Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default 1989 Camaro RS "Flashback"

I was finally able to get some stuff done to my Camaro this week. I had been wanting to get a lower stance while maintaining good ride quality and great handling. After taking the Camaro out tonight, I am extremely pleased with my end results after switching to Eibach coilsprings and getting rid of the factory stamped control arms in exchange for Spohn tubular control arms. I went out for a drive for about 60 miles tonight, and it was the best drive yet since I started on my Camaro about 5 yrs ago! I felt like I was driving a practically new car, handled great and the steering was tight, especially in the curves.

(I really need to do some detailing underneath from the firewall forward, most of the underneath from the firewall back, I have redone and cleaned up.)
Attached Images

1989 Camaro RS

Last edited by 89 RS; 07-24-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:21 AM

Default Before

Before pic in garage.
Attached Images

1989 Camaro RS
Old 07-24-2011, 12:24 AM

Default After new Eibachs and Spohn control arms

I wasn't able to get some pictures done with the new stance other than in the garage. Hopefully, I can get some tomorrow or this week sometime.
Attached Images

1989 Camaro RS
Old 07-24-2011, 12:32 AM

Great looking car. I hope to build one a dem bad boys some day.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:03 AM

X2....nice car. And nice improvements too. Good suspension makes a huge difference.

1970 Camaro.....on the road someday!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:54 AM

Cool

3rd gen's can look so mean if done right. Looks cool sitting lower now. What wheels are you running they look really sweet filling up the wheel well.
I had one a few years back, was going to build it but had to much rust so had to part it out.
What are your plans for the rest of the build?

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 07-24-2011, 05:09 PM

Default New pics today

I was able to get some pics today with the new coilsprings and lower control arms.
Attached Images

1989 Camaro RS
Old 07-24-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Junky View Post
Great looking car. I hope to build one a dem bad boys some day.
Thanks Gaetano, really appreciate it. I've wanted a third-gen ever since I was a kid, a buddy of mine had two different IROCs when we were in high school. I could never afford the insurance in high school like my buddy whose parents paid his...lol. I'm slowly getting more and more done, but have a ways to go. I'm extremely happy with the progress so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs View Post
X2....nice car. And nice improvements too. Good suspension makes a huge difference.
Thanks Eric, you are definitely right about suspension. I had Hotchkis coilsprings on it before the current Eibachs, nothing wrong with the Hotchkis springs, just wanted a lower stance and see if I could get better handling as well. The Eibachs actually ride just as good, if not better than the Hotchkis springs. The new tubular control arms probably have something to do with that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrs69 View Post
3rd gen's can look so mean if done right. Looks cool sitting lower now. What wheels are you running they look really sweet filling up the wheel well.
I had one a few years back, was going to build it but had to much rust so had to part it out.
What are your plans for the rest of the build?
Thanks Rick, appreciate the kind words. My wheels are 17in SLP ZR1s made for 3rd gen F-Bodies. I'm really happy with the wheels, but eventually would like to switch to some Forgelines or Rushforths.

My plans are to start working toward a different engine, the anemic 305 does good-- fair amount of torque with the bolt-ons I've done to engine, but definitely need more power. I've toyed with going the LS route or just putting something like a crate RamJet 350 in it. It has to pass yearly emissions testing, so I have to keep that in mind...not to mention keeping it budget friendly.

Only things suspension wise that has not been replaced is the torque-arm and possibly replace the steering box down the road. I still want to replace the interior carpet and couple other interior pieces. The dashpad was replaced right before I found the car and then I've installed a Grant steering wheel, new seats, and leather gear shifter. I also put in a Pioneer head unit, Infinity front speakers, and Pyle rear speakers- no big subs or anything to add weight. Also need to convert the rear drums to disc brakes as well, possibly a gear change as well. I had the tranny rebuilt about 4 yrs ago with upgraded internals, shift kit and torque converter to withstand up to 500hp. I thing rather than trying to spend more money on the current engine, I'd be better to save that money for a new motor. Current engine has an Ed Wright Automotive chip, MSD Ignition, K&N open element filter, Hypertech fan switch/thermostat, March Underdrive pullies and Flowmaster 3-inch exhaust. I also put SSBC aluminum calipers on last year for the front brakes.

I still have plenty to do, as I am nowhere near where the majority of the cars on here are. The cars I see on here are what motivates me and gives me new ideas. Ultimately, I would like people to see my Camaro and say that's what a 3rd gen has the potential to be, but I'm proud of it as it is. My other goal is to get out there and be able to participate in the Run to Music City or Run Thru the Hills events, beings I live in Nashville.

1989 Camaro RS
Old 07-25-2011, 01:18 AM

Good looking car! I always liked this body style.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:43 AM

Corey, that is a wicked clean car. It looks just like my buddy's 91 RS he had while we were in college. 305, white paint and red interior. I really like the platform and shape. Nice to see a non-1st-gen Camaro around here.

Keep pluggin away.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer