...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2022, 01:29 PM
AMSOILGUY's Avatar
AMSOILGUY AMSOILGUY is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 285
Thanks: 46
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Default Crypto 101?

I followed Investing 102 for many years and credit Greg Weld(RIP) with helping me get my first brokerage account, custodial brokerages for my kids, recognizing that I could get in the game without paying administrative fees and doing it myself. I don't remember the topic of crypto currencies being talked about. Maybe I missed it or at the time it wasn't relevent to 101. I feel like things have progressed positively since 101 began for crypto. You can earn all kinds of interest and build lots of passive income.

Let's get a crypto 101 going so we can learn from each other in this space!

I bought my first crypto about 2 years ago. It took me a long time to look at what was going on. I had a good friend telling me you need to get in the game. I hated the idea of the whole thing"electronic money". With his persuasion and doing lots of research into blockchain technology and the politicians trying to regulate it rather then destroy it I dove in. My only regret is I didn't do it sooner. Who knows what's to come and yes I know I'm late to the Bitcoin train but I believe that is just the tip of the iceberg. I started out on Robinhood like lots of people do but quickly learned you never own the crypto because you can't remove it from the app. Their hand was really exposed with the whole AMC AND Gamestop fiasco. I would not buy Crypto there because its not really yours.

I then transitioned to Coinbase which is a great platform and still use it today. I then learned about Coinbase Pro which has way less fees then regular Coinbase. I have moved most of my crypto over to Crypto.com because that is where I found the best interest for lots of what I was buying previously. I got their debit card which pays me rewards in crypto for all my purchases."I can explain more about this if you have questions"

Most of the exchanges offer free crypto for downloading the apps and referring. I did include mine but really am more interested in learning what you all have been doing in Crypto.

What exchanges are you guys using?
What defi wallets do you recommend?
What NFT projects are you watching/hodling?
What NFT exchanges are you using?
What tokens/currencies are you earning passive income from?
What security protections are you using and why?

Yes I know some people probably think its all a scam or a phonzi scheme and if you have information we should all know about those things lets here them also. It's definitely a big boy playing field as in if you make a mistake it may be irreversible.

I can share some stories from people I know who lost money transferring it in formats the receiving exchange/wallet didn't except.

Definitely be careful and do research like any other investment but I feel like it's here to stay. Many of you probably figured this out long ago and have reaped the rewards. If you will share your story I want to hear about it as do others I'm sure.
__________________
319-929-8697
[email protected]
www.jacobehlers.com

Last edited by AMSOILGUY; 01-14-2022 at 03:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2022, 01:37 PM
nickcornilsen's Avatar
nickcornilsen nickcornilsen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Crypto is not an investment, any more than other ponzi schemes are. It's a gamble.

Crypto zealots will attack this, I won't respond. There is plenty of sober analysis out there to read on the structural and inherent risks and issues with cryptocurrency, seek it out and make sure you understand it before committing any money to crypto.

I would NOT count on it existing for very long.
__________________
Wanted - F-Body LS1 oilpan/pickup/baffle

Last edited by nickcornilsen; 01-11-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nickcornilsen For This Useful Post:
AMSOILGUY (01-13-2022)
  #3  
Old 01-11-2022, 02:09 PM
AMSOILGUY's Avatar
AMSOILGUY AMSOILGUY is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 285
Thanks: 46
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcornilsen View Post
Crypto is not an investment, any more than other ponzi schemes are. It's a gamble.

Crypto zealots will attack this, I won't respond. There is plenty of sober analysis out there to read on the structural and inherent risks and issues with cryptocurrency, seek it out and make sure you understand it before committing any money to crypto.

I would NOT count on it existing for very long.
Maybe this topic will derail fast. Many people feel the same way as you Nick. Based on conversations I've had with people. The majority of people don't want to learn anything about it. I'm the only person in my family even extended who is in crypto.
__________________
319-929-8697
[email protected]
www.jacobehlers.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2022, 04:10 PM
nickcornilsen's Avatar
nickcornilsen nickcornilsen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSOILGUY View Post
Maybe this topic will derail fast. Many people feel the same way as you Nick. Based on conversations I've had with people. The majority of people don't want to learn anything about it. I'm the only person in my family even extended who is in crypto.
Don't try to paint those who are warning against it as just "not knowing what it is."

