Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 03-23-2019, 09:23 AM

If I may ... and for christ sakes dont jump on me for this . I believe that Mr negative Nancy as Swartz refers to him as isnt being as negative as we think . My thoughts are he just doesnt know the differences and the benefits of the new Holley over the gm .... or maybe I'm wrong and he is just negative. Lol
For me I like this . I like the idea of being able to tune a target A/f ratio . This hobby and fuel are beyond $$$ enough so being able to dial it right in to burn every gram of dinosaur blood is awesome , AND not having to buy hp tuner credits . Now I dont know enough about fan control with AC and such but , i do know having PWM controll is what i want

Last edited by raustinss; 03-23-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:32 PM

Default He's so Wrong

Negative Nancy here. Okay, so maybe my original reaction was a bit much, but I am a Gen IV LS owner/user, so the benefits are a bit harder to understand. Yes, I have also been working with HP Tuners for close to a couple of years now, so I do have amateur experience and am not just whining for the sake of Holley hate or being a cheapskate--I'm just not a shill trying to make a buck or get free parts. My LS is in a Ford, and I do not own any actual GM vehicles, so I am not here to represent the brand.

Gen IV LS = drive by wire throttle (not necessary, but why not use it?), and if you have an automatic, as you would if you bought a used unit from a junkyard, you will more than likely have a 6l80 (no good for Holley unit), not a 4l80, unless you got an older LS2 from a GTO, or a 4.8 from a 1500-level pickup truck. Do your own math here on the priced in "benefits" from Holley. I just tend to try and use what I bought with a complete engine . . .

With this in mind, were I to build a new (used) Gen IV LS for another car, which I will do in the future, the Holley unit does make me think of considering how much junkers are likely to mark up the prices of complete units, i.e., those that come with computers, wiring, front dress, and necessary (front) O2 sensors. All of these things must be priced in, even if you're buying a new GM Performance LS3 package. Usually, a complete junkyard engine/tranny setup winds up being a pretty good deal, but sometimes a new GM unit is actually a better deal. The ancillaries can eat a lot of dollars, if you're sloppy in buying. At Holley's price, especially with the extra 500 bucks they tack on for DBW and 4l80 control, they should be throwing in one of their Chinese manifolds and a set of rails. Fitech does.

So, say that you get a nice Gen IV 6.0 longblock with no intake or computer or wiring. A thousand for the Holley unit sounds reasonable. Just add a breadbox intake, injectors that suit your purpose, a van pedal, and you're mostly good. Add some front dress ($400.00 used?), and the price has climbed to a point where you should be seriously considering the complete (used) unit . . .

Oh, and HPTuners only requires additional credits for additional vehicles. If you are only tuning your own stuff, you should never have to buy additional credits (unless you own like eight different LS-powered things). There is of course a prolonged learning curve, but hey, wasn't this hotrodding, of which learning used to be a thing? My first time around, I paid a guy on eBay $300.00 bucks for a harness re-do and a Vats removal; it worked great. After this, I realized I wanted to learn to tune myself (and add a turbo and a cam).

Another point to add is that while it is cool that the Holley includes the wideband O2, there is a reason that people (like me and many others) still run narrow band O2s on a turbo (or NA) setup: The wideband sensors tend to crap out a lot more frequently (research will tell). I'm on my second one (AEM w/Bosch 4.9) in a year. From what I've learned, wideband O2s should be seen as tuning devices, rather than running devices, although I have never taken mine out since installing it (except to replace a bum AEM unit); I watch AFR while driving. I'm just an amateur, however . . .

