Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2006, 06:34 PM

pretty awesome creations. I usually run into a lack of time here and there and end up rushing most parts. Also I do most of my detailing on the cheap, looking for alternate methods to represent certain details. I'm willing, in a lot of instances, to trade a little realism for some cash. lol
Old 03-05-2006, 03:49 PM

well, I had the wheel doubled and assembled. I also got the raised portions attached. I was getting ready to take some pictures, when I realized that Some of the pieces were in upside down. Didn't change the geometry of the wheel. But it did change the proportions in certain areas. Hopefully I can get a good picture up tonight. I dipped the wheel in some water and its in the freezer right now. Hoping that breaks the bonds
Old 03-06-2006, 08:01 AM

Alright. Finally a little eye candy for you guys in the way of wheels. I was not able to disassemble the old wheel. So it ended up in the garbage. I do however, now have a completely assembled wheel. It needs a little clean up and some tweaking along with a little more thickening before it is ready to be cast. I've got an Atomic Physics test on Friday, so I wont have a finished product until this weekend or early next week. I am calling alumilite today to get an RTV kit. Hopefully It will be here by the time that I am ready to mold the wheel. It will also give me some motivation to get the head completed, as I am going to cast it as well so that I don't have to try and duplicate the design. On to the pictures. Let me know what you think!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:06 PM

Got a little more work done this morning and this evening. It will be slow for the rest of the week. I have an atomic test on friday, and a discrete test tomorrow.

Here is what I've finished. I sectioned and reshaped the bumper a bit. I don't like to have the bumper wrap around the car. So I sectioned it and re-shaped the back side a little to allow it to mount in a slightly different location. The drip rails have also been removed for a bit cleaner look. I am still on the fence with the door handles and locks. Not sure If I want to shave them or not. I got my RTV silicone ordered today as well. There are two big steps that are coming up. I've got to create some outer rings for the wheels. I think that I have it figured out, we will see how that works out next week. The suspension is also going to be a BIG challenge (if anyone has some in progress pics of a 3 or 4 link rear suspension on a first gen camaro, also front suspension feel free to share!). Finally I need to make some more progress on the engine. Having the RTV should motivate me enough to get back to work on the heads. Enough rambling, and on to the pictures.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Default Pics

Here are som pics .Dave
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2006, 12:35 PM

A little update for anyone still following this build. I got the holes drilled for the lug bolts. The wheel will be 3 parts. The outer ring, the wheel center, and then the hub mount. They holes for the lug bolts are overdrilled. The holes that will be drilled in the hub mount will be smaller for the actual lug bolts. My RTV showed up yesterday so once I get the wheel cleaned up it will be cast, along with the sectioned rear bumper.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:04 PM

Looks really good Russel, been following this from the beginning.
Nice to see someone modify a 1:12 kit, most seem to build large scale models bone stock...
Itīll be very interesting to see the finished wheels, Iīm going to have my wheels for my 1:12 camaro CNC-machined

Keep up the progress!

/Fredrik (DukeMan)
Old 03-10-2006, 01:08 PM

I wish I could afford to have some machined. I talked to the guy at MAS on here, and He said it would run between 100 and 150 just for sleeves. I've got to leave for work in a bit. I am working on cleaning up the master for the wheels. The bumper is next. Hopefully I'll get a chance sunday to pour the molds.

To clean them up. I am hitting them with primer. Then sanding to finr the high and low spots. Sanding them out and re-priming. After they are cleaned up I'll hit them with a clear coat. that should give a nice smooth finish for the finished products when they are pulled from the mold.

If I decide to stagger the wheel sizes I'll have to go through this again. After I have the sleeves done, I think this might end up scaling out to 20" A bit bigger than I had planned, But generally on models, you have to size up a little bit for them to look right.

Last edited by black2002ls; 03-10-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:11 PM

Oh, I plan on casting the rear bumper too. If you are interested in on, shoot me a pm
Old 03-22-2006, 08:32 AM

alas, the wheels are finally finished. well the centers anyway. I got the mold done finally and have some successful casts. They will require some clean up but overall I am happy with them. I also think that I have found a solution for the sleeves. After all is said and done, they will scale out to 20" wheels. A bit larger than I had hoped for. I didn't realize it until it was too late. More often than not on these cars, a size bigger usually looks just right. On to the pictures