Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > How To's, Tips, and Tricks
User Name
Password

Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 AM

About the Craftsman truck tail gate, I mae remember wrong but didnt RS stamped that text?

And about bead rollers, there are cheap one and there is good ones.

Internet is full of info how to make HF roller stiffer but none about hot to stiffing Mittler Bros, Lazze's or JS-tools.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I'm sorry -- I got a good chuckle out of your misery.... and it's not because of you personally doing something... but how many times I read or see people thinking that what they see on the internet (like the builds on here) -- is just --- Get a machine and start makin' stuff! Welding -- fab -- bending -- English wheel -- whatever.....

I don't have, nor have I ever used, a bead roller - but I KNOW it's not nearly as simple as the people that can do it, make it look. I remember the tailgate for the Craftsman truck that was made at The RS... and thinking WOW!! That dude has some serious skills 'cause I can't even figure out how he made that thing!!
can't learn if you don't try. Some people are just naturals and others have to be shown. You should know this man.

Reminds me of when I was young. I love fish so I decided to build a boat. My dad wouldn't help so I bought some wood, tar, nails and rope. 3 weeks later I drug that thing out to the lake down by the golf course. Put it in the water and that sucker sank faster than I could say "crap". Lessons learned that day, too much tar and too many gaps makes a bad boat. I figured it made a nice habitat for the local fish in the lake. Did I mention that I like fish?

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11

Last edited by Vince@Meanstreets; 05-10-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:06 PM

Good idea on the table guys. The piece I'm working with is roughly 48x32 and I can hold it level while rolling the bead but my right shoulder nearly burst into flames.

Greg, getting machines and start making stuff, exactly!

Yeah I 'might' have a $45 sheet of steel ready for the dumpster because it's so warped, and I 'might' have freaked out and went ballistic on the second one and put 15 holes in it with a hammer, and 'maybe' the 3rd one will work out. (seems like it will lay out fairly good, if I tack weld it from the inside out).

With persistence I will gain experience.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
Good idea on the table guys. The piece I'm working with is roughly 48x32 and I can hold it level while rolling the bead but my right shoulder nearly burst into flames.

Greg, getting machines and start making stuff, exactly!

Yeah I 'might' have a $45 sheet of steel ready for the dumpster because it's so warped, and I 'might' have freaked out and went ballistic on the second one and put 15 holes in it with a hammer, and 'maybe' the 3rd one will work out. (seems like it will lay out fairly good, if I tack weld it from the inside out).

With persistence I will gain experience.
..if you had an english wheel you could have fixed those.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
..if you had an english wheel you could have fixed those.
I've seen guys pre stretch with an english wheel. Seems to help but still not perfectly flat.

I didn't know you could repair it afterwords with a wheel.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 AM

^ yes you can. Even those hammer dings.

you will leave marks from the roller dies but you will get it straight. On your EW use flattest dies and very little pressure.

I have shown to my customer that you can hit a piece with ball headed hammer and get it fix using EW and shrinking disc.

But I havent seen or heard that you can fix warped piece with EW by wheeling next to bead... Have to try one day.

Prestreching should be done with narrow or curve die and some pressure on as narrow area as you gonna run the bead. You should not go out side of that area.

Lazze has great clips about that:
part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XBxVtocDqc
part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjPZ9ljZ10
Old 05-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Not dings lol, actual holes. I've seen those Lazze videos, he is awesome!

I see he makes multiple passes with the bead dies. I'm doing this in one pass with an 1/8 step die.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:53 PM

I think you would still benefit prestreching and you also could do multi pass. I know it would be challenging to follow previous line.

If you dont have EW, you can do prestreching with plannishing hammer. That one will make material thinner faster than EW.

Two Finnish metal shaping teachers took all the classes from Lazze and are giving same classes...I have taken some...

Last edited by SuperB70; 05-11-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Another way is to prestretch the metal with a planishing hammer. Baileigh has a well priced planishing hammer that will do everything you need and comes with a good selection of dies... A planishing hammer with a flat die also works wonders for flatting things out that you've buggered up by hand. It really is one of those... "Why didn't I buy this before?" tools.

http://metal.baileighindustrial.com/...ammer-ph-24a-1

I'm warning you though... sell the bead roller and just walk away. This is how I started down the rabbit hole.... "but I just want to bead roll some firewall and apron panels...."

The bead roller leads to the planishing hammer.... the planishing hammer leads to the english wheel... the english wheel leads to the shrinker/stretcher... This all leads to your 30" 3-in-1 machine not being enough so you sell it at a swap meet and buy 48"-50" Shear and roller, and of course the regular brake isn't good enough when you can buy the magnetic brake.. Somewhere along the line you end up at a Baileigh Industrial class and come home with a power hammer and a plasma table... Lets not forget the band saws, the beverly shear, the power shear, the hand snips, the cleko pins, the hammers, dollies, anvils, dies for the bead roller and the hammers...... And then you have to buy or build stuff to store all of the dies and dollies and anvils....

Hello my name is Sean... and I started metal shaping....

1970 Chevelle I built years back as a Lat-G Feature https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=43116

Last edited by Revved; 02-02-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:45 AM

But bead rolling is fun and easy way to build nice things. Even with out buying expensive stuff. I know that Shane can and will hook everybody how wants. They do have nice tools...

and go straight to magnetic brake.

Here are some of my pieces. Made with home made machine and dies.