The benefits are inarguably there, so long as your situation is perfect, and you don't purposely suck at math.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 PM

Lmao ..well thanks "NANCY" lol btw what is your first name rustomatic?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:24 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Well, I don't know anything about anything. But, I do presume this is a good product. As for learning, since "we all are hotrodding," I don't think this is no different than having the ability to learn to paint our own cars, weld and fabricate too. Obviously, all of those things are an option, but many of us can't learn or simply just wanna buy our stuff. Therefore, Holley is meeting supply and demand. That doesn't make it a bad thing. Consequently, if we learned those aforementioned skills, of course we all know it'll be cheaper to do anything ourselves, but that's a whole other issue. I mean, since it's an issue of learning, we should all learn to build our own houses, learn to open a multi-million dollar company and be our own bosses too so we don't have to work for anyone else. But, seriously, I've heard nothing but good things about Holley's Dominator series, so I think this will suit the crate motor community just fine.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:33 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Here is a decent (maybe slightly rambling) review of the software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqWYT6Ikdww&t=187s

I have a lot of experience with the Dominator, all very positive. I went over the software myself and the look and feel is the same as other Holley software. There are definitely differences between the software but they are all directly tied into the differences in hardware between the Terminator X and the other ECUs.

Most guys that want to run a common crate engine don't need super advanced features of the Dominator. Besides, to take advantage of the Dominator advanced features, you really need a deep understanding of what you want to accomplish. The Dominator is really only necessary for (drag) racing applications.

Also, let's not forget that the Terminator X is for LS engines. There are hints in the software that Coyote and Gen3 Hemi applications are on the way. Older engine platforms are not supported.

Andrew
Please get in touch if I can be of service.
My YouTube Channel
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewb70 For This Useful Post:
WILWAXU (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 02:00 PM

Eh, well maybe I was a little more ready for this than I thought...

I'm sure there will be plenty of reviews out there before mine is done but I'll let you all know how it goes!

Name:  holleyx.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  121.4 KB
Old 04-04-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@Ridetech View Post
Eh, well maybe I was a little more ready for this than I thought...

I'm sure there will be plenty of reviews out there before mine is done but I'll let you all know how it goes!

Attachment 68734
Look forward to hearing it.

Watched a couple of reviews of the software and it does seem like a truly capable piece. Excited to see it.
1969 Mach 1 Fastback | New Project
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBronco For This Useful Post:
Josh@Ridetech (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBronco View Post
Look forward to hearing it.

Watched a couple of reviews of the software and it does seem like a truly capable piece. Excited to see it.
You and I both! I'm ready to get the car going.

I'm really liking the videos that I'm seeing, it looks like it's going to do everything and more than I need.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:17 PM

I just made a video (part 1) showing some basics of the Terminator X software.

https://youtu.be/v5Otn-AyncE

Thanks for watching!

Andrew
Please get in touch if I can be of service.
My YouTube Channel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewb70 For This Useful Post:
Jimmy Sean (05-01-2019), WILWAXU (04-29-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 AM

Hey all, I got mine in and the engine fired up. ProTip, if you cant find your OEM injectors in the list in the wizard (and theyre on the HOlley supported injector list) then theyre probably in the other ignition injector list.

When you go through the wizard, it ask if youre 24x or 58x reluctor, the very next screen is Choose Your Injectors. You'll notice it says 24X tooth ign OEM injector sets at the top of the screen. I clicked around for a bit until I went back and selected 58x and went to the next screen and found my injectors. What I ended up doing was selecting the correct reluctor and picking a random injector. I finished the wizard and didnt start the car. I pulled the SD card out the handheld and went to the laptop and loaded up the file created by the wizard into the Terminator X software and changed to my correct injector type there.

Positives: If you dont know what youre doing with HPTuners (I dont really and I could never get the car idle tuned properly) then this unit is for you. After answering the questions in the Wizard, the car fired right up.
- The ECU is light and neatly packaged.
- the harness is complete

Negatives: I have a Max unit so there is an extra harness and gigantic relays. If youre tucking everything under the dash, good luck finding space if you have an original AC car (theres hardly ANY room in my car for all of that stuff).
- the harness puts the IAC, Fuel pressure, TPS, IAT, and CTS all in the same spot. My fuel pressure unit is in the back near the firewall so I had to extend the harness.
- Overall, imo, the harness couldve had like another 6" to a foot of length in some spots, other not so much. I had to almost lay the trans harness on the bell housing to get enough length and I dont love doing that.

So, I have yet to drive to test the initial trans settings. Ive just been taking my time tucking wires and looming and trying to fix my DAMN STARTER grind.

You can call me Bart