Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-09-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkswede View Post
Made it over to Eau Claire last week to check out progress on the Nova. Kurt has the engine, transmission, radiator, etc. in and checking clearances all around. We’re also mocking up the path of A/C lines, oil cooler lines, heater hoses and catch can. We’re using the round II Much bulkhead for the Vintage Air EZ-clip hoses. We will use one bulkhead to route hoses from the A/C compressor and water pump through the lower inner fender near the radiator on the passenger side. We’ll route the hoses under the passenger inner fender through a second bulkhead in the firewall into the cabin to connect to the Vintage Air unit.

We’re also working on a custom air intake and intend to have a cone filter that will sit between the driver’s side inner fender and the radiator. We plan to open up the core support in that area to allow cold air to the filter through the grille.

Kurt also fabricated housings into the lower sides of the dash to mount round air vents, similar to what has been done on a number of first gen Novas built by DSE and others here on the forum. Front seats were test fit and seat brackets installed.

Once we have the air intake built and we’re finished with mock ups, the drivetrain will come out, and we’ll remove the front subframe to allow some final finishing of the firewall, and then we’ll be ready for paint. Here are some recent pictures:

Attachment 71309Attachment 71308Attachment 71307Attachment 71306Attachment 71305Attachment 71304Attachment 71303Attachment 71302

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What model are the Recaros? They look great!
Old 02-10-2020, 11:39 AM

Wow that's nice!

My 68 Torino
Old 02-13-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
Looks awesome. Kurt does very nice work.

Thanks - Kurt is great! I really enjoy working with him!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlped47 View Post
Looking awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!!

Old 02-13-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Love the seats. They look great!

Thanks! I’m really happy with them - think they turned out awesome and should look really good in the car!

Old 02-13-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveezy View Post
What model are the Recaros? They look great!

Thanks! They are Recaro model LS-C seats... produced by Recaro from early 80’s to early 90’s... I bought these and had them completely rebuilt, with new foam bolsters, etc. and was then able to custom cover them in the pattern I wanted.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
Wow that's nice!

Thanks for kind words!

Old 02-13-2020, 07:52 AM

Kurt sent me a couple of new pictures with some additional progress... I’m going to install a radio that will be hidden and operated via Bluetooth on phone, so we filled in the portion of the dash where the factory radio mounted. From the factory, that portion of the dash is flat, but Kurt patched in a piece that has the same contour as the rest of the dash, which should look much cleaner. He also filled in where the ash tray was, as well as the factory locations for ignition switch, lights and wipers. I’m installing a push button RFID start system, so we’ll drill new holes for the starter button, as well as light and wiper switches. Here are before and after pictures:
Name:  IMG_9251.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  120.1 KB
Name:  imagejpeg_0.jpg
Size:  121.6 KB

Photo with vent installed... we’ll paint the vents a solid black color
Name:  20200210_163837.jpg
Size:  95.6 KB

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkswede For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-14-2020), WILWAXU (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 05:21 PM

Drove to Eau Claire on Saturday to meet Kurt. He’s been busy mocking up various things: vintage air unit, clutch and brake pedal assemblies, making bracket for drive by wire throttle pedal, installing seat brackets, steering column, etc. He wanted me to stop by and check out seating position. Everything felt great, although we’re going to take 1/2” of height out of the seat brackets. We also mocked up the digital dash to make sure we head a clear line of sight. Took some pictures to give you an idea of things. The steering column in the attached pictures is not set completely in place - it will be about two inches closer to the firewall than shown here. The steering wheel is not what I’m using, either, but an extra that Kurt had lying around the shop.

In this picture, you can see the work he did to fill in the dash where the factory radio and ash tray were located.
Name:  IMG_9714.jpg
Size:  138.4 KB

Here is a shot from the driver seat... digital dash is going to work awesome!
Name:  IMG_9716.jpg
Size:  208.1 KB

Here is a picture of driver seat installed... they turned out great and fit the car really well. Height of seat is perfect.
Name:  IMG_9715.jpg
Size:  223.7 KB

Here is a picture of Momo wheel that I’m using...
Name:  IMG_0465.jpg
Size:  205.4 KB

This week he will be mocking up the air conditioning condenser, drier, etc, as well as finishing up some work on the firewall before paint, which is getting closer. He’ll also finish test fitting all of the headlight bezels, parking light bezels, grille, etc.

syborg tt (12-14-2020), WILWAXU (03-01-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 09:52 PM

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe... drove over to Eau Claire today to see progress on the Nova. Kurt had the air conditioning unit installed, was nearly finished with the cold air intake, and had completed the extensions he built for the bottom of the dash. The extensions are a subtle change, but really add some needed height to the dash and do a nice job of hiding things that might otherwise be seen when looking at the dash (e.g., the air conditioning unit is largely hidden now, as is the mount for the gas pedal, etc.) We also installed the short hub adapter and mocked up the steering wheel.

Kurt also sprayed out a test panel for the body color (shark gray metallic) and trim (carbon flash metallic). I really love the colors and can’t wait to see them on the car.

Here are some pictures of the progress. Below are some pictures of the cold air intake. We will run the polished aluminum tube through the bead blaster and have it powder coated black. In order to get the air filter past the radiator, Kurt cut a hole in the inner fender and will weld in a new dished panel to cover that hole, providing a pocket for the filter to sit into. He will then cut a large hole in the radiator fill panel providing a direct path for fresh air to the filter. The pictures below are not the final cuts - these initial cuts were just enough to allow the filter to sit into the pocket. Kurt will open the pocket up approximately 3/4” on all sides to ensure adequate air flow to the filter.
Name:  IMG_9757.jpg
Size:  259.9 KB
Name:  IMG_9756.jpg
Size:  228.8 KB
Name:  IMG_9758.jpg
Size:  251.6 KB

Below are some pictures of the interior showing the steering wheel installed (minus the horn button). You can also see the lower dash extensions, which still need to be primed, in these photos.
Name:  IMG_9761.jpg
Size:  130.0 KB
Name:  IMG_9762.jpg
Size:  125.4 KB
Name:  IMG_9760.jpg
Size:  195.1 KB
Below are some pictures of the test panel that Kurt sprayed. A little tough to capture on my phone’s camera, but took a few different pictures with and without flash to try to better show the metallic in the colors. Name:  IMG_9763.jpg
Size:  259.1 KB
Name:  IMG_9764.jpg
Size:  100.9 KB
Name:  IMG_9766.jpg
Size:  65.4 KB

Roscoe03 (03-24-2020), syborg tt (08-03-2020)