Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 06-11-2021, 04:25 PM

You have it dialed in Lance! That sounds like a super healthy approach. And, exactly why most Americans don't eat healthy. It's substantial work!

To simplify, I lean on some rice to help with carb intake with many meals. I do eat some gluten now, but sporadically. It takes a serious pile of vegetables to make up for a small amount of rice or another grain. Vegetables are alkaline and grains are acidic. If you are trying to improve your diet, offsetting grains with more vegetables is a great place to start. Just keep in mind that you will need a healthy amount to get the same calorie intake a 1/2 cup of rice or a slice of bread provide. I also lean on frozen vegetables. They are picked at peak ripeness so they pack a nice punch.

My diet hasn't been as clean lately, but I still eat healthy a majority of the time. I still lean on the 70/30 diet. Seventy percent of my calories from plants and 30% from animals. A healthy amount of vegetables/fruit/rice for carbs. A healthy amount of nuts, avocados, and all natural peanut butter for healthy fats. Mostly yogurt/lean meats for protein and a plant based protein powder before workouts.

There is no perfect diet. It's what agrees with you, how you feel, and the results show in your life and blood work.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:14 AM

I figure an update is due on this...

It has now been a bit over 4 months on this journey and we've learned SO MUCH about food and how our bodies actually work. The wife is also going through some health issues and has been seeing a Holistic Doc trying to get her tuned up. She basically was in Adrenal Fatigue, most of her digestive system wasn't working properly and almost all of the nutrients she was trying to healthily eat were just passing right through without her body absorbing much. Through many rounds of detoxing, chelation, intensive food sensitivity tests and just plain old life style changes, we now have her pointed in the right direction as well.

About 90% of what she was ingesting, her body was rejecting...it's REALLY cramped her style but what we are hoping is once she finishes the chelation treatments she can slowly start adding things back into her diet to get good nutrients back into her system and restoring her strength. She's down to about 95#s from around 110# or so but her color is MUCH better and her digestive system is back in working order once again. Leaky gut and the issues that come with it are so prevalent in today's world yet so misunderstood and left untreated...I see it VERY clearly now. And I am now reading ingredient labels at the grocery store...whodathunk?

In other news...we joined a Fitness Center. It's been over 20 years since we've belonged to any sort of a gym but we have a brand new Lifetime Fitness 1 mile from the house and it is super convenient and a very nice facility. The weather here mid summer makes it pretty difficult to exercise outside so we figured this was a good way to get back into shape and build some strength up. Part of the orientation includes a body scan which I'll share my results below. It was pretty interesting and really helps to develop a plan going forward to build back muscle and intake the appropriate nutrients and fuel needed to accomplish the goal.

Still not sure what the goal is yet, but I know that I'd like to replace some of the 25#s I've dropped in fat with some muscle.

Anyway, hope everyone's summer is going well...

The Following User Says Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
tommycomfort (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:21 AM

Lance, the results of your lifestyle change speak for themselves! The blood results and now your ideal body fat results. Personally, I think 13% body fat is ideal for a healthy male adult that wishes to maintain their lifestyle and feel well. If you get much below that, the dietary restrictions will be a challenge and it won't be much fun. Sure, you can start to see your abs at 10%, but it's not sustainable long term in my mind.

Just keep in mind that if you want to build muscle, you will need to add calories into your diet. Personally, I like to set some goals when I chase fitness. Run in X time, squat X amount, ring muscle up, etc... It keeps you focused in the gym and feeling like you are progressing.

I'm on a two month sabattical with over 3 weeks of travel and I just had a minor surgery which has sidelined me. Fitness has become such a ritual for me that I miss it immediately. I know that when I'm eating well and fit, it cascades into every area of my life and helps me be at my best. I look forward to getting back after it!!!!! Great job, man!
Old 08-03-2021, 12:49 PM

Thanks Todd! The Personal Trainer looked a bit astonished at both mine and my wife's body analysis stats and said, "Well, looks like we can skip right past the weight loss part of our programs..." I don't think he gets to say that very often to knew clients.

My workout yesterday was much better. I'm 4 workouts in now and the recovery times are getting much shorter and I'm able to do the exercises with much more control...the first few were pretty wobbly for sure. I'm looking forward to getting on a roll with them. My main goal for now is to strengthen my core up, I can tell for sure that is by far my weakest area. The PT has several resistance band exercises in my 2 programs aimed at working my core and most of the rest of the free weight stuff involves some sort of core stability as well.

