Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 01-02-2019, 10:21 PM

Default What to do in Atlanta?

Hey Y'All,

So I'm going to spend some time in Atlanta and surrounding areas soon. What better place than here to get some good ideas for doing things that Googling might not bring to my attention? I know that several of the regulars here are in the greater Atlanta area, or even a bit further out in Georgia/the Carolinas, so chime in. What is fun? Where is the good beer? Where's a good hike? How about good Southern food? Where is something other than Road Atlanta for cool car-related stuff?

My only plan so far (short of a lot of long-range driving, like maybe D.C. and the Keys--yes, done it before), if I'm there at the right time, is an Interpol concert (hopeful) in Athens in mid-February. Yeah, I'm kind of stuck in 2005 . . .

I'll have lots of time (driving out), so feel free to go for complexity.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:45 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

go to the Varsity!

Old 01-03-2019, 02:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I think Brian Fuller still has a shop there, you might check and see if he's building anything right now.... also there is the Cars and Coffee event that is supposed to be the largest in the country...

Jeff-
Old 01-03-2019, 03:36 PM

When are you coming? We have 4 seasons out here, so time of year will matter a lot.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 01-03-2019, 05:55 PM

www.caffeineandoctane.com happens every first Sunday of the month up in Dunwoody just outside of Atlanta.

Where exactly will you be since Atlanta is spread out?

https://www.bscracklinbbq.com/ Best place in Atlanta for BBQ that I've found so far. We have others that are great too. Grand Champion, Dixie-Q, and Community-Q. We also have other food that's worth checking out. Buford Highway in general has a lot of ethnic food places.

Plenty of places to hike like Blood Mountain, Amicalola Falls, Pine Mountain, Burnt Mountain, Lookout Mountain, Panther Creek, Tallulah Gorge, Cloudland Canyon, closer in to the city are East and West Palisades, etc etc etc. Seriously, we've got a lot of fantastic outdoor spots to visit.

Driving trips are Suches Loop, Blood Mountain Loop, Richard B Russell Parkway. Take a trip up to Highlands, NC by cutting east in Clayton, GA takes you through some great roads. Go to Tail of the Dragon if you want. I prefer Cherohala Skyway personally.

There's plenty more to do. Don't skip the aquarium if you like that sort of thing. It's very nice.

Skip the Varsity, lol.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 01-03-2019, 07:31 PM

Good stuff so far, guys! I should be in the area some time this month--the plan is to hang around for several weeks, so I will have plenty of time to hit lots of spots. The cars & coffee thing sounds good, as I generally go to one near me here (Folsom) once a month or so. I miss a decent barbecue joint dearly after spending three years in Arkansas a while back . . .

Thanks for the great suggestions, Trey--I knew you would come through! I researched mountain biking possibilities around the area a while back and was pretty surprised at how much there seemed to be near the city. It looks like there will be some good hikes on the menu.

How about beer? I know some people make beer out there!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:00 PM

beer I can't make recommendations for as I don't drink. I do know there's Sweet Water Brewing, Monday Night Brewing, and Scofflaw all in Atlanta. I'm sure there's more. Terrapin is in Athens, GA.

Mountain biking there's Blankets Creek and Rope Mill up in Woodstock. Blankets is a mountain biking place first so you have the right of way. Rope Mill is a mix use between biking and hiking. Both are hands down the best places to go in my opinion. I love them both. I wish I could ride more often.

Let us know when you're here. I'm sure we can get together at some point if you'd like. I'm always down for eating bbq.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:13 PM

Go to the waffle house .... drunk ..at 3 am and start a brawl ??? ....have someone film it with constant yelling of "WORLD STAR , WORLD STAR , WORLD STAR " . Those videos are always quite funny
The Following User Says Thank You to raustinss For This Useful Post:
BMR Sales (01-07-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
Go to the waffle house .... drunk ..at 3 am and start a brawl ??? ....have someone film it with constant yelling of "WORLD STAR , WORLD STAR , WORLD STAR " . Those videos are always quite funny
Do not recommend this!!
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 01-05-2019, 07:48 PM

He's not wrong though, lol.

Speaking of chains, since you're in California now, if you haven't eaten at Chic fil a, Zaxby's, or Willy's you should. They're fast food chains that all started here in GA and haven't moved too far west in big numbers yet. They're higher end fast food. Willy's is better than Chipotle any day.