Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 08-16-2019, 01:38 PM

Default Difference between c5 and c6 corvette suspension

Hi Guys, Was hoping for some insight. I was designing a suspension for my c2 vette to use c5 corvette a arms and spindles (front and rear suspension). I got all the pickup points for a c5 already. Well recently I got an opportunity to get my hands on some very clean C6 corvette a arms and spindles for a good price. Just looking at them compared to c5 they look very close to the same. The steering arm on spindle looks a little shorter but that is about it. Does anyone know if they are the same design? Will the c5 pickup points work with C6 parts? I read somewhere or someone told me that the c6 had a better ackerman angle than c5. Not sure if i am making that up in my head or was it real info. Any insight on this as well? Thanks ahead of time.

Josh
Old 08-16-2019, 04:38 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

All of the parts will swap. The frame its self was the same from 1997-2013 except the C6 Z06 which was aluminum and had a different mount design for the rear upper control arms. The pick up points are the same they just redesigned the control arms for strength.

The front cradle is will swap between the two and only had minor changes. The rear has a different cradle to accept the auto 6 speed and how they mount with two pads vs. one on the C6. If you swap C6 rear lower control arms onto the C5 it will move the wheels back about 3/4" and center the wheel better in the opening. This was in part to offset the longer 6 speed auto vs. the 4 speed.

The C6 spindles are the same mounting point wise, but are a different aluminum and have thicker brake mounting bosses and overall they were stiffer than the C5. Direct swap between the two models.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:25 PM

Thank you for the help!!! Just curious do you if the geometry of a c6 z06 is different than the base model? I have heard the c6 z06 was a fantastic handling car. Thanks again!!

Josh
Old 08-18-2019, 08:00 AM

Same geometry, but wider front and rear tires with a different offset push the wheels out some and make for a wider footprint.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:11 AM

Default WOW this is interesting

So the cradle is interchangeable... that interesting.. is that the preferred way to go with an LS swap I wonder ?

The C5's are pretty darn in expensive..
Old 08-18-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
So the cradle is interchangeable... that interesting.. is that the preferred way to go with an LS swap I wonder ?

I’m not sure what you mean as the C5 and C6 already have an LS?
Old 08-18-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
I’m not sure what you mean as the C5 and C6 already have an LS?
Ok guess c4 is what I was thinking then
Old 08-19-2019, 09:47 AM

There is some misinformation above... some parts will bolt in place of others, but they do not swap directly.

The upper rear control arms are DIFFERENT GEOMETRICALLY between a c5 and c6... the ball joint hole is further back on one of them. (The C6 I believe.)

The rear cradles are DIFFERENT due to the transmission mount and springs.

Z06 Upper rear control arms are a special breed as well.

The C6/C5 rear LCAs as the same geometrically, however NOT interchangeable due to spring mount differences. (unless you use coilovers... then they are a direct swap.)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...wer-rears.html

On the fronts, I believe the steering rack mounts a bit differently relative to the lower control arms resulting in different bump steer characteristics... but I cannot personally confirm that.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post

Oh trust me, parting out a wrecked C5/6 would be a great way to swap everything into an older car. The problem presents itself with mounting the subframes (if you want a true "bold on" affair). You'll need a LOT of fab in order for everything to bolt up. But its a tried and true way to go fast!

My initial measurements from come corvette racers are saying that non-aggressive c5/6 wheel fitments should fit under an F-body but I've yet to actually check/confirm.

I spent a LOT of time working with C5's and I'd honestly love to take my 2nd gen and use c6 suspension on it. With all of that, and if you look at nickcornilsen's posts, you'll need to lengthen the torque tubes for most classics. But the ability to buy cheap/strong parts that are based off a pretty damn good geometry is intriguing.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcornilsen View Post
The upper rear control arms are DIFFERENT GEOMETRICALLY between a c5 and c6... the ball joint hole is further back on one of them. (The C6 I believe.)

The C6/C5 rear LCAs as the same geometrically, however NOT interchangeable due to spring mount differences. (unless you use coilovers... then they are a direct swap.)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...wer-rears.html
The lower have to be different geometry or the wheel wouldn't move depending on running a C5 or a C6 control arm.

post 19
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...into-a-c5.html