Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 07-28-2019, 08:36 AM

Default Early 2nd gen Formula carbon hood and hood pin options wanted

Looking for feedback on 70-73 Firebird Formula carbon hoods. As far as I know, there are 2 options...Anvil & Carbon Kustoms. Specifically interested in fit and finish along with any issues that may have popped up.

I've talked to Albert in the past. Getting the hood stateside adds significant cost. That is also a factor. I've never talked with anyone at Anvil. Neither one shows much feedback through a search here.

Also, there many hood pin options. Curious what you guys prefer and why.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:14 AM

I have one of Albert's carbon shaker / Trans Am hoods sitting here at my house at the moment. It was an early one that Albert built and had on his own car. He had installed the Aerocatch hood latches in the hood.

I bought the hood knowing that the weave pattern wasn't perfect on this one, but it still looks very good. He did a great job of mimicking the original underside structure of the hood. If you cleaned it up and painted it, one would have to take a second look to realize it's not the original metal structure.

And the hood is amazingly light! I have a VFN fiberglass hood on TOW, and I've moved both hoods around a lot. I thought the VFN was light, but it's almost heavy compared to the carbon hood. Truly a surprising difference.

I was all set to use the carbon hood on TOW, but unfortunately it will not fit due to my oil tank location. I made that based on the VFN hood which is different in that area and has more clearance. It was an expensive lesson for me unfortunately.

I run the Aerocatch latches on my VFN hood also and really like them. I originally had the Ring Brother's hood pins. They are high quality, but I really didn't like having pins in the hood and much prefer the latches. They are not very expensive, cheaper even than the pins if I remember correctly. Either will take some cutting and effort to install, but isn't hard. I have mine mounted in a side to side orientation to fit into a channel of the VFN hood. Albert had his mounted front to back. Either will work.

I can't comment on the long-term quality of the hood other than to say it's in good shape as received from Albert, and it's been on a car which was driven. My intention was to paint it, so I didn't care about any imperfections in the weave. I expect newer units are very good.

And you are correct about getting it across the border. One thing with Albert is he will work with you as best he can to help with that. He travels to and from the states often it seems, so he might be able to get a hood across the border and then ship it to save some on costs. Just chat with him and see what he might be able to do.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:35 PM

Thank you for all the info! I'll have touch base with Albert.

I'd still like to hear some feedback on Anvil. Surprisingly, a search doesn't reveal much at all.

I prefer a flatter latch over a pin myself as well.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:50 AM

Default Anvil CF

I'm friends with Albert as well as Matt @ Anvil.

I've had Anvil's 100% CF hood on my Formula for over 10 years without issue and I constantly get comments on how great it looks!

I also have their CF nose, lower front valance, trunk/spoiler and the rear filler panel between the taillights on my car... again for over 10 years with no issues.

I don't think you can go wrong with Matt or Albert's products honestly!

Anvil's Formula hood is a quality piece... as are all their other products we put on my car! HTH
Attached Images

Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Last edited by OLDFLM; 07-31-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
I'm friends with Albert as well as Matt @ Anvil.

I've had Anvil's 100% CF hood on my Formula for over 10 years without issue and I constantly get comments on how great it looks!

I also have their CF nose, lower front valance, trunk/spoiler and the rear filler panel between the taillights on my car... again for over 10 years with no issues.

I don't think you can go wrong with Matt or Albert's products honestly!

Anvil's Formula hood is a quality piece... as are all their other products we put on my car! HTH
Hoped you'd see this thread TY and give a longevity update.

Here's "young" Ty hard at work on the hood latches. hahaha

70 Firebird Esprit, 400 TA clone type "The 14 car"
lab-14.com
Old 07-31-2019, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Who makes the hinges you used and how do you feel about them?
Old 08-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Who makes the hinges you used and how do you feel about them?
IIRC the hinges were Fesler, Ty can verify when he pops in.

70 Firebird Esprit, 400 TA clone type "The 14 car"
lab-14.com
Old 08-01-2019, 10:22 AM

Default Fesler Billet

Hood hinges and most of the other billet on my car is from Fesler!

Hood hinges, door jamb vents, door strikers, hood adjusters, fender braces... 7" halogen headlights and billet 70-73 Firebird tail light bezels!

All high quality stuff with no issues for over a decade!

I highly recommend them for your Camaro!

https://www.shopfesler.com/1970-1981-camaro/
Attached Images

Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST
Old 08-01-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
Here's "young" Ty hard at work on the hood latches. hahaha

That's me cringing at the thought of drilling/screwing holes into that 100% Anvil carbon fiber hood! LOL
Old 08-01-2019, 11:06 AM

I used the Fesler hinges on my car also. I don't know if others have experienced the same problem, but I have had all sorts of issues getting the hood to sit down in the back when I have the gas struts installed. I have a set of the lowest pressure units which will hold the hood up when open, so it's not that I'm running a set that is too strong.

One of the problems with the Firebird (which I think is different from a Camaro) is that the fenders have a lip which will prevent the hinge from going down as far as the slots would allow. That is a part of the problem. You can see what I'm talking about if you look closely at the picture below. Just to the left of the post where the strut would attach:

You can see that I'm not completely bottomed on either slot (close on the front), but I'm touching the fender. I don't really want to cut the fenders here, so see below as to how I decided to attack it.

In addition, if you use the cowl to hood seal, it puts pressure on the back of the hood which can push up on it also. A steel hood has plenty of weight to crush that seal.

I very much like the Fesler hinges, so this is not a criticism of them. But if I remove the struts, I can get everything aligned perfectly. So at the moment, I leave the struts off. I know of at least 1 other car which has a carbon hood which also leaves the struts off, but I don't know which brand hinges he uses (RB or Fesler).

FWIW, this bothered me so much that I paid a local fabricator a small fortune to 3D scan the plates, modify them in SolidWorks to raise the slot, and build me a pair. I've then had them anodized. I don't have them on the car at the moment, but sometime soon I will reinstall them and try to use my struts again.

Not sure how helpful that was, but it was my chance to vent a little...