that doesn't need to be here in this house all alone... She's a biker/hiker - it's a long winter riding the Peloton for her. So.... we're out.

And regarding the full plate. Since May of 2016 -- I don't say "no" much.... I actually think being busy (busy having FUN - not busy working) is good for you. It takes my mind off "me" and focuses me on "what's next".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
gofastwclass (08-21-2018), WILWAXU (08-22-2018)