Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 08-15-2008, 11:57 PM

Default Single Turbo vs. TT

I'm in the planning phase of my next project & trying to decide between a large single turbo or a TT setup on a large CI LSX. Seems like most people are running the TT setup. Anyone have any experience with either? Motor is going in a 69 Camaro.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:21 PM

Default k

they both have advantages

single turbo only needs one head unit one oil feed line one return one waste gate etc easier fabrication easier to fit usualy

dual needs two of everything but is much more semetrical and usualy seems more impresive to the casual observer its realy just packaging

you an make the same power with both.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:07 AM

Thats what I figured! I'm more about simplicity & functionality when it comes to making power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarguy View Post
they both have advantages

single turbo only needs one head unit one oil feed line one return one waste gate etc easier fabrication easier to fit usualy

dual needs two of everything but is much more semetrical and usualy seems more impresive to the casual observer its realy just packaging

you an make the same power with both.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Supporting Vendor

Another thing to consider is expected power output versus how you want the power to come on. For up to 550-600 FWHP you can use a smaller single turbo and not have too bad of a boost lag. If you are looking at a higher HP setup, the larger single turbos will make good power but generally have to get up a bit in the RPM to build boost. If going to a twin setup, you can use smaller turbos and a lot quiker spool and better low end torque.

To give an example, I have had 575 RWHP single turbos that peak boost and torque hits at 4500-5000. A similar setup but with twins hits full boost and torque by 3000-3500, pretty much make 150-250 more foot pounds of torque with a properly packaged twin setp over a single in the 2500-3500 RPM area.

As mentioned a twin setp is about twice as many parts and therfore getting close to twice the cost. Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
Plainfield, IN 46168
407-616-2518
www.mikenorrismotorsports.com
[email protected]
Visit Our Facebook Page
Old 08-17-2008, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the info Mike. I'm aiming for 900-1000 RWHP on my next build. Sounds like I might be better off with a TT setup for streetability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Norris View Post
Another thing to consider is expected power output versus how you want the power to come on. For up to 550-600 FWHP you can use a smaller single turbo and not have too bad of a boost lag. If you are looking at a higher HP setup, the larger single turbos will make good power but generally have to get up a bit in the RPM to build boost. If going to a twin setup, you can use smaller turbos and a lot quiker spool and better low end torque.

To give an example, I have had 575 RWHP single turbos that peak boost and torque hits at 4500-5000. A similar setup but with twins hits full boost and torque by 3000-3500, pretty much make 150-250 more foot pounds of torque with a properly packaged twin setp over a single in the 2500-3500 RPM area.

As mentioned a twin setp is about twice as many parts and therfore getting close to twice the cost. Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
Old 08-17-2008, 03:39 PM

Default for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Norris View Post

Mike Norris
generalytrue if this is the case when talking about trying to match a off the shelf turbo to power level rpm range etc

but when you use a custom turbo and custom ar's matched to your engine its dam near dead even you just have to know waht your doing to match the exhaust and intake ar and the wheels corectly

my race car has a singel 114 mm turbo and spools as fast as anyone with a pair of twin 88s in the same class i run.

i have 3built many single t-76 347 cube setups that make full boost by 2600-2800 rpm with a t-76 turbo my personal street car made 960 rwtq at only 3300 rpm with a single t-76 and 833 rwhp.
you just need to pay much closer atention to things when doing a single.