Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 06-27-2010, 01:08 PM

Default wilwood/tci question

so i order a tci pro touring front end and request the biggest brakes possible, that is 14" with the smaller 9.44" sl6r radial mount caliper, then i ordered brakes for the back to match the front, my options are 13 or 14", since the price difference is minimal i went for 14's, these come with a completely different 4 piston caliper that has the three round impressions on each side so youd think it is a 6 piston and its huge compared to the front one , like 1.5" longer and wider and bigger the other way to. so i cant exactly put completely looking bigger calipers on the back than the front, so what got messed up here? initially i told tci i wanted bigger front calipers as the sl6r looks very small against the 14" rotor, but they said thats the only one they can do, so must i downgrade rear brakes now or???
Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 PM

I do not know why TCI and other subframe and suspension companies use anything but the biggest calipers. i can think of another couple compaines that do (4) piston 13 and 14 inch kits?

To keep you brake kit schmetric (bigger front / smaller rear, you can go down to a 12.2 and we can add a Dynapro (6) caliper, this is not a Wilwood numbered kit, but something we can build for you.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:32 PM

well the whole object here is to keep things matching, i figured out its a w4a rear and a sl6r front.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 PM

So you can get a Superlite 4 for the rear to match. but it is a complete different kit.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
I do not know why TCI and other subframe and suspension companies use anything but the biggest calipers.

The Camaro stops just as good as many of the big dollar set-ups. That car finished in the 6th position at the RTTC speed/stop event with a 13" SL6 front and 13" SL4 rear set-up on it. Had that test not involved acceleration I'm sure we would have finished in the VERY top since our car is certainly slower 0-60 than the cars that finished ahead of us.

Now, some may want "the look" and I can understand that. Which is why I am having Wilwood send us these parts to test and design new brackets for. Unfortunately, for this customer that will not help in a timely manner since we are in the middle of other projects right now.

In case people are thinking we sell mismatched parts, the rear brake kit wasn't supplied by TCI.

-J
63 Nova 'Low Budget G-Machine' *SOLD*

Last edited by slow4dr; 06-30-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM

Based on his description it was not sounding like a Superlite. Superlite are more then enough in most cases. No idea where he got the monster w4a which is HUGE!