Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Man Caves
User Name
Password

Old 11-16-2013, 09:33 PM

Here's a couple picture of my ongoing garage project. It’s adjacent to my house and it’s 50’x100’ with (4) 12’x14’ roll up doors. There is also a parts mezzanine that sits on top of the cecilng for parts storage measures 12’x100’. Now I’m working organizing and outfitting the shop. The most recent addtions are the 2 post lift, compressor and air line plumbing as well as the 220 plugs for the welders.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismag7 View Post
Here's a couple picture of my ongoing garage project. It’s adjacent to my house and it’s 50’x100’ with (4) 12’x14’ roll up doors. There is also a parts mezzanine that sits on top of the cecilng for parts storage measures 12’x100’. Now I’m working organizing and outfitting the shop. The most recent addtions are the 2 post lift, compressor and air line plumbing as well as the 220 plugs for the welders.

Nice!! Now I want to add on to mine......

Chris
70 Chevelle. Roadster Shop Chassis, The shop llc/ Jon Lind interior LS3/6speed. Thanks to Precision Classics and Collision Eugene, Or. http://precision-classics.com/
Build thread:https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39517
Old 11-17-2013, 01:56 PM

Did a little more cleaning and straightening up out there today. had to snap some pics as I never know how long it'll stay this tidy.

I think I'm going to make a rolling fab bench up that I can mount a bench grinder, a drill press, vise, maybe hang my welding gear underneath it and be able to push it back against the wall when not using it, then be able to roll it out into the middle of the shop for the dirty work.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
I think I'm going to make a rolling fab bench up that I can mount a bench grinder, a drill press, vise, maybe hang my welding gear underneath it and be able to push it back against the wall when not using it, then be able to roll it out into the middle of the shop for the dirty work.
You won't regret it.

My small one works very well, if I had more space it would be at least 30x48 - 36x60.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:43 PM

Nice! Thanks for posting the pic.

I like the vice on the stand as well.

I smell a winter project brewing up here.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Nice! Thanks for posting the pic.

I like the vice on the stand as well.

I smell a winter project brewing up here.
Welcome!

That's actually a tubing notcher but you could mount a vice. I built another smaller and lower table with a small vice that I also mount my shear on with c-clamps.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:20 PM

I finally finished my crib stands up today. I've got a couple of projects planned for this winter that require the car to be sitting level and at ride height while I need to get under neath it, so I needed to get these ready first.

Since I plan on using mine mostly for chassis setup and measuring purposes, I needed to build them a bit differently than a lot of guys have. I wanted to have the tops of my stands flat so that the tires sat up on them, not down in them. This will aid in letting me get the car sitting on a perfectly flat and level plane while up in the air enough so that I can get under it and I'll be able to turn the front tires left and right to check caster and what not.

Since I had an odd assortment of 2x4s and 2x6s on hand, I laid them out and cut them up to make these 18" long x 12" wide. Test stacked to make sure I cut them all right.

After nailing them together, I measured the track width and wheelbase on my car and marked the floor exactly in the center of my lift posts. Then carefully measured exactly where the center of all 4 tires will sit and marked places on the floor with tape to represent where the stands will sit. This will show me where to park the car before lifting it with the lift to set on the stands. My floor is not level as the sides fall toward the center where the drain is, so I then needed to shim the bottom of the stands to get all four of them plum and level with each other. This took a while but I finally got them all flat and square.

I marked the stands so I'll know how to put them back in place and I'll clean the floor up real good and remark the tape where they go, then I'll be able to store them out of the way then put them back in exactly the same spots so the car will have a flat level spot to sit on and I'll still be able to get underneath it to make setup changes and adjustments. I'll also be able to set scales on these for four corner weighing and slip plates under the front tires for alignment settings.

I still have to rig up something to use for wheel chocks to keep the car from rolling and test place the car on them, but for the most part...they are ready to use.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:29 PM

^^^ That leveling trick is a good idea. Thanks

My 68 Torino
Old 12-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Thanks, I had to scratch my head a bit when it came time to start leveling. It's hard because if you change the height of one, it changes everything else. I had to find the highest stand, get it leveled, then raise the rest up to it's level while keeping them plumb and square. I think the most one was raised was 1/4-3/8s" but they were all off a little bit.

I can roll that pipe over any two of the stands now and it stays flat on the tops of them all the way across.

The hardest part might have been balancing that level on the round pipe for the photo opps though.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:26 PM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
The old workshop or showroom debate will go on forever. I guess everybody's got to hit their own sweet spot in terms of how they want to use the place and how they'd like it to look.

Mine is reasonably well known on the internets. If it's got a virtue, it's that I did a lot with a small space and a small budget. I'm at 20x20 and $3,500. I shop for damaged industrial stuff and then chop and weld from there. I do automotive work in it, and also some carpentry and metal fabrication.

I did everything myself, including setting the tile and digging the pit for the lift. Everything in the place is second-hand, re-purposed or home-made.

I also made a website for it: http://www.12-gaugegarage.com (This is not spam. I don't make any money off of the website and pay for it out of my own pocket.)

Work benches that fold down from the wall:

And it's got its own a video:

The 12-Gauge Garage Video

And yes, a video just about the lift I put in:

My Garage Lift

Is it always this clean? No. Not by a long shot.

But it does go back to clean very quickly -- that's the real accomplishment of it, I think. I finally took the time to work out a place for everything to go when It's not being used.

In practice, it makes a huge difference not having to spend so much time looking for things you've misplaced. I spent years doing that.

Good to see you over here Jack! I'm carr914 over on Pelican

T.C.