Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 05-29-2005, 04:45 AM
Supporting Member

Default Blew my 9"....

It was kind of noisy at first (had a hum/whine) when you would apply throttle or when the lock up converter engaged one-to-one. It progressed from a little whine to all out rock grinding!

Dang....I really don't need this right now THIS close to our deadline, but at the same time I am happy it broke now instead of on the trip to Ohio in July. The guy that built the diff and customized it to fit the 69 camaro is going to make it right but I have to ground the car to get the old one out and over to him. With Monday as a holiday it might push beyond next week to get the new gear set in.

Isn't hot rodding fun?

Old 05-29-2005, 05:07 AM

Default ford

figures the only ford part on tha car!!lol that sucks 9 inches are usually trouble free, maybe he just missed something setting up the ring and pinion, have you torn 3rd member ou to have a look??
jake
Old 05-29-2005, 06:08 AM
Supporting Member

Haven't yanked it yet. I am 100% positive this is the problem.

Called the builder. He actually confessed that he had put USED gears in this diff with a new posi unit, bearings, etc. He wasn't a bit surprised of the failure and told me the new gears will be on order this week.

I am a bit surprised. This guy is a good friend of mine and we swap work out for each other all the time. It really gets under my skin a bit, but that is just the way it is. I noticed some unusual free play in it once I got the axle in the car and tires mouted, etc. I called and asked him to come check it while it was up on jacks months and months ago. He told me that was normal and never stopped over to look. I thought I was just being paranoid.

Oh well, Radrambler knows this guy too because that is where he got his 9" from.

You know what is funny? He did the set up on my 69 Vette in 2001. I did not realize he didn't replace the posi unit as part of our agreement. It didn't take long that car was jumping and clicking and grabbing when going around sharp corners. Yanked it out, took it to him and got it replaced the way it should have been in the beginning with a heavy duty unit that now works like a champ.

Hmmmm, I guess the second time is the charm.

At least the prices are good.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:01 AM

Default doing it twice

man he must not care about his time, well worth doing it once and spending extra dough then doing twice for free, some people, man i wish my wife were like that!!
yeah sounds like it had way to much back lash, anyway goodluck and let us know!!!
jake
Old 05-29-2005, 01:51 PM

I dont think the problem started because of the gear set being used..... my bet is on improper carrier preload at the time of assembly.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicane
I dont think the problem started because of the gear set being used..... my bet is on improper carrier preload at the time of assembly.
I was just going to say that