Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-15-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Uh, we need more information and pictures on the yellow dodge that looks like it's setup to be a desert runner, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTSFabbed View Post
What he said...

So did the truck move to a nice farm upstate or is it still around?
Loved the truck and I'll sure this will be just as sweet.
Oh man, I am realizing that I really have issues with cars. I love projects. A friend of mine built this thing for a "customer" of his who owned some strip clubs. It was built for mud bogging thus the 37" boggers on it. He went to ummmm well he went away for a few years and the truck just sat, for like 8 years outside. A good friend of mine bought it and cleaned it up a lot, but kind of lost interest in it because he could not get it to run at all, it started and ran really rough when we picked it up. It drove off of the trailer at my house and that was it, would not restart or run. So I did the usual, drained the fuel out of it, pulled the injectors and checked the spray pattern on them, verified they all ran like they should and put it back together. 16 new spark plugs and same problem. Hemi buddy of mine told me to pull all the coil packs and clean the connections under the springs....sure as **** fired right up. I ended up having to re tune the truck as the previous tune was horrible.

So its rowdy. 700HP 426 HEMI crate engine in it, ATLAS Transfer case, 1410 drivelines, Kingpin DANA 60 up front, King Coilovers, Thuren track bar, all DOM steering with PSC Hydro assist, AAM 11.5 in the rear, 40" Cooper STT PRO tires on Method Beadlocks, Fiberglass Fenders and bedsides.

I have a bunch of work into it redoing some of the older stuff but a lot of cleaning and working out all of the little bugs. Its been fun, drives shockingly well for 40's and only has about an inch of suspension lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMillwheels View Post
Nice to see more pics of your build Hackster. I’m having more fun watching you than working on my own garbage. This rig is goin to be amazing, as usual..
Thanks man, Your stuff is far from garbage, you fit in better on this page than I do =)

Sean
The Following User Says Thank You to hackster For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 12:40 PM

That truck looks like a good ole time!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 05-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post
Oh man, I am realizing that I really have issues with cars. I love projects.
Ha !!!

I love your issues and wish you lived close as I want to go for a RIDE !!!!

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 05-17-2018, 07:24 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

That thing's awesome, lol! Thanks for indulging me.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 05-24-2018, 09:17 AM

Well, it took a fair bit to get it all put together to this point. I didnt realize that the VVT really needed to go in order to be reliable with the manual so I had to tear things apart again....

New stock oil pump going on.

Some home built tools to get this turd back together.

New cover, timing gear set and chain, factory gaskets and she is back in one piece now.

Turning back to the car, little bodywork and paint on the booster. This is supposed to be great paint, catalyzed with a 50% flattener in it. It dried a little less gloss than this but still a little too shiny.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:26 AM

I pulled the firewall panels out and sent them in for powedrcoat and they came back really nice, they are 20% gloss and were blasted and coated with some other brackets I have.

So I got those installed with all new hardware and got the booster in. Looks nice and clean. I am shooting for a clean and tidy engine bay on this thing, but not over the top custom shaved and tucked everything. This thing needs to be easy to get to stuff and work on.

Wilwood proportioning valve installed on OEM Volvo lines, 94 mustang GT master cylinder and lots of cleaning on those lines.

I did a little bit of cleaning on the crossmember, steering rack and brake lines on the chassis. I installed the new pressure hose from the rack to the power steering pump as its a bear to get to in the car once everthing is installed.

Trans came back from the rebuilder so I got that mated up to the engine and did the first test fit.......I knew that the trans tunnel would need some work.

That catches us up to current. I am waiting for some parts to show up....should be here this week. Plan is to pull out, clearance tunnel, install shifter, clutch and pressure plate, remote bleeder and hydro hose and stuff the old girl in for good this weekend.

I miss the days when I had time during the week to go home and get hours of work done. Now its just the weekends so progress is slow at best.

Sean
Old 05-24-2018, 10:10 AM

So neat and tidy in there, looks like it fits like a glove.

Do you have any pics of the other side of the engine, showing room around the brake booster and MC?

I take it that is the stock Volvo steering rack? What are the plans for the front suspension and geometry?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
So neat and tidy in there, looks like it fits like a glove.

Do you have any pics of the other side of the engine, showing room around the brake booster and MC?

I take it that is the stock Volvo steering rack? What are the plans for the front suspension and geometry?
Ill snap a pic tonight around the booster, there is tons of room there though. Steering shaft will be snug to the manifolds but should be no issue there. I can get to everything in the car no problem.

Stock Volvo rack yes, they are a ZF Rack and work really well.

Front suspension is pretty dialed in.

JRZ Shortened and machined double adjustable coilovers for the front. They machine the spindle and build an entire new tube and weld to the spindle for the coilover. Will be a 250lb tender spring over a 700 lb main spring to keep tension on the shock during droop.

Kaplenkhe machined adjustable upper strut mounts, roll correction spacers, upper strut tower bar with brake brace, 28 mm sway bar and machined adjustable sway bar end links.

Front hubs have been remachined to 5x114.3 bolt pattern and have long ARP studs in them. Front brakes are Factory 13" Volvo R brakes, they are a similar caliper to the late STI caliper and should be plenty of brake to stop the little car. They worked amazing on my last LS Swapped Volvo.

The lower control arms are going to remain stock for now but upgraded with all poly bushings and new lower ball joints. If I am unable to get the alignment where I need it with the big tires, I will build a longer or adjustable lower control arm.

Totally up in the air on rear suspension. Halfway thinking about doing IRS, but also want to get some seat time this summer.....may hit the track with the Solid axle and plan on that upgrade for next winter.

Sean
Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 PM

In its final resting place, transmission tunnel clearanced for the T56, ACT Clutch, pressure plate and flywheel installed, new hydraulic throwout bearing installed, clutch line hooked up to master cylinder.

Got it sorted out where it should be and got to work on a tranny crossmember. Used the factory camaro trans mount and adapted it to the factory Volvo crossmember.

Turned our pretty nice. I had the nephew down helping me out with the project so I cut him loose with the DA after welding. We shot some good paint on it, same Catalyzed 20% black stuff I shot on the booster. Looks pretty good though for shooting it outside.

Had a bunch of yardwork to do yesterday so didnt get much done.

Started mocking this up....haha. You can see it isnt close to clearing.

Messed around with a few ideas and this is what I came up with. I didnt like the idea of cutting out the tube all together, so I fashioned this little bridge out of some 1/8" plate and some 5/16" round bar. I know its not going to be nearly as strong as the tube that it replaced....

Here is why I am doing it this way.

Everyone said no way is that possible, never going to fit under the hood =)

Harness should be here this week so I can start messing with that. I need to figure out a radiator situation as the engine is not as far back as I had hoped for. So Radiator is going to have to move forward a little bit to fit the heat exhchanger for the intercooler and the dual fan setup.

Sean
Old 06-07-2018, 03:36 PM

With it in place I kept motoring on.

Buddy builds some killer parts, but they didnt quite fit with my application =)

Started on this whole lot of fun times.....

Bulkhead Connectors for all engine harness, AEM Wideband, Intercooler pump all factory senders and aftermarket senders run through these two connectors.

Also you can see the windshield wiper motor in these. Should be about all the wiring that is present on this side of the engine bay.

Under dash, like it was all meant to be there.