Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 04-15-2006, 02:51 AM

Default Wheels & Tires, what should I do next?

Fellow Lateral-g-men, I'm new to this site and to the pro-touring world but I'm giving it a try. I have a 69 Camaro, which I've been working on for 9 yrs. and I'm finally reaching the finish line. Right now, it's being wired up from bumper to bumper and should be home soon. So far, it has been painted and the following items have been installed: 383 stroker, 700R4 tranny with drive line, Moser 12 bolt rearend with 3:73 gears and posi, electric fuel pump, alum. radiator with dual fans, March pulley system, Holley 750 Double Pumper Carb, mild cam, MSD 6AL ignition box and distributor, Hooker Super Comp headers, and more. The list goes on and on; you get the picture. All I have left to do is install the master cylinder, front grill, and interior (seats are done, but I need to lay the Dynomat and carpet), install B & M Pro Stick on the floor, wheels/tires, and add fluids all the way around.

My question is, what should I do next? When the car comes home next week. I'd like to get the car running, especially since the engine has been sitting basically for approximately 5 years. The good thing is it was broken in before it sat and I turned it by hand occasionally to keep things somewhat wet. Right now, I have some old beat up rally roller wheels on it, but I want to get some 16" rallys to just roll around in to get the car moving. These rallys would be a temporary thing until I get my Bonspeed 5 spoke Malibu wheels in 17s or 18s. In regards to the rallys, do I have to worry about backspacing (bs) right now to order these? If so, how do you measure backspacing? Any good ideas or sites that explain how to measure bs? Another member mentioned to me that Eastwood had a fender roller for $249 that I can use to roll the inner wheel well lips on my rear quaters to maximize my wheel width size. Any ideas or feedback on this item? See attached link for item description: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...t=504&pid=6159. Ross Dorn's 69 looks great and I'm looking for some rallys like his for now. Does anyone know his username and/or e-mail?

I welcome all comments and as soon as I figure out how to attach some pics, I will.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69onmymind
Fellow Lateral-g-men, I'm new to this site and to the pro-touring world but I'm giving it a try. I have a 69 Camaro, which I've been working on for 9 yrs. and I'm finally reaching the finish line. Right now, it's being wired up from bumper to bumper and should be home soon. So far, it has been painted and the following items have been installed: 383 stroker, 700R4 tranny with drive line, Moser 12 bolt rearend with 3:73 gears and posi, electric fuel pump, alum. radiator with dual fans, March pulley system, Holley 750 Double Pumper Carb, mild cam, MSD 6AL ignition box and distributor, Hooker Super Comp headers, and more. The list goes on and on; you get the picture. All I have left to do is install the master cylinder, front grill, and interior (seats are done, but I need to lay the Dynomat and carpet), install B & M Pro Stick on the floor, wheels/tires, and add fluids all the way around.

My question is, what should I do next? When the car comes home next week. I'd like to get the car running, especially since the engine has been sitting basically for approximately 5 years. The good thing is it was broken in before it sat and I turned it by hand occasionally to keep things somewhat wet. Right now, I have some old beat up rally roller wheels on it, but I want to get some 16" rallys to just roll around in to get the car moving. These rallys would be a temporary thing until I get my Bonspeed 5 spoke Malibu wheels in 17s or 18s. In regards to the rallys, do I have to worry about backspacing (bs) right now to order these? If so, how do you measure backspacing? Any good ideas or sites that explain how to measure bs? Another member mentioned to me that Eastwood had a fender roller for $249 that I can use to roll the inner wheel well lips on my rear quaters to maximize my wheel width size. Any ideas or feedback on this item? See attached link for item description: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...t=504&pid=6159. Ross Dorn's 69 looks great and I'm looking for some rallys like his for now. Does anyone know his username and/or e-mail?

I welcome all comments and as soon as I figure out how to attach some pics, I will.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe -
With regards to fender rolling, DON'T BUY ONE ! I just rented one from rollyourfender.com. David rents them for $50 with a $300 refundable deposit. The unit he sent me was in great condition. He gives you 5 days and supplies a FedEx return label (I think round trip shipping is about $24) He was very nice to work with and I recommend him highly. He also put the deposit money back immediately. A true car enthusiast. Tell him Bruce sent ya.
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/...lownbbchigh.wmv
Project Rides:
1968 Firebird - Blown 540
1987 Blazer 4x4 - Blown 355
2007 Magnum
2010 Camaro SS - LSX Twin Turbo
Old 04-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

I sent Ross an e-mail of this thread. I own one of those fender rollers, works good. It is something that if you can rent is not a bad way to go. It's not something that gets used a lot.

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 04-15-2006, 11:43 AM

Hey Joe,

My email is [email protected].

Thanks,

Ross
Old 04-15-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Fender Roller

Thanks, Bruce. You saved me some moola! I most certainly will let David know you recommended me. Was your car painted when you attempted this job? How did it turn out? Did the paint crack on you?

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster
Joe -
With regards to fender rolling, DON'T BUY ONE ! I just rented one from rollyourfender.com. David rents them for $50 with a $300 refundable deposit. The unit he sent me was in great condition. He gives you 5 days and supplies a FedEx return label (I think round trip shipping is about $24) He was very nice to work with and I recommend him highly. He also put the deposit money back immediately. A true car enthusiast. Tell him Bruce sent ya.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Fender Roller

Thanks, Jody. I'll get with Ross soon as I see he received the e-mail and has already sent me his address.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb
I sent Ross an e-mail of this thread. I own one of those fender rollers, works good. It is something that if you can rent is not a bad way to go. It's not something that gets used a lot.

Jody