...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Stielow's Avatar
Stielow Stielow is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,225
Thanks: 24
Thanked 1,118 Times in 310 Posts
Default Camaro LT5



Here we go again..... Another 1969 Camaro California Black plate all original sheet metal donar Car.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Stielow Engineering
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stielow For This Useful Post:
WILWAXU (06-03-2019)
  #2  
Old 06-03-2019, 06:42 PM
Stielow's Avatar
Stielow Stielow is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,225
Thanks: 24
Thanked 1,118 Times in 310 Posts
Default



So far nice solid car.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Stielow Engineering
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-03-2019, 06:43 PM
Stielow's Avatar
Stielow Stielow is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,225
Thanks: 24
Thanked 1,118 Times in 310 Posts
Default




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Stielow Engineering
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stielow For This Useful Post:
kholubar (07-05-2020)
  #4  
Old 06-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Stielow's Avatar
Stielow Stielow is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,225
Thanks: 24
Thanked 1,118 Times in 310 Posts
Default



Got to have an LT5 and BIG Brembo brakes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Stielow Engineering
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stielow For This Useful Post:
Cosmo mentis (03-08-2020), kwhizz (06-05-2019), redfire69 (06-04-2019), WILWAXU (06-03-2019)
  #5  
Old 06-05-2019, 12:19 PM
will69camaro will69camaro is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,409
Thanks: 206
Thanked 121 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post


Got to have an LT5 and BIG Brembo brakes.
Tried to send a message but box is full again. Can you go into some detail on how the C6 ZR1 caliper and ZL1 rotor worked together? I know on IG you said a custom rotor hat but i'd like to hear as much detail as possible. I'm wanting to eventually get out of the wilwoods on my car and move to something more OEM quality.
__________________
Texas A&M BSME 2008
1969 Camaro - Hugger Orange
1969 C10 SWB - Hugger Orange
2018 GMC Denali HD
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to will69camaro For This Useful Post:
Jjsqwuik (01-24-2021), SuperB70 (04-21-2020)
  #6  
Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Stielow's Avatar
Stielow Stielow is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,225
Thanks: 24
Thanked 1,118 Times in 310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
Tried to send a message but box is full again. Can you go into some detail on how the C6 ZR1 caliper and ZL1 rotor worked together? I know on IG you said a custom rotor hat but i'd like to hear as much detail as possible. I'm wanting to eventually get out of the wilwoods on my car and move to something more OEM quality.


There is a bit of a story. I love the Carbon Ceramic brake set up on the C6 ZR1, but they require a lot of brake cooling to work correctly. I did that on Hellfire and they work great. I did not do that on Jackass and they would get too hot.

To get better brake performance with out all the extra complexity of big cooling ducts you can add Thermal Mass (Iron Rotors).

I wanted to swap the Carbon Rotors on Jackass to Iron. The new CTS-V and ZL1 use a 390 mm iron rotor that is the same thickness as a 393 mm Carbon Ceramic rotor. The 3 mm delta is taken up by the pad.

OK easy Iíll swap the 390 mm iron rotors on Jackass. Issue is the offset on the CTS-V and ZL1 hat is different. No problem I have friends with CNC machining centers that make gun parts. I was informed the tolerances on my brake hats are tighter then gun parts.

So I got some ZL1 Rotors and added my custom hats.

To recap. Stock C6 ZR1 calipers, 390 mm Gen 6 ZL1 Rotors and custom hats. The ZR1 calipers use the same brake pad shape for Carbon Ceramic and Iron Rotors.

I had all this stuff laying around so Iím going to try it.

It will be easier to buy a Brembo kit.

Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Stielow Engineering
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stielow For This Useful Post:
Cosmo mentis (03-08-2020), rat_rod_russell (06-08-2019), redfire69 (06-06-2019), Roscoe03 (06-05-2019), Sparks67 (06-12-2019), will69camaro (06-05-2019)
  #7  
Old 06-06-2019, 12:10 AM
CRCRFT78's Avatar
CRCRFT78 CRCRFT78 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I also noticed the Grand Prix. Looks like the one Holley was building a couple of years ago.
__________________
Jose
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-06-2019, 10:36 AM
OLDFLM's Avatar
OLDFLM OLDFLM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,241
Thanks: 115
Thanked 63 Times in 40 Posts
Default Production Hats?

fwiw I noticed the 1st gen Firebird to the left...