I researched it quite alot 4-5 years ago, and even had some bitcoin for a bit. Made a bit of money. From that research, I realized it's not something that should constitute any significant portion of your investment portfolio. Sooner or later, it will collapse because there are no stabilizing feedback mechanisms for the price, and even as people adapt to the notion of a digital currency, nations will will ban bitcoin/any other 'coin' and create their own. It will be a victim of it's own sucess.

buying these coins as speculative 'investments' also isn't investing in "block-chain technology" either.
__________________
Wanted - F-Body LS1 oilpan/pickup/baffle
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nickcornilsen For This Useful Post:
AMSOILGUY (01-13-2022)
  #5  
Old 01-11-2022, 05:49 PM
AMSOILGUY's Avatar
AMSOILGUY AMSOILGUY is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 285
Thanks: 46
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcornilsen View Post
Don't try to paint those who are warning against it as just "not knowing what it is."

I researched it quite alot 4-5 years ago, and even had some bitcoin for a bit. Made a bit of money. From that research, I realized it's not something that should constitute any significant portion of your investment portfolio. Sooner or later, it will collapse because there are no stabilizing feedback mechanisms for the price, and even as people adapt to the notion of a digital currency, nations will will ban bitcoin/any other 'coin' and create their own. It will be a victim of it's own sucess.

buying these coins as speculative 'investments' also isn't investing in "block-chain technology"
I'm not saying you or anybody else is thinking something or doing anything. I was looking for a conversation about a popular topic in "investing" Im also not advocating for anything. You clearly do not think its worthy of being called an investment and I'm ok with that. I call it that because thats how I look at it.
__________________
319-929-8697
[email protected]
www.jacobehlers.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2022, 10:40 PM
CRCRFT78's Avatar
CRCRFT78 CRCRFT78 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I'd like to hear what some of you think about this also. I remember it being brought up early on in the Investing 101 thread and the backlash it received then. Those that bought into Bitcoin back then should be able to offer some insight now. The one thing I have a hard time with is it seems as soon as you learn a little something about one crypto, another one pops up and your back to square one.
__________________
Jose
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CRCRFT78 For This Useful Post:
AMSOILGUY (01-13-2022)
  #7  
Old 02-04-2022, 11:07 AM
slimjim's Avatar
slimjim slimjim is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 195
Thanks: 21
Thanked 49 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Sounds like you had a wallet/holding problem that made things difficult to withdraw. The ease of access is one of my favorite attributes crypto.
Unlike my shares, having to wait for markets to open, and then clearing into my bank account, if I sell any crypto, itís in my account in minutes, and if I see something worth buying or the market drops like it did last week I can payid/Osko to my wallet(binance(not US)) instantaneously and buy.
Youíre dead right in avoiding those gimmicky cryptos that come and go however.
Bitcoin and key players stick around however.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
NC
streamline 68 camaro
Build Thread here
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slimjim For This Useful Post:
AMSOILGUY (02-05-2022)
  #8  
Old 02-05-2022, 03:20 PM
AMSOILGUY's Avatar
AMSOILGUY AMSOILGUY is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 285
Thanks: 46
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
Sounds like you had a wallet/holding problem that made things difficult to withdraw. The ease of access is one of my favorite attributes crypto.
Unlike my shares, having to wait for markets to open, and then clearing into my bank account, if I sell any crypto, itís in my account in minutes, and if I see something worth buying or the market drops like it did last week I can payid/Osko to my wallet(binance(not US)) instantaneously and buy.
Youíre dead right in avoiding those gimmicky cryptos that come and go however.
Bitcoin and key players stick around however.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you get a crypto card with Binance? Thats my favorite perk from the exchange. I get 3% back on all purchases in CRO token. What do you get?
__________________
319-929-8697
[email protected]
www.jacobehlers.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-05-2022, 09:05 PM
slimjim's Avatar
slimjim slimjim is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 195
Thanks: 21
Thanked 49 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSOILGUY View Post
Did you get a crypto card with Binance? Thats my favorite perk from the exchange. I get 3% back on all purchases in CRO token. What do you get?

Unfortunately itís still not available with Binance australia just yet.
It looks like a neat perk though


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
NC
streamline 68 camaro
Build Thread here
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slimjim For This Useful Post:
AMSOILGUY (02-08-2022)
  #10  
Old 02-07-2022, 07:47 AM
AMSOILGUY's Avatar
AMSOILGUY AMSOILGUY is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 285
Thanks: 46
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Default Blockchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
Unfortunately itís still not available with Binance australia just yet.
It looks like a neat perk though


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man that 3% is just the beginning. Do you hold Matic crypto? For anybody wondering what that is, its a blockchain created as a less expensive but fast alternative to Ethereum. There are millions of dollars in transactions happening daily on this blockchain.

Blockchain Definition: a system in which a record of transactions made in bitcoin or another cryptocurrency are maintained across several computers that are linked in a peer-to-peer network
__________________
319-929-8697
[email protected]
www.jacobehlers.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Lateral-g.net