Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 02-22-2021, 09:11 AM
Supporting Member

Default 10" Floating Screen Apple Car Play 69 Camaro

It seems pretty much all newer cars have infotainment touch screen radios. We have Applecar play in our 2019 Chevy and love the ability to interface the maps, texts, calls, and music. I put an Alpine unit in my son's 2007 Saturn ION quad coupe that works flawlessly with a back up camera.

So...1969 Camaro...not so good. Seems like guys totally rebuild the entire dash to house screens. Keep or sell my car, it needs to be updated. So, I went on an Internet adventure looking and came up with a bunch of options for what they call single din FLOATING screens. Of all the ones I saw - even super high dollar ones, an entry level from Boss had the largest and totally articulating screen where it can be moved after set. The Sony and Alpine and others have to be fixed - then stay there.

I found my local Autozone had this in-stock for $220! For that, it was worth it...and my Kenwood was out of date and starting to have problems.

Here is a couple of pictures. I made a full video of all this I'll upload later - but I'm thrilled. This area of the dash on a stock configuration does nothing anyway. I like that the Boss also has an actual volume knob. It is easier to reach as it is closer and due to the fact the screen position adjusts it is NOT in the way of my leg/knee - or other issue. Can still see my blinkers and warning lights, move the shifter...and get in and out without bumping it.

I also put a pair of 6" speakers in the doors -hated that because it requires a healthy slice in the door frame, but I put a galvanized metal plate to flatten it all out and support the new speakers. This has an Alpine amp in the trunk with a 10" sub and 6x9s in the rear deck. It sounds amazing.

These are raw...just hooked up photos. The dang power antenna took a crap on my during this. The right fender has to come off to access it....so that will be a project for another day (or another owner )
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to 69MyWay For This Useful Post:
raustinss (02-22-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 02:49 PM

This was was my version in 15'
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2021, 07:41 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnova View Post
that's awesome. I love the boarder around it.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:36 AM

Default Boss Audio

Can you guys provide p/n's? There are quite a few choices on the Boss Audio website. https://bossaudio.com/auto-products/in-dash/ thanks. -Bob
Old 03-01-2021, 01:05 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBPanel View Post
Can you guys provide p/n's? There are quite a few choices on the Boss Audio website. https://bossaudio.com/auto-products/in-dash/ thanks. -Bob
Yep - BE10ACP

check around - I believe the one Crutchfield sells comes WITH a back up camera. I paid about $25 for one off Amazon that I had used in the past with good luck.

I had to call Autozone as they didn't have the part number online. They looked it up and brought it over - the one for $220 does NOT come with back up camera.

Hope that helps - I'm still VERY happy with it. Took it out cruising a little on Saturday and it really is slick.
The Following User Says Thank You to 69MyWay For This Useful Post:
BBPanel (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnova View Post
Tim, I'm interested in more info on yours as well if you don't mind.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:24 AM
Supporting Member

I'm pretty ticked off at myself - when shuffling the subwoofer around in the right rear corner of the quarter - I push it against the quarter putting two outward dents! It may have slightly broke the paint. I'm going to look up a PDR guy and see if he can massage that out.

Anyway - outside of that I noticed the head unit wasn't putting out enough power to push the front speakers with decent volume - so since I started down the BOSS radio path, I found a Boss RIOT amp (1000 watt) to finish this thing off.

It was about $100. Hard to believe how the price on this stuff has fallen relative to everything else. When I was a kid - a 1,000 watt amp would cost an arm and a leg - even for a knock off brand. Plus..the THD and more of even the high dollar ones weren't as good as a cheap on today.

So...I yanked the car apart and ran it all. Had to upside the speaker wires to the doors and more.

Made a youtube video about it - mostly because my friends thought it was funny that a 50 year old man is hooking up an amp in his car...like I did when I was a kid...OFTEN!

Guys...it is soooo much harder to climb in and out of a trunk now. Not kidding you - two Tylenol later and my back is still sore! But my ears are happy. And the now 17 (just turned) year old in my house...Really appreciates the ability to FEEL the music as well as hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRdVrPvmfI