Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 01-19-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Turbo Headers on Ebay... I got questions

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

What do you think? Would these work on 18 degree heads? or just 23 degree heads? Also what about running external wastegates? I guess i could plumb those in later... i am thinking about these for my 69 Camaro.

What about 1 3/4 primaries... too big? Will i get cracking? I was thinking that velocities would be higher in a smaller diameter primary, thus spooling up the turbo a bit quicker while providing better resistance to cracking...

Any thoughts?

Trev
Old 01-19-2005, 06:06 PM

I'd first verify that these will work on your car. I originally purchased a set of those headers for my '68 and I can tell you that there's NO WAY they'd fit on a Camaro. They looked pretty much like those, too. I waited months to get them and then they wouldn't even kinda fit my car. The guys at Stainless Works were nice enough to let me return them.

Make sure the design has changed A LOT. They may have made adjustments after more people like me returned them. But I can't imagine the old design fitting in any automobile. Maybe a boat.

I now have a set of Kook's headers. They convinced me that the 1 5/8 are better than 1 3/4 for the reasons you point out.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:26 AM

Hey why try did kooks custom fab up your exhaust headers or do they already have some made up??? I have a 68 also Im starting to do some serious research on twins for????? Do you have a site or something talking about your whole process or build up of your car???? looks sweet cant wait to see it this summer at some shows or tracks!!
Old 02-15-2005, 02:27 PM

Thanks Justin. I'm actually in your area. You'll see me out soon.

These are Kook's Stainless that CamcoJB helped me locate. As I understand, these are basically their universal type of header and the #1 and #2 tubes had to be modified to clear the control arms on 1st gens. I then built the "wastegate boxes" to locate the turbos. I'm a member on several local sites and covered the build-up with them. I'll compile some of the old stuff and put them on Lateral-g. Keep an eye out for that.

I can tell you that, with the plumbing like this, you wouldn't be able to use power steering, nor could you use any low-mounted accessories. The downpipes run right where all these things would be located. I just prefer the location over the Banks style manifolds. Running the downpipe over the top would make it hard to run a clutch, like I have. So each application has its own specific issues. I'll be happy to go through the stuff I had to decide on, or do some measuring for you if you need.

One lesson I've recently learned on this note: Since these were already made, I did not get to choose the head flanges. The 1 5/8 tubes and flanges don't match the considerably larger AFR D-ports. So I'm band-aid'ing it by blending the flanges into the shape left by the header gasket. But the ports in the heads are much larger than even the width of the primaries and will forever restrict the escaping exhaust gasses.