Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 09-04-2008, 11:25 AM

Default still problems with hydraboost

guys i am about at my wits end with the hydraboost.
i have 1000 miles on it, and it still stops the steering if you apply the brakes while turning in a parking lot, during autox etc.
if steering alone it is fine, if braking alone it works fine.
heres what i have done, motor is an ls6 with a re worked turn one pump.and the 2gpm reducer fitting for the gm pump to work with ford rack.

1. installed hydraboost, with return line being t'd into existing return, got pedal push back, and deal with steering.
2.installed a 2nd return above fluid level on my reservoir, this got rid of kickback but steering still stops for a split second if you hit the brakes.
3.called turn one, talked about it, and he suggested i install a higher pressure bypass in the pump, so i got one from him which ups pressure from 1200 to 1500psi, did not help at all.
4.took out 2gpm pressure valve, installed gm 3gpm and still the same problem
what else is there to do? its very annoying, and i really don't want to go to manual brakes but i am not putting a booster on it.
ideas? hydratech doesn't answer emails anymore and there vendors won't help me as i did not buy it from them
Old 09-04-2008, 11:56 AM

Some how you need to get a hold of Paul Clark, his user name is Hydratech, perhaps he will awnser a PM. It is rediculious that they are no longer available to provide technical info. Paul is the master of hydroboost.

Good luck - Rich
Old 09-04-2008, 11:58 AM

yes that is who i bought it from, thru paul directly, i have tried to get ahold of them for awhile now. no luck.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM

Default Hydroboost

I also bought a hydroboost from Paul. Although I haven't set it up yet, I did talk to Paul about it when I bought it. Stock LS1 pump, AGR mustang II rack, Paul's hydroboost. He told me to run full pressure from the pump to the hydroboost (no pressure/flow reducer in pump), then if needed put a Heidt's adjustable power steering valve between the hydroboost and rack. That way the hydroboost gets full pressure. Like I said, I don't know if this works, just what Paul told me to do.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 PM

i follow you but the reducer valve does not reduce pressure, it reduces volume, i called turn one and got a higher bypass valve 1500psi, and that did not help, but i think your terminology just got mixed up.
i have put some miles on it since reinstalling the 3gpm valve and it seems to be getting better.
thanks alot for your help i appreciate it
Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 PM

Default Not to hi jack the thread

but I am running a LS1 pump and an ARG mustang style rack...why the volume reducer?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 PM

reducer is gone now, however sometimes gm cars with ford racks get twitchy at high speed, because the ford rack was designed to receive 2gpm, where as chevy designs there stuff with a 3gpm pump.
that said i think if you were running a car with ford rack and no hydraboost the best bet would be to run the 2gpm fitting, but since the issues i have had, if using the hydraboost, it takes up some volume so the 3 gpm doesn't push the ford rack at all
Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 PM

Thought this link may be of help http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf030542.htm Good luck.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:51 AM

I put a hydroboost in my car last year with good results. Then a few months ago I put a larger pulley on the pump. Now I have a touch of what you describe. Doing some checking, I read that the pump need certain rpms to build up pressure and volume. The bigger pulley slows it down.
So the smaller pulley will be going back on.