Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 09-26-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Regarding water intake...I've tried to increase my intake...but all it does is make me pee more. WTF good does it due to push liters and liters of water through your system if all you are doing is peeing it right back out again?

I don't drink any types of soda, 2 cups of coffee every morning is it, unsweetened tea if I desire something other than water and maybe a bit of red wine every now and then. I can tell if I start to get dehydrated as I'll start getting some kidney pain, this usually happens when working hard outside, sweating at a racetrack all day or something like that. Pushing some water clears it right up. Otherwise I have an insulated cup with ice water in it with me at all times during the day every day but I drink maybe 26-36 ounces a day...no where near what most say I should. Anymore than that and I have to make sure I'm around a facility at all times it seems...
Could be the coffee?

I find tea and coffee has me peeing like a bust water pipe. Up several times during the night.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:41 PM

Subscribed again...

Sorry to say fell off the wagon a couple of years ago and I was ashamed to keep following this.

Back on track somewhat now, walking daily at least 2 miles, some weights with a trainer (slowly) reduced calorie intake, quit drinking. Lost 22 pounds, have 40 to go.

Will be using family, this and of course the trainer to go for success this time.

Thanks Todd for starting it back up, the words of inspiration I am reading to others, that ring true to me also. Hopefully I can add to it.

Lance the water thing might need checked by a Doctor, ask about flowmax or read about it. same issue I had/have, I am almost 62, pee all night...

Joe

My 68 Torino
Old 02-08-2018, 09:26 PM

Good for you Joe. Keep moving forward...

I started Crossfit about 4 months ago and I really enjoy it. That's a huge key to stay physically active, you have to find something you like to do. I always thought people that did Crossfit were out of their minds. The workouts are grueling, in a warehouse with little heat or air, and early in the morning. It's the culture and results that make it so appealing. I always say it's challenging, positive, and fun. I work out with the same group most days and we compete for time and weight along with ripping on each other.

For me and I think most, when you are close to your best physically, it cascades positively into every area of your life. Many don't do well simply because they don't feel well. I'll go out on a limb and say that many don't realize just how bad they feel everyday. We are made to move and move a lot. I've been serious about getting healthier for over 5 years now and it still amazes me how much room I find to grow. You have to know thyself and that takes time and experience.

While physical health is crucial, a healthy body can be sick from sour thoughts and actions. Your attitude has a huge effect on how you feel. To prove my point, next time you find yourself thinking pessimistically, turn it around to optimistic or grateful thoughts. It will transform the way you feel.

I personally try to start everyday with some type of positive influence and follow it up with Crossfit or some type of activity. I've primed my mind and body. In fact, the challenge of Crossfit challenges me mentally as well. The day and its challenges becomes a whole lot easier once you have pushed yourself beyond where you thought you could go and endured some pain.

On the flip side, I've learned to work more margin into my days and rest more effectively. Most Americans live a vastly over scheduled life with very little margin. It results in all kinds of problems. Why over scheduled? Many don't know why they keep pushing so hard and others are forced due to obligations. Obligations to jobs they hate or debt that shackles them.

Remember, the price you pay for anything is the amount of life you trade for it.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:18 AM

I thought I would check in and tell about my day yesterday.

I took a "step class" Mostly women one younger guy and one older, I am guessing 75? I usually don't go in for the classes at the Gym, especially ones that involve dancing and coordination

I was a bit out of my league but I was "all in". The lady behind me was encouraging me, I was sweating like a politician, and I was having fun.

After the class the "older gentleman came up and said "you must be new here" and "you did great" It only takes about three months to get in sync with these ladies"

I bring this up because, If like me you are/were in a rut, semi-depressed, need to burn some fat, give it a shot, it really is a blast. I had several other encouraging comments as well.

Thanks for listening
Joe, the fat old jarhead, on a force march again

My 68 Torino
Old 03-08-2018, 06:32 AM

I wanted to drop off some words of encouragement for whomever needs it.

