Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 07-29-2020, 08:53 PM

Default 64 C10 Front steering system question

Hi All, long time lurker here. I need some help deciding on which way to go to get the best bang for the buck out of this street driven truck that I intend to daily drive soon. It may autoX once or twice a year, but really I just like taking the road with turns to work and it'd be cool if the truck handled better.

I'm looking at upgrading from manual steering in the truck. I'm wondering how far do I need to go to have a more modern feel. The truck has fully rebuilt classic front suspension and has porter built control arms on a stock cross member. It also has an older version of Porterbuilt trailing arm upgrade with ride tech coil-overs. I'm thinking there may be a few different ways to get a very nice handling truck with modern feel that doesn't require a new cross-member and maybe doesn't require coil overs? If it needs coil covers I'll do that, but my g-body handles pretty well for just having a rebuilt front end, better shocks and springs on it. (maybe that's comparing apples to oranges?)

A few different directions I've thought of, what are your thoughts or changes for these?

A. Porter built front cross-member, coil overs, rack and pinion?
see link - https://pbfab.com/1963-72-chevy-pick...lovers-level-1

B. Stock crossmember, Rack and pinion swap with a coil spring change (900 lb springs that have been cut already for the big block soon to be an LSX swap) No limit seems to make a bolt / weld in kit
see link - http://nolimit.net/products#!/C-10-P...tegory=6157547

C. Traditional power steering and a coil spring change.

A splined sway bar is likely on the list for B&C above.

The truck already has the front suspension completely rebuilt 7 years ago, porter built control arms, and an upgraded sway bar. I want the steering accurate and not old school 1 finger steering and slow ratio. Currently with the manual steering, when the tail swings out the correction is soooo slow it's dangerous. Same if it's wet out. Considering a wilwood spindle upgrade and bigger front brakes as well.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2020, 07:55 PM

Bump ?

Open to other options too. Just looking for some guidance with this one. I'm sure someone has done this better than me before.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:36 AM

These trucks actually respond very well to mild/bolt-on suspension upgrades. A few years back I did a 71 and it handled like a modern car, better than my 2003 Silverado for sure. I used several items from Early Classic Enterprises, unfortunately they are no longer open, they had some really nice components. The coilovers aren't a necessary thing, the shock doesn't know the difference, but they are nice for fine tuning ride height. The biggest improvement comes from getting away from the factory alignment specs. Shoot for a minimum of +4º Caster and about -.5º to -1º Camber and very minimal toe in, about 1/8" total, to start. If you already have aftermarket control arms, those should have some added Caster built in so it should be easy to get modern alignment specs with minimal shims. Any of the No-Limit stuff is good, Rob McGregor knows his stuff. Borgeson makes a quick ratio bolt-in power steering box for C10's, 12.7:1 I think. I had one from Early Classic and it really improved the steering, but... closed. In addition to getting a solid steering feel, you can upgrade to the Borgeson steering U-joints. You'll definately want a quality sway bar and spring "package". I say package because the rates between the bar and springs need to work together. I did the Hotchkis front and rear bars, front 2" drop springs and 2.5" drop spindle. Classic Performance Parts has a nice Modular spindle that can utilize factory style D52 calipers or also works with Wilwood Big Brake Kits. Best bang for the buck is the Wilwood D52 big bore replacement calipers. I did my own coilover conversion on the back so I could fine tune the rear ride height. Also invest in a good quality adjustable shock. Viking and RideTech have some great options. I did the RideTech single adjustable, but had Chris Smith from Smitty's Customs set me up with a custom set. It's been a while, but I think they had higher gas pressure for the front to help with compression because these trucks are so nose heavy. It was a night and day difference from the single adjustable QA1's I had on there. I actually re-used the factory lower control arms in the front and swapped out the uppers for the Hotchkis with the offset cross shaft. These aided in Camber gain as the suspension compressed and helped with turn in stability. I know it sounds like I had a Frankenstein but it worked very well for spirited road use and occasional autocross days. Here's a few pics of my setup as I was building it and as it sat when completed. Also check out 67-72chevytrucks.com, there's a ton of C10 specific threads over there with one called Make it Handle. Rob McGregor started that thread and it has a ton of useful info. Here's the link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419251

Any questions I'd be happy to help!
Attached Images

Last edited by GEARBOXGARAGE; 08-22-2020 at 11:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GEARBOXGARAGE For This Useful Post:
QUA-HOON! (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the Reply Mike!

I decided to go with the NoLimit rack and pinion set up for the front and utilize the stock cross member. Maybe later I'll buy a fancy aftermarket one, but for now, this should help. I do need to get springs, and have looked at hotchkis stuff. I'm also looking at the aftermarket wilwood spindle for the C10 but I've read that it's based on Mustang II stuff (true?). So for now, springs, rack and pinon, and likely a bar in the back.

I have a thread on 67-72 Chevy trucks as well in the 60-66 section http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348850 I'll check out that thread. Thanks again!
Old 09-21-2020, 02:08 PM

The Wilwood C10 spindle is not a Mustang II design. It does use a bolt on steering arm but the whole setup is truck specific. Keep in mind it is laid out to use a specific brake package, so you cannot reuse any of your existing components.

The No Limit stuff is really good, you'll like it. Rob does his homework in R&D and sells some good products.
Attached Images