Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 11-30-2011, 08:41 PM

This article shows how to convert an LS7 to wet sump using the stock LS7 crank: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...n/viewall.html
Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonayellaz View Post
Hi Kirk,

Welcome to the LS family

I dont know of a book that will have the information you need....as far as a forum looks like you have landed at the best ones so far

Im not sure where your at on budget for building this thing... But I will throw some stuff out there. I have a LS7 that spun the#1 rod bearing and have been trying to decide to stay dry or go wet. But my motor has only 4k miles and will not be getting any machine work. It was in complete long block form and is in excellent condition.

Im going to assume your intentions are staying with 427 cubes here...

Are you keeping the motor naturally aspirated? or running a turbo or super charger etc?

Ok...to run wet sump you will need to run a stroker crank with 4" stroke for a standard LS. Then you need to decide if you want to run 24x or 58x reluctor wheel. First one that pops into my head is the Callies cranks...compstar will be fine, and the next one would be the DragonSlayer. You can also go with a complete rotating assembly from callies,....this will get you crank, rods, pistons and rings, rod and main bearings. If you need rods and pistons..this would be the best choice. You will have a complete forged bottom end that will be good for whatever you throw at it.

Other options are taking a stock LS7 crank and having your machine shop cut the snout off to run wet sump. You can run stock rods and pistons. These can be found from time to time from guys who are upgrading there bottom ends. This will save you a little money.

Your going to want to go with a LS7 head or the equivalent in a aftermarket head. Mast heads are awesome! But again, I dont know your budget. The 799 is a cathedral port head...and a good one! its the exact same head as a 243 which is LS6 heads. But not what you want here.

Mast oil pan is a perfect fit for your car and comes with pick up tube,seal and new bolt kit.

Obviously wet sump oil pump will be needed, LS2,LS3 timing cover...the one you have may work if the cam sensor is in the right location.

There are some other misc things but this will get you started on the right path. I can give you my cell number if needed. Hope this helps
Thanks Travis I really appreciate the response. I've been looking at Callies for my stroker kit, The heads I think Im going stock and have ported for time being. I would love to go MMS heads. I'm at motor and tranny on my build now, So I have been checking out Corvette forum,LS1 tech trying to find heads and intake,Misc parts. I'll keep you posted on my success.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Hi Kirk,

Welcome to the LS family

I dont know of a book that will have the information you need....as far as a forum looks like you have landed at the best ones so far

Im not sure where your at on budget for building this thing... But I will throw some stuff out there. I have a LS7 that spun the#1 rod bearing and have been trying to decide to stay dry or go wet. But my motor has only 4k miles and will not be getting any machine work. It was in complete long block form and is in excellent condition.

Im going to assume your intentions are staying with 427 cubes here...

Are you keeping the motor naturally aspirated? or running a turbo or super charger etc?

Ok...to run wet sump you will need to run a stroker crank with 4" stroke for a standard LS. Then you need to decide if you want to run 24x or 58x reluctor wheel. First one that pops into my head is the Callies cranks...compstar will be fine, and the next one would be the DragonSlayer. You can also go with a complete rotating assembly from callies,....this will get you crank, rods, pistons and rings, rod and main bearings. If you need rods and pistons..this would be the best choice. You will have a complete forged bottom end that will be good for whatever you throw at it.

Other options are taking a stock LS7 crank and having your machine shop cut the snout off to run wet sump. You can run stock rods and pistons. These can be found from time to time from guys who are upgrading there bottom ends. This will save you a little money.

Your going to want to go with a LS7 head or the equivalent in a aftermarket head. Mast heads are awesome! But again, I dont know your budget. The 799 is a cathedral port head...and a good one! its the exact same head as a 243 which is LS6 heads. But not what you want here.

Mast oil pan is a perfect fit for your car and comes with pick up tube,seal and new bolt kit.

Obviously wet sump oil pump will be needed, LS2,LS3 timing cover...the one you have may work if the cam sensor is in the right location.

There are some other misc things but this will get you started on the right path. I can give you my cell number if needed. Hope this helps
Thanks Travis I really appreciate the response. I've been looking at Callies for my stroker kit, The heads I think Im going stock and have ported for time being. I would love to go MMS heads. I'm at motor and tranny on my build now, So I have been checking out Corvette forum,LS1 tech trying to find heads and intake,Misc parts. I'll keep you posted on my success.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
This article shows how to convert an LS7 to wet sump using the stock LS7 crank: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...n/viewall.html
David Thanks for the article.

Kirk
Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangevert View Post
My pleasure Kirk

When you say stock heads....your referring to stock LS7 heads?

I may be selling my LS7 heads...they only have 4k miles and are perfect! I also have a complete LS7 intake manifold with fuel rails and injectors, bolts and gaskets I might sell also. And that throttle body might also be available..Just throwing that out there.

Also dont forget before this motor is assembled to drill the bossed area where you will need to install your dipstick tube. Its easy to do, but needs to be done before the motor is assembled. The LS7 dipstick was in the dry sump tank and the block was never drilled for it.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
My pleasure Kirk

When you say stock heads....your referring to stock LS7 heads?

I may be selling my LS7 heads...they only have 4k miles and are perfect! I also have a complete LS7 intake manifold with fuel rails and injectors, bolts and gaskets I might sell also. And that throttle body might also be available..Just throwing that out there.

Also dont forget before this motor is assembled to drill the bossed area where you will need to install your dipstick tube. Its easy to do, but needs to be done before the motor is assembled. The LS7 dipstick was in the dry sump tank and the block was never drilled for it.
Thanks Travis, PM sent
Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 AM

That will be a nice motor when complete
Old 12-08-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post

I have one of these "Scoggin-Dickey LS7 wet-sump crank spacer"s available if you need one.

G

Last edited by Gandalf; 04-20-2012 at 11:26 AM.