Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 AM

Default 67 Camaro w/ Prodigy 4 Link -Hotchkis 2nd Gen rear sway bar (2236R)?

Alright everyone I'm getting to a point that I need to order my sway bars. I've read some short posts from Mary & David that some of first gens guys that have 4 links run the hotchkis second gen sway bar in the rear as it is easier to fit with everything. Just wanted to confirm before I pull the trigger on something that wont work for me. Was also thinging about Hellwig too but not sure of fitment..suggestions? Id love ride-techs stuff but it is a bit pricey atm..

Heres my set up:

Front
LSX 454 GMPP crate motor
Mast Motorsport Oil pan
Dynatech Headers - 1-7/8" to 3" collectors
S&P Motor adapters-stock location
Stock control arms
Stock location steering box w/ all linkage

Rear:
QA1 front coil-overs
Ricks Stainless Tank -clipped corners
Moser 12 bolt
Prodigy 4 link w/ QA1 coil-overs
DSE mini tub
Magnaflow 3" w/ X-pipe dumped before the rear axle.

Thanks, Steven
Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 PM

Talk with Mark at SC&C, I think the Hellwig will work and it is adjustible.

68 Camaro, LS1 T56, DSE Speed Kit 2, DSE Quadralink, DSE Mini Tub, Forgelines, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, GM Tilt Column, Corbeau Seats
2012 Dodge 3500 4x4 6.7L Diesel CCSB
Old 08-16-2012, 02:14 PM

Hellwig made us a special rear bar for the One Lap Camaro that is available. it's big, but can be softened a lot by using the holes closer to the bar end. It is a good choice for cars with 335's on the rear and 275's on the front. If your fronts are even smaller, the bar will need to be set on one of the stiffer (shorter arm) settings.

Arm ends are just inside the frame rails so a down link will come off the inner frame rails and connect to the bar. Ideally you should weld the frame attachment point. Hellwig provides a bolt in method which can also be welded in.
David

Here is a Hotchkis rear bar on Bad Penny which is similar to the Hellwig bar just lower rate. This bar has a custom end I welded on to make it adjustable. Hotchkis now makes a 3 hole rear bar.
Attached Images

Last edited by David Pozzi; 08-16-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
Hellwig made us a special rear bar for the One Lap Camaro that is available. it's big, but can be softened a lot by using the holes closer to the bar end. It is a good choice for cars with 335's on the rear and 275's on the front. If your fronts are even smaller, the bar will need to be set on one of the stiffer (shorter arm) settings.

Arm ends are just inside the frame rails so a down link will come off the inner frame rails and connect to the bar. Ideally you should weld the frame attachment point. Hellwig provides a bolt in method which can also be welded in.
David

Here is a Hotchkis rear bar on Bad Penny which is similar to the Hellwig bar just lower rate. This bar has a custom end I welded on to make it adjustable. Hotchkis now makes a 3 hole rear bar.
Good Info David, Do you have a part number for that hellwig bar? Is it the 55824? Im thinking of just going with their front and rear bars. As far as compairing them to hotchkis I'm curious to know what your thoughts are. I have 335 rears and will be running 235 up front for now but want to upgrade to an aftermarket sub or tru-turn in the near future which will allow me to run a 275+ in the front. Im looking to make the best decision with room to grow, if that is an option. Thanks for all the help, Steven

Last edited by boostin05blacks; 08-16-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thumbs up

I believe the Prodigy bar (I have one also) is the same as the Ridetech airbar. You might be able to use Ridetech's rear sway. I know some of Franks early bars need a tab welded to it to mount the ridetech bar.
Full of DSE and Holley parts
Old 08-20-2012, 05:30 PM

RideTech should have a rear bar that would work too. If you go that route, I'd get their front bar to match.

The Hellwig One Lap Camaro rear bar is not listed in their catalog. We did not use the 5824, it was too light. You would have to call them and ask about it. It is capable of adjusting to be very stiff at the stiffest setting because we were running a 255 front tire and 335 rear with air conditioning & dry sump up front. It will also adjust to a fairly soft setting because it has a very wide range of adjustment ( lots of holes on the arms).

My hunch is, your rear suspension has a higher roll center height and won't need as much rear bar as we did on the One Lap Camaro, but I don't know for sure. With stock control arms, you should be able to run a 255 front tire on an 8" rim. We fit a 275 but had to run the Speed Tech high clearance upper A arms and limit turn angle. You won't be able to get the optimum amount of positive caster with stock arms, so will have more understeer from that. Ride Tech managed to fit 275's in front on the 48 hour Camaro & retain pretty good turn angle.
David

Last edited by David Pozzi; 08-20-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 PM

Dump the QA1'a and get a set of RideTech coil over's.(SA's) single ajustable's will work great.The ride quaitly of the Ride Tech's over the QA1's will be a awesome improvement.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 PM

I'd call Ridetech since you are running a stock subframe. Your spring rates are a big factor here as well. I had a bar on the rear of my car when I had the low spring rate(175) and it worked well. I found my car to work better with a 275 rear spring rate and no bar though. Since you have no tire up front you are going to need one to counter the lack of front traction as Dave said.

Personally, I'd get more tire on the front before you worry to much about a rear bar. Otherwise, you will be starting over to some degree.

I have a Prodigy bar basically.