Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 PM

Default 1000 HP 69 Camaro rear end help!

hey guys, I trying to configure a rear end for a high performance street Camaro. I know I'm going to be using a 9" rear end, but I don't know what kind. I've been looking at fabricated housing from companies such as Moser and Currie, but I get different opinions on things such as semi floating and full floating, and detroit locker to a truetrac. I want a very strong rear end, but of course I want to be realistic at the same time. So as far as a complete rear end, what are my best options?

Thanks,
Pasquale
Old 09-20-2011, 11:40 PM

If you are going with a 9 inch, I have a brand new high horsepower third member for sale.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=33682
Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 PM

http://thegmr.com/ This might work for you
Old 09-21-2011, 09:05 AM

Thanks that diagram does help. But does anyone know what the strongest 9" would be that would also be driver friendly on the street?
Old 09-21-2011, 02:04 PM

strange nodular case, wavetrac diff, 35 spline axles, and chris alston fab 9 housing with bracing.

i have a fab 9 housing, strange case, and 31 spline axles with detroit locker. its held 800+ hp for a couple years with no problems.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

What are you going to use the car for? How are you going to make power? What sort of tires are you going to run?

I'm targeting 1000hp at the rear wheels. I'm running a Currie F9 IRS setup, with custom CVs from Driveshaft shop, Wavetrac, 35 spline, etc.

That said, I'm building power with turbo's, which is "gentler" on the drive train. I don't plan on dead hooking at high RPM, producing large amounts of driveline shock.

Besides, I expect the rear tires (345/30R20 Michelin) are going to spin if I hit it too hard in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd (and perhaps all the way into 6th).

The hardest part I've found is finding the transmission (without going to a Lenco) that will handle the torque. RPM Transmission helped me with a T56 Magnum and all the mods.

Have you thought about what ring and pinion your going to run? I'm using a 3:50:1 (pretty steep) and, without a dedicated track toy (i.e. I do plan on using it on the street), the options I found were limited.

Thoughts?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 PM

If your running 345 street tires a truetrac and 31 spline axles are all you will need, the tires will dictate EVERYTHING, and the additional 500hp you have will be good on the dyno.
my .02
Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
If your running 345 street tires a truetrac and 31 spline axles are all you will need, the tires will dictate EVERYTHING, and the additional 500hp you have will be good on the dyno.
my .02
What do you say would be the smallest tire I could run in the back? I planned on running 295/35/18 in the rear and 255/40/18 in the front. I didn't want to go too wide so I can drive around the street.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Gmr Full Floater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquale View Post
hey guys, I trying to configure a rear end for a high performance street Camaro. I know I'm going to be using a 9" rear end, but I don't know what kind. I've been looking at fabricated housing from companies such as Moser and Currie, but I get different opinions on things such as semi floating and full floating, and detroit locker to a truetrac. I want a very strong rear end, but of course I want to be realistic at the same time. So as far as a complete rear end, what are my best options?

Thanks,
Pasquale
I personally am a big fan of overkill & safety....I would definately recommend a GMR full floater fabricated chromolly housing w/35 spline axles (35 spline on both carrier & drive plate side of axles) Nobody offers a complete fabricated full floater rear, HUB to HUB with apple for apple componentry as GMR does....I know because I looked and ended up buying one myself....it is very impressive stuff. If you will be running 1000hp+ you will feel much more at ease when you lay on the throttle knowing you have these components. Being a Full Floater you will reep many benefits...eliminating pre-mature bearing wear/leaky seals and or piston knock back seen by semi-floater rears, should you 1/4 mile the car and run a set of slicks and actually hook....god forbid you snap an axle, at least you will roll to a safe stop since your hub/wheel/tire will remain in tact and allow you to coast to a safe stop. As for 3rd members I like Mosers Aluminum case and Wavetrac. If you were more of a 1/4 mile car I would say go spool since I do not believe the Wavetrac is rated continuous at 1000hp+.....but since I believe you are probably more autocross/road course/pro tour/etc. a Wavetrac probably would be the best all around center section. Well with all this being said it will not be cheap....BUT BULLETPROOF & SAFE! Email Jason over at THE GMR [email protected] Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquale View Post
What do you say would be the smallest tire I could run in the back? I planned on running 295/35/18 in the rear and 255/40/18 in the front. I didn't want to go too wide so I can drive around the street.

With 1000 hp with 295/35 18s you dont need to worry about rear end strenght at all. Tires will spin like an ice when hit the go pedal.