Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 08-20-2007, 07:33 AM

This is a great topic, especially since I would like to get started doing this (just not sure if I'm good enough). Between my model building, which has helped me be creative in 3-D, and doing renderings for an architect, I would love to combine my skills with my passion. I have done a few, and like ZVT havent charged anyone yet. I would imagine I would charge per hour, since some have been really quick and others take a while.

I would be very interested in the legal end. Doing fabrication drawings in my full time job, I know some about disclaimers and notices. I don't think I would have a problem with giving people what ever, as long as it's paid for. I am friends with Eric Brockmeyer, and I have never thought to ask him about this part. I'll see what he does.

Thanks again for starting this, and hope it keeps going.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:19 AM

Found this site pretty usefull.

http://www.rightsforartists.com/definitions.html

[SIGPIC]https://lateral-g.net/forums/image.php4?type=sigpic&userid=4368&dateline=121287 1168[/SIGPIC]
RENDERING GALLERY!!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:22 AM

we need a few of the more full time guys to get in on this to keep it alive i think ... but i hope this talk encourages people to keep drawing and posting and get feedback rolling around - all of those more and more.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:28 PM

I just heard back from Eric, and he sees any further use of his drawings as more exposure unless they are going to use it for tee shirts or something where they would be making money. I guess he could go after TLC and Boyd, but thanks to them, a lot more people has seen his work.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomaka
I just heard back from Eric, and he sees any further use of his drawings as more exposure unless they are going to use it for tee shirts or something where they would be making money. I guess he could go after TLC and Boyd, but thanks to them, a lot more people has seen his work.
that's true especially if you're talking about your stuff being on TV. when the losers show up and start using it for everything under the sun without ever telling you that they planned to - that's when it's a problem. course, they aren't very hard to spot when they first show up.
What are some of people's experiences with t-shirts? Does anyone actually get the printing done or do the printing themselves? Or mostly just do the art and call it done? The latter would be ideal i would think but I know there is a local guy here who offers the whole nine from start to finish .... how he does it I'm not sure.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:40 PM
Lateral-G Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomaka
He has no recourse with Boyd or TLC because Boyd comissions and pays for the work and TLC simply broadcasts them using it. And like he said, most exposure is good exposure and TLC and Boyd have been good to Eric.

In my experience, Most people are decent and honest so I simply get a down payment from first time clients to be sure they're serious before I dive into their project only to find they're broke or aren't really serious.

I don't do a contract in advance, I treat their down payment as their contract and when they pay for their artwork they commissioned, it becomes theirs and they can pretty much do whatever they want to with it. If it winds up getting stolen from a website or the like, then you and your client have rights but I wouldn't get too worked up unless it makes it onto t-shirts in Wal-Mart or a one-off wheel you designed winds up in someone's catalog.

If something truly needs copyrighted or trademarked, try www.legalzoom.com

As anyone who has worked with the public or in retail, you know there's some people who just can't be made happy and will always find something to complain about so try to avoid them or recognize them early on.

My best advice is there is no substitute for experience whatever it may be and cover your a$$ but don't get too worked up about copyright infringement or you'll protect yourself right out of a good reputation.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:05 AM

So then do most of you charge more for something that you already know is going to be used for other things than if you were just designing a build for some guy? Or is it just a case of this is how much my artwork costs and after that I'm done with it?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 AM

I only charge for the work I did. Beyond that, credit for the work is just fine with me. Like Jason and Eric said, it's free advertising. Logos are pretty much the only art I don't apply my signature to.

The design firm I work for doesn't get a cut on every single product we've designed for a client that is sold. We provide a service that was paid for by the client.

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Lateral-G Supporting Vendor

Yep, if some shop is going to build the car and use the image on their business cards and a few dozen t-shirts, have at it because it just means that many more people seeing the art.

Don't ever get taken advantage of but don't irritate clients trying to worry about getting taken advantage of before it ever happens.

As you build up your clientele, you'll also build experience that will help you determine how to handle such situations in the future.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:28 PM

A lot of good points here...
I've been relying on my artwork to put food on the table for some time now, and thus, if it's stolken, and I'm not getting paid, it takes food out of my kids' mouths.... On the flip-side, though, if I spent all day chasing my art, I'd never get anything done.

My best advice is to take the time to Copyright any work you have created as self-promotional, or with the intent to sell. It's inexpensive, and gives you full legal recourse when someone uses it without your permission.
As for creating art for clients, I view the art I have created for them as a product that they have purchased, and provide them with a contract, expressly granting them any rights they may neeed for future use of the artwork. This way, if I'm hit by a bus, whateveer, they have all rights in their possession, and there's no question. I like to see all sides protected.

As for down-payments, I agree with Jason: GET ONE. This way, everyone is serious, and there's no questions about what is owed upon delivery, and everyone is into the project on the same level. You're not wasting time on a project that is someone's momentary whim... and there's nothing worse than winding up with a half-finished rendering you can't do anything with.

Beware of trading work for empty promises... Granted, you'll have to start small and slow, but bear in mind that your work requires time, effort, and your talent... Make it worth your while, but at the same time, promote, promote, promote! A few well-placed pieces can bring in more work, so don't be afraid to trade some time and effort for exposure! Just be certain that all bases are covered.

Last... and you guys are doing it already: NETWORK. Talk with other artists, share ideas, get a feel for who is best at what, and learn whatever you can! I've refered clients to other artists at times, just knowing that, in our initial conversations, that someone else may be better for the job, due to style, influences, or a certain vision. I'd rather see a client paired with the right guy (or gal) for the job, than try to force something.

I, like Ben, sign almost all of my art, save for logos and identity... a credit line is a sure-fire way to more business. Just be discreet... after all, nobody is buying a 14x17 rendering for your 8-inch signature.