The wife got the go-ahead to add avocadoes back into her diet and she's SO happy about that. We are going out to our favorite scratch kitchen Mexican place tonight and she's getting their Plantain and Guac appetizer as her meal...
Old 08-03-2021, 01:32 PM

There are so many options that work multiple muscle groups vs. the machines that isolate that will work your core. I tend to go for exercises that give me bang for the buck. A deadlift, rings, bear crawls, farmer's walks, overhead barbell press with no bench, dumbbell snatch, plank, toes to bar, and the list goes on and on. I still personally prefer a high intensity interval training or Crossfit type workout over the old gym mentality of machine to machine or exercise to exercise. I just feel better post workout and I push harder against a clock or in a social environment. Some specific strength training is a good idea additionally for any areas you feel are a weakness or of interest. I still like to run and jog especially off road, but I know it's not really that healthy compared to high intensity interval training workout. With a HIIT workout, we can work on strength and cardio. I recall when I was in peak Crossfit shape at 41, I ran a 6:05 mile with almost no running training! I couldn't believe it. Lifetime is a gorgeous facility. I was a member there for many years as well.
tommycomfort (08-04-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 02:23 PM

Little update...

Feb-21 Jun-21 Oct-21
Cholesterol / HDL Ratio 8.3 5.3 4.3
HDL 31 37 43
LDL 165 133 122
Non-HDL Cholesterol 227 159 142
Total Cholesterol 258 196 185
Triglyceride 312 133 86
VLDL 62 26 20
Glucose (Blood) 102 97 97
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 22 43.2
Weight 190 159 159
Skeletal Muscle Mass 77.6 79.8
Body Fat mass 21.8 17.9
BMI 21.6 21.6
Percent Body Fat 13.7 11.3
Visceral Fat Level 4 3

I'm pretty happy with that...
camcojb (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 04:14 PM

But, how do you feel?
Old 10-14-2021, 10:56 PM

Pretty damn good really. I haven't taken a pain reliever in 6 months, my stomach issues are completely gone and I'm stronger and have more torso core muscle strength than I ever had before, evah...

Took a short trip out of town and missed 7 days at the gym, today was first day back. Was off a bit but I'm sure it'll all come back after a few more days.

Eating well while traveling is tough, especially when in a third world country like New Mexico with a bunch of cousins at a reunion...but we made it..
Roscoe03 (10-16-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 06:01 PM

That's the most important part. I'm glad to hear you feel well.

I'm two months post surgery and I've been putting in the time deadlifting, squatting, curling, push pressing, bar muscle ups, running, etc.. I'm really happy with my progress. My legs are feeling strong again and my joints feel far better. I took a two month sabattical this summer with almost a month of travel so my diet and workout routine suffered, then I had a surgery that put me out for a month. At 44, I was surprised how fast I went down hill. I decided to increase my reps to put less strain on my joints/ligaments. I did 100 burpees for time this AM and it was a challenge. I'm certainly not in Crossfit shape anymore, but my body is feeling good and I'm getting stronger. I really like the deadlift and squat for total body strength and muscle building. The farmer's walk is great too. I really like to run, but it's really counter productive for strength and joint longevity. I'm only running one day a week right now. I'm hiking with my little buddy now which I really enjoy. My diet is good, not great. I'm more motivated to gain strength and feel well than I am to be lean at this point of my life. I'm sure the bug will come around again as I've cut down many times over the last decade or so.
Roscoe03 (10-16-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 10:06 PM

I'm not really sure where this is heading. I am still enjoying transforming my body, it's been fun seeing the results. I started this to straighten up the lipid panel and while the Tryglycerides are now better than ever, I still need to work on the chloresteral #s. The weight loss and strength gain was kind of a surprise as was the fix of the stomach issues.

I will say this though, the hardest part is finding good foods to eat. It's no wonder to me now why so many people are way overweight these days, Our food supply is 95% crap...

I think it's starting to get better though, hopefully that trend continues and more people realize the garbage in/ garbage out reality if picking the foods they ingest better.
Roscoe03 (10-19-2021)