Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 12-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default making tail light lenses

Didn't know where to put this so if it's in the wrong place, please move it. Just tell me where you put it please.

I'm curious to know how people make tail lights for some of these custom cars. I have a great idea for tail lights on my 79TA but I have to be able to either mold/cast plastic or bend and polish plastic. So does anyone have some pointers or background info for me? Point me in a good direction if you want. I appreciate any feed back.

Thanks

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 12-26-2008, 08:15 PM

From what I know, most people make them out of colored lexan but that is if the surface is straight. Most lenses have little pyramids for better light dispersion and curves. That is the tough part. I'm sure it can be done but, also, they won't be DOT approved so you'll have to deal with that issue also.

John
Old 12-31-2008, 03:57 AM

Default Try google

Google: Custom tail light lens manufacturing
I sure you'll find someone that can help.
Jeff
Old 12-31-2008, 12:35 PM

Custom Rodder May 2006 has an article on making curved lenses, but I think you might be looking for flat lenses...

Mick
Old 03-11-2009, 01:48 PM

I wish we would of taken a few pix of the taillight lenses we made for a old 50's ford truck.

Anyways here is the jist of it. Red Plexiglass, Utility Fluorescent Troffer,super glue.

The Utility Fluorescent Troffer is the diamond cut plastic that is found on fleuresecnt lights in kitchens, etc... picked that up from lowes and the red plexiglass.

The Utility Fluorescent Troffer is smooth on one side and textured on the other. cut your plexiglass and the light cover to the pattern you want. Then glue the smooth side of the troffer to one side of the red plexiglass. Polish the edge, etc... if you wish.

Now you can shine a light thru the plastic and it will be red and the troffer's textured pattern will difuse the light some simulating a tail light.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bad4Ya View Post
I wish we would of taken a few pix of the taillight lenses we made for a old 50's ford truck.

Anyways here is the jist of it. Red Plexiglass, Utility Fluorescent Troffer,super glue.

The Utility Fluorescent Troffer is the diamond cut plastic that is found on fleuresecnt lights in kitchens, etc... picked that up from lowes and the red plexiglass.

The Utility Fluorescent Troffer is smooth on one side and textured on the other. cut your plexiglass and the light cover to the pattern you want. Then glue the smooth side of the troffer to one side of the red plexiglass. Polish the edge, etc... if you wish.

Now you can shine a light thru the plastic and it will be red and the troffer's textured pattern will difuse the light some simulating a tail light.
i just got my tails from fesler and that's exactly what was included with the lights. had to do a double take but hey, as long as it works......
Old 03-11-2009, 03:23 PM

Yeah that technique works well with flat lenses, I learnt it back in high school in shop class. Our teacher was a car guy and one project was working with plexiglass, because he was making custom lenses for a Trans Am.

He didnt use the diamond cut diffuser though. He routed out "Trans" in one lense and "Am" in the other (he jst used clear plexiglass for the routing), but explained that we could use the light diffuser from fleurescent lights to to duplicate a tail lense.

I guess you could get creative with a router and a clear piece and make your own patterns. Do <<<<<< & >>>>>> routing into the clear, or any combo you wanted.

Last edited by 2Bad4Ya; 03-11-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Just get some Red Plexi, Lexan or Polycarbonate. Make a mold of the shape you want put plastic into the oven for a minute until its soft and drape it onto the mold it will take its shape. If its a complex shape drill tiny holes all around the mold and put a vacuum behind it and suck the hot plastic to it.