Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 09-21-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
In addition to saving, I think it's very important to have solid long term goals and vision. That's really what keeps you saving aggressively. It's amazing once we have a target, how often we are drawn subconsciously. I can't tell you how many times I've written down a goal and achieved it and went, wow, this really works. Many times I've nearly forgot about it, but it was ground way down in my mind. The key is to write it down, scheme and plot, and then start down the path.
Funny thing about setting goals I've read a couple different places recently. Apparently, in studies they found that people that told other people what their goals were achieved them much less frequently than those that kept them to themselves. I love psychology, even though I am nowhere near a psychologist, but somehow telling other people causes you to lose a lot of your drive to achieve the goal. I can't explain why but when I thought about it I realized that is definitely true for me.

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133
Old 09-22-2016, 12:12 AM

Let me guess, you found it on the internet? Seriously, I've never read that, but I'm sure for some it's true. I could see that happening in a forced accountability situation like a job and an amiable personality. That seems like the logical place they came up with those results, in the workplace.

Motive is also a key component. As the great, late, Jim Rohn once said, "When the why gets strong, the how gets easy".

I really don't think it makes much difference for me. If I want something bad enough, I don't need someone to spur me along. I think accountability would benefit me more with goals of lower value.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:44 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I'm still out here "on the road" from the GoodGuys Hall of Fame Tour.... and haven't paid ANY attention to the market - despite actually placing a couple orders while Rudy was driving down the road at mach 2...

Today I was looking at Altria (MO) as I sold mine to offset a huge loss position I'd written about earlier here.

Here's what I want to have you think about because it is good food for thought.

MO paid a .41 cent dividend in 2012 -- just four scant years ago..... today's dividend is .61 cents per share - per quarter... AND since then (2012) it's share price has appreciated 132%

Now then..... let's fast forward your hypothetic retirement date..... out 15 years? 20? 25? What do you suppose they'll be paying "then"? And what percentage return will that look like when they're paying $1.20 per share per quarter and your cost basis in 2012 @ $27 bucks a share. And all the while back in 2012 when the share price was outrageously high P/E and the market was soaring and you were just certain you were paying the all time peak high price......

Yep - that's how ya get 'er done.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
MO paid a .41 cent dividend in 2012 -- just four scant years ago..... today's dividend is .61 cents per share - per quarter... AND since then (2012) it's share price has appreciated 132%

Now then..... let's fast forward your hypothetic retirement date..... out 15 years? 20? 25? What do you suppose they'll be paying "then"? And what percentage return will that look like when they're paying $1.20 per share per quarter and your cost basis in 2012 @ $27 bucks a share. And all the while back in 2012 when the share price was outrageously high P/E and the market was soaring and you were just certain you were paying the all time peak high price......

Yep - that's how ya get 'er done.
Still have my MO... keeping it thanks! Bought it January 2012 for $28.71.

I have some cash sitting in the 401k account, I am considering GPS. It is different than my other holdings in the 401 and I think they will be doing well over the next 5-10 years.

Attached picture is my current mix. HYH is a small amount, I received it when it was spun off from Abbott I think. The remainder are each somewhere between 7-10% of the total. Any comments about GPS or my mix?
Attached Images

Body & Paint:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...dy-2014.10252/

Engine:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...ictures.10230/
Old 10-07-2016, 11:29 AM

I really need to get back into this and start taking it a little more seriously than I have as of late.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:19 AM

Since Greg is the OP of this epic thread I'll address this post to him, but it applies to anyone reading.

In many ways it's a good thing that this thread goes dormant for weeks or months at a time. You've discussed how the key is to get invested in good companies and not worry about the weekly (or daily) turmoil that we see in the market. I consider the recent periods of silence in this thread to be proof that the mantra of 'time in the market, not timing the market' is working. That is one of the greatest lessons this thread has instilled.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnight View Post
Since Greg is the OP of this epic thread I'll address this post to him, but it applies to anyone reading.

In many ways it's a good thing that this thread goes dormant for weeks or months at a time. You've discussed how the key is to get invested in good companies and not worry about the weekly (or daily) turmoil that we see in the market. I consider the recent periods of silence in this thread to be proof that the mantra of 'time in the market, not timing the market' is working. That is one of the greatest lessons this thread has instilled.

Well.... This thread was started by WSSix (Trey) so we really should all be thanking him.

And you're absolutely correct.... The thread has ALWAYS been about great companies - dividends - and get in it to win it.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Great thread that is going on here with alot of good info!

When I opened the thread, I accidentally clicked this link and it froze my browser up with some page about kidney cancer . Just thought I'd share that, lol.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Well.... This thread was started by WSSix (Trey) so we really should all be thanking him.
Ooops! Reading comprehension fail...Props to Trey too!
Old 10-11-2016, 09:44 AM

Default Altria (MO)

Found this interesting "note" about Altria (MO) and another well known large company....

Remember - we like to keep track of fundamental changes - this isn't a fundamental change "per se".... but a significant stake in another company is something that should be at least noted but the shareholders. Will it be good going forward?? IDK - booze always sells - recession or boom times....

Just thought I'd post it is all.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/as-anheu...act-1476191713