Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 12-24-2017, 10:05 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
I guess what I’m asking about is long range moving or multiple distance targets to make it interesting.
Ah! Gotcha!

Trust me --- hitting a 24" X 24" piece of hanging steel at 1000 yards and beyond is NOT easy.... and when I get bored (after getting on target with windage etc) I start to just go for the "lower left corner" or doing what I posted in that one video - where I have to switch targets - moving the gun etc... A couple months back I was banging a silhouette and going for just the head... I was a 900 yards --- then I worked my way up the head area until I saw the splat just directly behind the target off the top of the head. Stuff like that -- just to improve your skills and see if you can, in fact, do what you think you can.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:52 AM

I have a couple of friends that are really into the pistol classes (might be what you are talking about above) where they spend all day doing active shooter type stuff, in and out of structures, obstacles etc. They say when they take breaks while debriefing mostly they are putting callouses on their fingers stuffing rounds back into clips...

Greg, when you go to the range...how many rounds do you typically fire in a session? Like do you just spend an hour or so and maybe 30-50 rounds or are you out for a day with multiple boxes of rounds fired?
Old 12-25-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
I have a couple of friends that are really into the pistol classes (might be what you are talking about above) where they spend all day doing active shooter type stuff, in and out of structures, obstacles etc. They say when they take breaks while debriefing mostly they are putting callouses on their fingers stuffing rounds back into clips...

Greg, when you go to the range...how many rounds do you typically fire in a session? Like do you just spend an hour or so and maybe 30-50 rounds or are you out for a day with multiple boxes of rounds fired?

Great question.....

Like many things we do - "seat time counts". And taking classes....

I'll shoot a 1000 rounds PER WEEK..... in the nicer months.... and probably down to 50 rounds a session (twice a week) in the winter when it's 20*'s or teens. Just too cold sitting there with only your trigger finger being active!!

I went thru 6000 rounds of 9MM this summer.... it's cheap to shoot ($225 per 1000 delivered to my door)..... and will go thru 2000 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor - 1000 + rounds of .45 ACP.... and 400/500 rounds of the .22-250 when I'm active.

I use the 9mm for the IDPA matches - and have three pistols - two HK VP9's (one is a tactical model) and a Wilson EDC X9 carry. So I practice A LOT with those (thus the 9mm burn rate) - drawing from a concealed carry and two on torso. I'm going for accuracy and speed - with repetitive practice. I want to be under 2 seconds for completion and a closed fist group. I have my own timer -- so just repeat and repeat and repeat.....

Guess I should have answered the direct question --- "it depends" --- I'll take more ammo than I shoot --- because sometimes I think I'll go down for an hour or so - and end up with a couple buddies showing up - and I'll get home in time to make dinner..... many times I sit on the spotting scope for others -- or some newbs show up - and you help them.... but I plan to shoot 500 ish rounds any given range day. A lot of times ------- I let others shoot my ammo and my guns ----- because it's fun to get them on to 500 yards + --- something they've never done before.

Last edited by GregWeld; 12-25-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:13 AM

Thanks Greg, that is cool. Sounds just like car racing where it's almost as much fun helping others get better too...
Old 12-25-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Thanks Greg, that is cool. Sounds just like car racing where it's almost as much fun helping others get better too...

I like that part as much as shooting the stuff myself.....

I have some stuff that other people would never be able to see, let alone shoot --- I enjoy sharing.... Someone that's never shot a Wilson handgun -- or a long range bench rest type rifle.... (heavy compared to their hunting rifle etc).... it's really fun.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:46 PM

Love this thread! I don’t get to shoot at distances like your doing Greg, with a long gun. Around here, if I can get on a target of 300 yards, that’s pretty good for the north ga. mountains. I do a lot of active shooter scenarios, with a security team that I’m a part of. We shoot together bi-monthly, but I practice at home with my son a lot. I shoot Kimber, because like all things, quality matters. We buy ammo in bulk, and shoot a lot. Practice makes perfect, just like laps in a car!
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 12-25-2017, 01:47 PM

Great info Greg. My buddy Mark's dad was a top marksman here in the east bay/trivalley. He now has the LR' rifles at his house.

Question, does "MOA" stand for motion of angle?
Old 12-25-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Love this thread! I don’t get to shoot at distances like your doing Greg, with a long gun. Around here, if I can get on a target of 300 yards, that’s pretty good for the north ga. mountains. I do a lot of active shooter scenarios, with a security team that I’m a part of. We shoot together bi-monthly, but I practice at home with my son a lot. I shoot Kimber, because like all things, quality matters. We buy ammo in bulk, and shoot a lot. Practice makes perfect, just like laps in a car!
My first 1911 was a Kimber Super Carry Custom !! Loved that gun and shot the barrel out of it! LOL

Then I bought a Wilson..... OH MY.....

I also have a Kimber Model 84 -- .22-250

YES!!!! SEAT TIME!!! And instruction - goes a LONG LONG way to making you a more accurate shooter....the speed comes with drills... and lots of 'em. Then toss in some competition on the clock stuff ---- oh yeah ---- you think you've got it all down. BEEEEEEEEEP

LOL
Old 12-27-2017, 07:40 AM

I've been shopping -- reading -- shopping.... emailed several of the top custom builders.... trying to decide my next LR lead delivery system. A couple things that were important to me was heavy palma style barrel.... great trigger.... long barrel for the specific round (6.5 Creedmoor) etc. My mind whirls --- another bolt gun with custom wild colors.... or a semi-auto?

We have a high end shop here in town - and I really like the guys that work there. So yesterday I walk in and a gun that I've been "looking at" for the last 6 months (meaning I've handled it several times....rubbing my chin) is ON SALE.

NEMO ARMS XO - 6.5 Creedmoor - Geisselle SD-E trigger - Bartlein heavy barrel - and the magic switch (Suppressed / Unsuppressed). Yeah I brought it home. Mounted the NightForce B.E.A.S.T. that was on the bench....

It also happens to match the Really Right Stuff (RSS) Carbon fiber tripod Alex got me for Xmas..... OH!!! Don't worry!!! I don't have any neighbors!!! The magazine is unloaded...

https://lateral-g.net/forums/attachme...1&d=1514381953
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
rstone (10-13-2019)
Old 12-27-2017, 07:49 AM

For the "anti" gun guys -------- I have no neighbors ----- so the pic with the new Nemo on the tripod won't be freaking anyone out......

https://lateral-g.net/forums/attachme...1&d=1514382534
Attached Images