Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 AM

Default 1:24th GTO

alright, i've done some models before but until coming here and AF.com I was totally in the dark really. So I'm trying my hand at this all over again.

here's some initial body work. i didn't want to fill the body line infront of the front wheels but the bumper just didn't line up well so it's smooth now.

the interior. nothing to brag about. bad hand painting. my main goal was the body on this since it's my first ... i'm thinking i'm not ready and don't have the patience to do all that crazy detail that others do.

almost final body work with some primer. had to get rid of the license plate thing on the front, got rid of the turn sigs too.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:31 AM

Default more

i don't know if this is tricky or not but i wanted to use the stock suspension but to hide the pins i made to mount the wheels and get the stance right. seemed cool to me. there won't be an engine for the same reason the interior is lame. I corrected the tire directionality btw ... in case you noticed.

her i test fitted everything. not as much rake as i had planned but the stance is good. with this low angle you get more of an impression that the front and back are about the same height at the wheel well lip. once glued the rear should be ever so slightly higher than the front. Pegasus wheels, which i'm new to also .... they're a lot cooler than i expected but these aren't nearly as cool looking as the other set i ordered. I don't like the offset on these. the cooler ones will go on a different car when i know more what i'm doing. the GTO will be black btw.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:46 AM

Default nice typing

spell check much? i wanted to add, the hood had a hole hacked in it because this kit is a "street machine" ... yeah filling that was a kick in the face. but you can kinda see in the first pic what's going on there. i also lost my mind and opened the hood scoops. it wasn't as hard as i expected really. i also shaved the drip rails and locks.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:46 PM

Change the interior color to red and you can make a model copy of my GTO.

R.P.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2007, 10:02 AM

Default 68?

well i coooould or I could be lucky just to get the effin paint right. I painted it last night and was a little worried. I put the clear on slightly too heavy and aborted the job ... now i gotta wait 7 days to do a little sanding, nothing major and put on at least 2 more coats. My wheels are even similar to yours.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:24 PM

I'm a model builder from way back. I still own about 3-4 1969 GTO Judge model cars in which I have yet to open the box.

All it takes to build a model car is patience. Its like a real pro-touring vehicle except a lot smaller.

This Artwork Section is one of my favorite threads. I may not post much, however, I'm always checking it out.

R.P.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:55 PM

what kind of paint did you use?

Artwork Page
Old 07-25-2007, 04:20 PM

Default duplicolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by black2002ls
what kind of paint did you use?
i tried testors first just because i had a can of pearl black sitting around and i thought it might be cool. i'm sort of the mind set most of the time, with people as well, that if it doesn't meet my expectations the first, maaaaybe the second time, i'm done using it. the primer stayed tacky longer than i thought it should so i got rid of it. it's let me down before so i think screw that. I've used Duplicolor a lot and i at least know that what it says it will do on the can HAPPENS, every time. I see it used a lot in magazines and i saw a couple peeps using it on models. so i went and got me some primer, color and clear. the humidity is through the roof here ... like always in the summer. the clear got foggy (i've not used the clear before) ... milky like. i put on two coats, thought the humidity was killing me and quit. well the milky effect cleared up in a couple hours. but it says 7 days to cure. you think i can sand sooner?

it's got pretty heavy orange peal and i'm seeing that what i THOUGHT was a lot of body prep wasn't enough. but it's not bad for my first go and i can see that my efforts show promise. i want to finish the clear and try polishing. the clear also flattened out a LOT more than i thought it would. i still got it too heavy and it collected in the corners, but like i said ... first time.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Poirier
I'm a model builder from way back. I still own about 3-4 1969 GTO Judge model cars in which I have yet to open the box.

All it takes to build a model car is patience. Its like a real pro-touring vehicle except a lot smaller.

This Artwork Section is one of my favorite threads. I may not post much, however, I'm always checking it out.

R.P.
really, it was the 68/69 GTO that i consider my first "favorite" muscle car ya know? you pick THE one, i guess. cars just look plain sexy in black, but the GTO just has the body for black ... your car is sexy sexy. I dunno if it is that they are a little larger or what. anyway, not only smaller, but cheaper. i think a lot of it is my dexterity and functionality of the car too ... that define the word patience. i'm probably not going to scratch build tubular and coil over suspension because i just don't see the point (i think this is personal interest too of course) the car isn't going to do anything but sit on my shelf. and my fingers just won't DO work that small sometimes. those two things are really limiting my patience currently. by the time i get done working on a real car (or two, cause the Mustang is being ignorant right now too) ... try to keep up with my drawing and website ... and build other websites blah blah blah. building a model comes in low on the agenda. still, i'm trying. i'll post some pics of the paint pretty soon.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 PM

are you using the lacquers or the acrylic enamels?

Artwork Page