Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 08-29-2012, 09:36 PM

Default Gulstrand mod. yes or no with my planned componets?

Ok, ive got my mind made up on certain upgrades to do to my 69 camaro. I am a little confused with my set of upgrades i want, if i need to do the gulstrand mod or not.
Upgrades
Chicane kit
SC&C Street-Comp AFX spindle and upper control arm kit.
and a set of ridetech lower control arms.
and of course all new steering and Hellwig Anti Swaybar

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 PM

call Marcus at SC&C he will have the answers

68 Camaro, LS1 T56, DSE Speed Kit 2, DSE Quadralink, DSE Mini Tub, Forgelines, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, GM Tilt Column, Corbeau Seats
2012 Dodge 3500 4x4 6.7L Diesel CCSB
Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevmech1969 View Post
Ok, ive got my mind made up on certain upgrades to do to my 69 camaro. I am a little confused with my set of upgrades i want, if i need to do the gulstrand mod or not.
Upgrades
Chicane kit
SC&C Street-Comp AFX spindle and upper control arm kit.
and a set of ridetech lower control arms.
and of course all new steering and Hellwig Anti Swaybar

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
With the tall AFX spindles, no G-Mod.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEIGuy38 View Post
call Marcus at SC&C he will have the answers
+1

Technically you can achieve respectable performance with Howe tall b-joints and tie rod ends with SPC uppers and stock lowers, with good shocks and proper spring rates. How much do you want to spend and what is important to YOU?

You can mod the stock subframe and lower control arms to reduce flex or buy SpeedTech or Detroit sub assemblies and roll with the players. Both will produce similar numbers on the clock the latter will give you much more to talk about when the key is in your pocket.

It somewhat depends on how much expendable income you have and how you want to use and enjoy Your car.

Driver, Show'r, or Tweener?

It's so easy to get wrapped up in the hype and lose perspective on your personal ideals...........

Thankfully up here in Oregon I don't have to keep up with the Jones' in California and I like driving it.

Figuring out the right combination for you and confirming it before your throw cash at it is a good portion of the entertainment value. Enjoy the ride.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
+1

Technically you can achieve respectable performance with Howe tall b-joints and tie rod ends with SPC uppers and stock lowers, with good shocks and proper spring rates. How much do you want to spend and what is important to YOU?

You can mod the stock subframe and lower control arms to reduce flex or buy SpeedTech or Detroit sub assemblies and roll with the players. Both will produce similar numbers on the clock the latter will give you much more to talk about when the key is in your pocket.

It somewhat depends on how much expendable income you have and how you want to use and enjoy Your car.

Driver, Show'r, or Tweener?

It's so easy to get wrapped up in the hype and lose perspective on your personal ideals...........

Thankfully up here in Oregon I don't have to keep up with the Jones' in California and I like driving it.

Figuring out the right combination for you and confirming it before your throw cash at it is a good portion of the entertainment value. Enjoy the ride.

I'm not interested in a new sub. i spent quite a lot of time grinding the factory welds and rewelding the sub completely. filled all the holes i dont need, and found out i filled a few i did. woopsy.. i plan on driving my car. i do not have expendable income, im married with two kids. lol... i buy what i can when i can. the main reason for the afx spindle is the vette bearing packs and improved geometry the reason for the chicane kit is for the longer stroke shocks. im not just throwing good parts at it to say ive got them and not use them. i plan on driving the crap out of my car when its done. its been sitting for far too long. its my big push to get it penciled out and stick to my personal plan.

Youve made me rethink a few things. as i can get decent performance with saving some $ and later when i have more $ spend it on the afx spindles and lowers. gives me more $ for the rear which is a whole different animal.

Pondering.........

Thanks johnny
Old 09-02-2012, 05:19 AM

Another option is Ridetech's new TruTurn system. I installed the ATS/Chicane upper brackets, upper and lower tubular arms with double shear lower brackets, 5" stroke Ridetech single adustable coilovers and the TruTurn system. This setup rivals any aftermarket subframe and requires a moderate amount of fabrication.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Supporting Vendor

Before I get flamed and upset guys I provide parts to (sorry Blake), I have to say I'm writing this from 80% personal, 20% professional.