I went with KORE3 brakes on my car for the OEM reasons stated above.

Any chance of a production run of modified ZL1 rotor hats in the future should these prove your theory Mark?
__________________
Ty Ingle, USAF Retired
FREEDOMBIRD
Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-19-2019, 10:30 PM
jwillia2's Avatar
jwillia2 jwillia2 is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 125
Thanks: 28
Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Very great info on the brakes your a world of info. What Diff are you going to run in this car? I just had one go with 700 miles on it and I know you beat on your cars. Ford 9 from DSE and a eaton its DONE! I didn't even get to work on it. Found broken parts and a washer in the bottom. Cant wait to see this LT5 push this car around the track .






Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post
There is a bit of a story. I love the Carbon Ceramic brake set up on the C6 ZR1, but they require a lot of brake cooling to work correctly. I did that on Hellfire and they work great. I did not do that on Jackass and they would get too hot.

To get better brake performance with out all the extra complexity of big cooling ducts you can add Thermal Mass (Iron Rotors).

I wanted to swap the Carbon Rotors on Jackass to Iron. The new CTS-V and ZL1 use a 390 mm iron rotor that is the same thickness as a 393 mm Carbon Ceramic rotor. The 3 mm delta is taken up by the pad.

OK easy Iíll swap the 390 mm iron rotors on Jackass. Issue is the offset on the CTS-V and ZL1 hat is different. No problem I have friends with CNC machining centers that make gun parts. I was informed the tolerances on my brake hats are tighter then gun parts.

So I got some ZL1 Rotors and added my custom hats.

To recap. Stock C6 ZR1 calipers, 390 mm Gen 6 ZL1 Rotors and custom hats. The ZR1 calipers use the same brake pad shape for Carbon Ceramic and Iron Rotors.

I had all this stuff laying around so Iím going to try it.

It will be easier to buy a Brembo kit.

Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Ironworks Built 1969 Camaro AKA "HillbillyDLX"
Full DSE suspension LSA T56
Forgeline MonoBlock GA1R OPEN LUG
https://lateral-g.net/members/williams69/
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwillia2 For This Useful Post:
Scubachef (11-30-2020)
  #10  
Old 06-21-2019, 01:52 PM
Stielow's Avatar
Stielow Stielow is online now
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,225
Thanks: 24
Thanked 1,118 Times in 310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillia2 View Post
Very great info on the brakes your a world of info. What Diff are you going to run in this car? I just had one go with 700 miles on it and I know you beat on your cars. Ford 9 from DSE and a eaton its DONE! I didn't even get to work on it. Found broken parts and a washer in the bottom. Cant wait to see this LT5 push this car around the track .
Ford 9 inch gears are my nemesis. I have lost track of how many sets I have failed in my life. I do not think it is the fault of the diff assemblers. My data shows it is poor gear manufacturing. I attempt to use real Ford gears and they seem to be the quietest and most durable. Occasionally you will get a good aftermarket set of gears. I found out that most gear suppliers set up there tooling / gear grinding and let it run until it is way out of tolerance. So if you get an "Early" set they may be good and if you get one of the last ones they maybe bad.

US Gear is going to make some "Stealth Gear" that are suppose to be more to OE tolerances. My buddy has a set to test on how quite they using some "real" measuring equipment. (An actual engineering test).

I hope they are good and stay good. Our community needs a better solution than digging though junk yards to find usable old Ford gears to get a quite gear set.

Mark
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stielow For This Useful Post:
Cosmo mentis (06-21-2019), LS1-IROC (06-24-2019), rat_rod_russell (06-25-2019), Sonar Chief (05-14-2021)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Lateral-g.net