User Name
Password

Old 05-06-2017, 09:20 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Greg,

How did you mount the unit? At 600# of pulling force, it would need a fairly significant mounting point I would expect...
If you have to ask - don't start the project.....

I mounted one on a 69 Camaro using the inside of the rocker area and floor - but I built a bracket that was done with blindside fastener to remove it if it needed service (which - since we had one of the every earliest versions -- it did!).... Mounting in that position kept it away from header heat...

Other one was on my 33 coupe.... and It had a tube chassis.... again - a flat plate was used to mount it (for shear) on the tubes forming the tranny tunnel.

EVERY car is different - nobody can create or build a mount, because there are so many variables. Ya just have to figure it out.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:04 PM

I was contemplating whether I could attach it to my subframe connector somehow, as that is certainly solidly mounted. If I tried to go on the inside of it, I expect it would be too tall. I wouldn't want it hanging below the SFC itself.

I'd like to get rid of the parking brake pedal. It's really annoying during long drives.

I'd be curious to hear how anyone else has mounted one of these as well...

Thanx Greg.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:53 AM

I'm not going to have a back seat so I'm thinking of mounting it on top of the trans tunnel, basically facing (pulling) toward the front of the car and then having the cables do the 180 and poke out right at the wheel well. I'll hide it under the backseat delete structure, all happening behind the seats. I've measured it and it will fit....tight but it will fit. Sorry for the crude pic.
Attached Images

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
Old 05-07-2017, 02:32 PM

I can't remember the thread, but someone had theirs mounted on the shelf behind the rear seat pulling laterally in the car. Seemed like a nice out of the elements, out of the way location.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtotheIKEo View Post
I can't remember the thread, but someone had theirs mounted on the shelf behind the rear seat pulling laterally in the car. Seemed like a nice out of the elements, out of the way location.
That is where I installed the one in my wife's convertible. It couldn't go on the floor pan due to all the braces that convertibles have.

Don
Old 05-08-2017, 03:56 PM

I think that reference was of me, mounting it in the trunk under the package tray. See attached picture. For my situation this made the most sense. Dry, out of the way in what is normally dead space anyway.

I am still in the assembly stage of my car so I haven't been able to try out the functionality of it, but I am hopeful.

I hope this helps someone decide a mount point. Under the car was not an option.

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn
Old 05-08-2017, 10:17 PM

Thanks Glenn! Great intel, I like where you mounted it. Not being critical here but I was surprised the EStopp guys didn't have more pics/ideas/direction on install options....maybe just because the install is easier than I'm making it out to be! Where did you poke out the drivers side cable?

I've not run this past the Baer guys yet in order to understand what pulling force their ebrake is looking for -- I will serve up whatever I find.

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
Old 05-09-2017, 07:43 AM

Different and aesthetically unrefined.

The outer housing from the E stopp is threaded directly into the block on the right as is the inner cable from the right side park brake.

The inner cable from the E stopp is threaded directly to the block on the left side as is the inner cable from left side park brake. The blocks look like this, I think I had to retap the blocks to match the threads on the Estopp cable and housing.

The outer housings that route to the park brake are mount to a piece of 1" box tubing with a tab on each end. All of the load is contained within that bracket and there is no load at all on the mounts of either the Estopp or the bracket holding the cables.

Why do it this way? When the Estopp is engaged, it tries to pull the inner cable into the outer housing.....pulling the left and right park brake cables closer together. Because it floats, it self equalizes, ensuring that the pulling force is equal between both sides.

Support your local hot rod shop!
The Following User Says Thank You to dontlifttoshift For This Useful Post:
68454RS (08-03-2020)
Old 05-09-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
Different and aesthetically unrefined.

The outer housing from the E stopp is threaded directly into the block on the right as is the inner cable from the right side park brake.

The inner cable from the E stopp is threaded directly to the block on the left side as is the inner cable from left side park brake. The blocks look like this, I think I had to retap the blocks to match the threads on the Estopp cable and housing.

The outer housings that route to the park brake are mount to a piece of 1" box tubing with a tab on each end. All of the load is contained within that bracket and there is no load at all on the mounts of either the Estopp or the bracket holding the cables.

Why do it this way? When the Estopp is engaged, it tries to pull the inner cable into the outer housing.....pulling the left and right park brake cables closer together. Because it floats, it self equalizes, ensuring that the pulling force is equal between both sides.

I like the looks of the way you mounted it. I have to admit, I am a little confused as to how they each pull. One goes one way, while the other goes the opposite. So how is the E Stopp cable pulling in two directions? Maybe its obvious, but as tired as I am I'm stumped. Lol.....

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn
Old 05-09-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosesdad View Post
Thanks Glenn! Great intel, I like where you mounted it. Not being critical here but I was surprised the EStopp guys didn't have more pics/ideas/direction on install options....maybe just because the install is easier than I'm making it out to be! Where did you poke out the drivers side cable?
Both cables poke through right next to their respective inner wheel house little forward of center.

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn