Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-22-2015, 05:18 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Smile

The car is looking great, I have been following along on the progress.
So what are you initial thoughts on the Pumpkin head unit?

Old 06-22-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi View Post
Here are some pictures of my Tiburon seats that people (mainly ClassicCamaro above, haha) were asking for.

Attachment 54708
Attachment 54707
Attachment 54706
Attachment 54709

Pardon my dust in the last picture, I was working on my "micro tub" at the time and there was grinding dust everywhere.
Awesome! The brackets you made looked like they worked out great.....these are wide seats at the bottom, they are "offset" which makes mounting them a bit more work. Car is coming together nicely.....hope you can make it to Car Craft Nationals next month!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
finaly some pictures of the seats. those look nice in there.

good job on the console too.
Thanks Vince!

I'm slowly but surely making upgrades to my (sometimes) running and driving project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepertime View Post

The car is looking great, I have been following along on the progress.
So what are you initial thoughts on the Pumpkin head unit?

So far so good on the Pumpkin unit. The peripherals have given me a little trouble though, mainly the backup camera that came with it. It works, but it loses the signal sometimes. I think it's because of the wireless design. I' still have a little tweaking to do with that. On the other hand, it's easy to replace it with any decent backup camera anyway so not a big deal.

I was also having some trouble getting the front facing camera to record but that was just some settings that had to be just right. Now I've got that working as well

The video isn't the greatest but this isn't a gopro or anything, it's more of a CYA camera in case you need some evidence. That being said, it's still fun to watch the videos and anytime something interesting happens you can just tap the screen and it will save the last so many seconds of video (you can designate how much) in your permanent memory so that it doesn't get deleted.

The sound from the external mic could probaby use a little work also. I'm not sure if it's the position on the dash that's the problem or just the mic itself. HOWEVER; even with the mic problems you can get an only slightly distorted idea of how the exhaust sounds. (skip to 1:25) I continue to be impressed with the Magnaflow exhaust, particularly with how it is quiet at cruising speed but beastly sounding when you get on it.

I bench tested the head unit before I ever installed it but haven't yet installed speakers in the car to comment about sound quality. Maybe I'll have time this weekend to finish up my speaker pods and at lest get the front stage installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccamaro View Post
Awesome! The brackets you made looked like they worked out great.....these are wide seats at the bottom, they are "offset" which makes mounting them a bit more work. Car is coming together nicely.....hope you can make it to Car Craft Nationals next month!
I'm not sure if I'll make it over there or not. I've actually never went. I do like to go around to the local car shows, especially the smaller ones, and I usually make it to automotion in the Dells. I'll have to check and see if my uncle or one of my friends wants to go with me. I'm not yet sure when I'll be in Taiwan either but it'll be somewhere near that time frame.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread

Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 06-25-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

When you first posted about that head unit I looked them up and was impressed with price to option ratio, realizing that it was not a typical name brand. After reading your report on it I am willing to give it a try. I have been one to try and do things a little different than the norm. Did you buy the extra cameras or was that part of the deal?
I am planning on mounting mine down low in front of a 2002 Camaro console similar to your setup.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepertime View Post

When you first posted about that head unit I looked them up and was impressed with price to option ratio, realizing that it was not a typical name brand. After reading your report on it I am willing to give it a try. I have been one to try and do things a little different than the norm. Did you buy the extra cameras or was that part of the deal?
I am planning on mounting mine down low in front of a 2002 Camaro console similar to your setup.

When I purchased it, the backup camera was part of the deal, as well as the external mic. I paid extra (but it was pretty cheap) for the front DVR camera which plugs into one of the USB ports on the head unit. I just thought that if I bought it from the same seller, hopefully it would work without much difficulty. Otherwise, there's no reason you couldn't try another USB camera.

This guy does a good video review of the same unit I have, and below his youtube video is a link to the XDA dev forum thread on this type of unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIeQHTiuHSM

It's a few months since I've purchased this thing and there may be a better/faster/sexier one out there now so you might want to check into that as well.

Also, I did install the rooted firmware on my unit so I'm not running the stock ROM at the moment.

I guess the biggest thing to remember with these type of head units and Chinese electronics like this in general is that there will be glitches and it won't be as refined as other options out there; however, knowing that going in, it's still well worth the trials and tribulations for the number of cool features you get.

ETA: Oh! If you do buy it, make sure to get the mounting "cage" from them too. I hear that it's just a little bit different in size from a standard double din and that getting the mounting kit from them will save you some headaches. I bought their mouting kits and I still had to sand a little on the cage to get my head unit to slide nicely in and out.

Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 06-25-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:06 PM

What rims do you have on your car? Hard to tell from the pics?
Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbrock25 View Post
What rims do you have on your car? Hard to tell from the pics?
They are 19" Forgestar CF5V wheels.

You can see a few more pictures in this thread as well as some good discussion on more budget orientated wheel options:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46383

Old 06-16-2017, 11:08 AM

I was perusing my old thread as I'm onto another build and looking for part numbers I may have posted. Anyone remember the GM part number for the doohickey that bolts in just above your oil filter that you can tap off of for a pressure gauge. I used one from a corvette that already comes from GM with the drilled and tapped hole in it.

This thingy!

I suppose this wouldn't be complete without a Camaro update!
I switched to an Entropy radiator and that took care of my cooling problems. The other one I had, had holes in it. Probably from the factory. Also, because the fill was on the same side as the inlet from the engine and the flow too slow through the radiator (so it seems to me), everything would go out my overflow at WOT.

Other than that, I've been driving the heck out of it. I haven't decided if or when I'll do suspension upgrades yet. I'm not in a hurry, I'm just enjoying it. BTW, 22MPG highway!

Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 06-16-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:25 AM

Yay! Found it.

GM 12551587

Oil Filter Adapter Cover