In December the day after Christmas I hit rock bottom with my health and weight. I was at 316 and sluggish, taking a nap every day. I was depressed and felt like heck.I had been sick with a head cold since Thanksgiving and that cold lasted until the first full week of January.

On January 12th I decided I was tired of being complacent and overweight. I needed to get down to at least 270 like my doctor had told me last fall. I set a goal of 260 and joined a health club on January 13th.

I started by walking around the inside track, 16 laps equal a mile. I felt humiliated at first as even "older" seniors were "running" and passing me. Gradually I made it to where I could walk/run, then sprint. I hired a trainer that taught me weight routines, legs, arms, core, etc. I bought a Fitbit for my wife and I, and their scale so I could track my progress and my weight. I put myself on a low calorie diet, quit drinking back in December and have stuck to that and the diet.

Today I am down 35 pounds, this is a combination of the strict diet, working out 6 days a week, a trainer, and a supportive wife. I also do all the cooking so I know what is going in for fuel and I can track it. I still have 11 pounds to get to the doctors goal. I have decided I can and will go beyond my goal of 260 for my health, I am 6', 6" and 240 is more likely a better weight but I need to go back to the doctor to discuss.

Think about this for a moment... If an overweight, 61 year old guy that was depressed, taking naps daily can get out of his slump, so can you. I think Todd started this as a "Help others" post, I hope this does that...

So I throw this out there, if you need encouragement beyond this. PM me. I will be glad to talk.

Thanks for listening, Joe

My 68 Torino
The Following User Says Thank You to jarhead For This Useful Post:
BMR Sales (03-16-2021)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Congrats on taking control and taking action.

Here's to surpassing your goal!

Daniel
Old 03-08-2018, 10:07 AM

That's fantastic Joe. Health is paramount as it effects EVERYTHING. It's fun to make progress and feel better!

It's really a daily fight between good and evil. It sounds like you are developing some great habits that have the chance to serve you for life. Keep finding ways to get better as I believe there is no ceiling.

P.S. I'd keep the nap in the mix. Rest is great for you body and mind. 10-15 minutes in the afternoon really reboots the system. I try to sneak one in everyday. It's usually more mental for me.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:34 AM

Thanks,
Yep I still sneak a nap in every once in a while. I had to do one prior to the gym yesterday. I needed 30 minutes after work due to an annoying day and it helped me focus on the workout as well.
Joe

My 68 Torino
Old 03-12-2021, 11:51 AM

Healthy living has been at the forefront for us lately as I recently had my once every 4 years annual physical. Seems that even though I seem very healthy in just about every way, my total cholesterol # made my Dr want to put me on a statin.

I'm 54 years old, 6' 0" 175# practice a moderate exercise program averaging 10,000+ steps a day, and eat what I consider to be a pretty healthy diet.

Total 258
Trigl 312
HDL 31
LDL 165

Doc thinks I'm a walking heart attack but my survey from College of Cardiology results show a 9.2% chance of cardiovascular disease in next 10 years and that lowers to a 6.2% chance if I start taking statins. **rollseyes**

We instituted a portion control diet of even healthier sorts adding in nutrition and taking out fats for last week or so. I'm down about 5# but I'm freaking HUNGRY all the time and my gut is not settled.

I should say, I'm a HUGE eater... My portions are typically larger than most of my friends that are 200#+. I've always had a HUGE appetite. Lowering my portion intake could possibly be a solution to help my liver function and get it to stop over creating cholesterol, but frankly, it sucks being hungry all the time.

Anyway, rant off...I'll try to post updates along the way.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Lance,
Every four years is better than I am doing. Lol
Stick with the diet, and hopefully your body adjusts.
I did a similar thing 5 years ago and lost 30 lbs. I feel much better nowadays and am not on any meds other than some acid reducers at 52 years young. I am trying to keep it that way as long as possible.
Take care of yourself because Barney has a lot of laps left in It (and probably a few burnouts too!)