Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Man Caves
User Name
Password

Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
I did everything myself, including setting the tile and digging the pit for the lift. Everything in the place is second-hand, re-purposed or home-made.
The shop is awesome. ^^THIS^^ is even more awesome!

What is that black thing on the wall to the left of the sink?

Jeff-
Old 11-05-2013, 01:47 PM

Thanks, guys!

I don't want to promote too much here. But there's a video made by Petrolicious that shows the lift in use. You've got to put up with me yapping and with everything being all cleaned up for the shoot -- oh, and an old German car, too. But aside from all that...

The funny thing about the 'black thing' is: I picked it up second-hand -- it had never been cleaned up or restored. It had just been sitting around... for about 60 years. I plugged it in and was immediately able to dial my cell phone. It made me wonder: what's so great about today's smart phones? Are they going to be able to effortlessly connect to the network 60+ years from now?

The old things were built like tanks. And I never have to wonder where I set the cell phone down when I hear it ringing.

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 11-05-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks, guys!

I don't want to promote too much here. But there's a video made by Petrolicious that shows the lift in use. You've got to put up with me yapping and with everything being all cleaned up for the shoot -- oh, and an old German car, too. But aside from all that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC5-MoDUuRg

The funny thing about the 'black thing' is: I picked it up second-hand -- it had never been cleaned up or restored. It had just been sitting around... for about 60 years. I plugged it in and was immediately able to dial my cell phone. It made me wonder: what's so great about today's smart phones? Are they going to be able to effortlessly connect to the network 60+ years from now?

The old things were built like tanks. And I never have to wonder where I set the cell phone down when I hear it ringing.

WOW, seriously! What is the chance, I just put up the video of Your car in the open duscussion forum, and then goes here, and here the owner are himself! Putting the same video too.
You have a very cool car, and a very Nice garage
Old 11-05-2013, 02:59 PM

Here is my "real" garage, if you forget the first pic With tiny one

This Place have been used only as a Storage Place for 1-2 years, so excuse the mess for now. Gonna clean it up. So this acts as a contrast to the others Especially With all the mess

Name:  2013-11-05 18.17.27.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  2013-11-05 18.16.50.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  2013-11-05 18.08.50.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  75.9 KB
Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
The old workshop or showroom debate will go on forever. I guess everybody's got to hit their own sweet spot in terms of how they want to use the place and how they'd like it to look.

Mine is reasonably well known on the internets. If it's got a virtue, it's that I did a lot with a small space and a small budget. I'm at 20x20 and $3,500. I shop for damaged industrial stuff and then chop and weld from there. I do automotive work in it, and also some carpentry and metal fabrication.

I did everything myself, including setting the tile and digging the pit for the lift. Everything in the place is second-hand, re-purposed or home-made.

I also made a website for it: http://www.12-gaugegarage.com (This is not spam. I don't make any money off of the website and pay for it out of my own pocket.)

Work benches that fold down from the wall:

And it's got its own a video:

The 12-Gauge Garage Video

And yes, a video just about the lift I put in:

My Garage Lift

Is it always this clean? No. Not by a long shot.

But it does go back to clean very quickly -- that's the real accomplishment of it, I think. I finally took the time to work out a place for everything to go when It's not being used.

In practice, it makes a huge difference not having to spend so much time looking for things you've misplaced. I spent years doing that.

This is one bad a$$ preped garage.I need you to come over and help me fix mine up.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:33 AM

While the chevelle is away I got started on finishing mine. It was open walled. I ran copper airline throughout, insulated and am starting on sheetrocking it now. This next year I will move the compressor outside to keep it quiet. It already had plenty of 110 and a couple of 220 has phone and cable as well.

Chris
70 Chevelle. Roadster Shop Chassis, The shop llc/ Jon Lind interior LS3/6speed. Thanks to Precision Classics and Collision Eugene, Or. http://precision-classics.com/
Build thread:https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39517
Old 11-13-2013, 11:02 AM

My shop has been a 13 year long project, and is still evolving...I'm not sure it'll ever be done. I have in my mind what I want it to end up being, but life just keeps getting in the way so to speak.

It started off at a 36x50 full concrete foundation, stick framed outbuilding built back in 2001.

The first couple of years while I was absorbing the initial build costs, it was basically a boat and yard equipment storage facility.

I did use spray in foam insulation and hung a 4 ton heat pump from the trusses to heat and cool the space.

About 3 years ago now I guess I finally got to add a two post lift to the shop.

Then I had to change things up and built an apartment in the back of the shop for my Dad to live in.

I was able to put a loft up above the apartment to gain back some of the storage I lost by the addition. this picture was taken from up in the loft. What a mess...

I also had to move the lift back about 10 feet. did that project by myself without taking the lift apart. Yes, there were a couple of pucker moments...at one point my Dad went back into his apartment and said "I can't watch this".

I now have a lot of pictures of stuff I'm working on in the shop, but none show much of the actual shop itself. It's actually pretty clean right now and will take some updated pictures of it in it's current form soon.

What I'm struggling with now is finding and setting apart a "dirty work" space where I can put my welding, cutting and grinding tools and do my dirty work in to try to keep the rest of the shop halfway clean. The lift is a fantastic tool, I use it all the time. I don't think I'll ever be without one again. I need more cabinets to store away the parts and stuff I just can't part with and I need to pare down some of the yard equipment that I just don't use that much anymore to create more space. And lights...I need WAY more and better placed lights. Painting the walls white might help with light as well. Eventually I'll get it all set up like I want, but lately I've been doing more work in the shop...than on the shop...which is okay too.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:30 PM

Nice shop! Funny how the amount of stuff you have expands to the space in which you have to store it in.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:31 PM

It looks great Lance.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade6 View Post
Nice shop! Funny how the amount of stuff you have expands to the space in which you have to store it in.
Ain't that the freaking truth!! Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynieZ View Post
It looks great Lance.

Thanks...

It has seen many iterations over the years...but I'm finally getting it to where it'll store my crap as well as provide a nice shop to get some work done in (judging by the number of friend and family requests to work on their stuff in there anywhere).