Chevmech, you stated you had 3 main criteria for choosing these parts, but that you were also on a budget (I'm in the same boat. . .though I build these parts for a living I do have a wife, a kid, and a bad car habit, so "bang for the buck" is always on the top of my list.)

1-vette bearing packs
-$175-350 for Corvette bearing packs (EACH)
-$60 for stock Camaro bearing kit

2-improved geometry
-$1200 for AFX spindles
-$350 for Ridetech spindles (or $1000 for TruTurn with spindles, you can see a direct comparison here: http://www.ridetech.com/store/tru-turn/)

3-longer shocks
-Chicane kit with Ridetech single adjustables is $945
-Ridetech single adjustables to fit a stock subrfame are $700
(since you would be using the same lower control arms the only thing the Chicane kit gets you is a double sheer upper mount. the suspension can only move between the bumpstops, so it doesn't care if you have long stroke shocks. If you were using a different lower control arm the Chicane kit would then provide the correct stroke.)

So lets say you buy these parts, and in a couple of years have to replace the hub bearings (so we can factor that into the price just for S&G's).
You'd spend $2495 on the parts you want now.
You'd spend $1760 on an equal performance option (this includes the TruTurn, so I'd say it's even better performance wise).

If price and performance are equal factors you could easily have an extra $735 to throw at the rear.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marolf101x View Post
Before I get flamed and upset guys I provide parts to (sorry Blake), I have to say I'm writing this from 80% personal, 20% professional.

Chevmech, you stated you had 3 main criteria for choosing these parts, but that you were also on a budget (I'm in the same boat. . .though I build these parts for a living I do have a wife, a kid, and a bad car habit, so "bang for the buck" is always on the top of my list.)

1-vette bearing packs

2-improved geometry
-$1200 for AFX spindles
-$350 for Ridetech spindles (or $1000 for TruTurn with spindles, you can see a direct comparison here: http://www.ridetech.com/store/tru-turn/)

3-longer shocks
(since you would be using the same lower control arms the only thing the Chicane kit gets you is a double sheer upper mount. the suspension can only move between the bumpstops, so it doesn't care if you have long stroke shocks. If you were using a different lower control arm the Chicane kit would then provide the correct stroke.)

So lets say you buy these parts, and in a couple of years have to replace the hub bearings (so we can factor that into the price just for S&G's).
You'd spend $1760 on an equal performance option (this includes the TruTurn, so I'd say it's even better performance wise).

If price and performance are equal factors you could easily have an extra $735 to throw at the rear.
What is the Corvette bearing pack, and do you sell them?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Supporting Vendor

we do not sell them as we do not use Corvette hub bearings.

here's what it is:
Old 09-02-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marolf101x View Post

1-vette bearing packs

2-improved geometry
-$1200 for AFX spindles

3-longer shocks

FLAME!!!!!
lol
Now to be fair the comparison you show in the chart is with the AFX spindle and the Truturn steering arm which we know does not work! so why show the comparison.
The AFX spindle was designed to use the factory steering arm. The steering arm mounting location was optimizied for that arm. Not the truturn arm.
The truturn center link has been optimized to use the A body steering arm mounted backwards and on the opposite side, so that is why it has good numbers as a "SYSTEM" this is the part people neglect the "SYSTEM" has been designed to work with all the parts in the system,

I find it interesting how average joe can come up with a "SYSTEM" of parts from 5 different manufacturers and thinks that is the killer package.
why would the OP run 3 different brands of components instead of 1?
who does he blame when it doesn't meet his expectations?

The Chicane upper eliminates the single pin swivel top mount which shortens the efective shock length by 2" I know I have a set in my GN (thanks Brett the testing is going well) you would have a 5" stroke shock and a 10" spring with the chicane kit and a 3" stroke the other way.

there is a little more info to complicate you buying descision.