Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 AM

Great info Mike. We appreciate your expertise on this and sorry it it changed direction of your thread. I am about an hour ir so north of you and will be in touch with you on a cam change and tune.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Norris View Post
I m not a big fan of the "Hot Cam" either, but definitely more street-able then the ASA cam. Just remember that both the 480 and 525 engines come with stock beehive springs and will require a good upgrade there also if changing cams. The reason being that the ASA and Hot Cam both have lifts of only .525" and those heads can easily use .600" lift.

I would be tempted to just get a stock LS3 engine, but the cam swap would need more parts (change timing gear & bolts, damper), but could be less expensive in the end and make it more "your" engine and not a cookie cutter. And please do not judge a "good cam" or "awesome cam" on idle sound alone. It does not take a lot of cam to get that sound. and a lot has to do with tuning.

Hope that makes sense.

Mike Norris
We should probably move this discussion out of your thread and into mine so it doesn't muck up your original topic.

That said, I could give a rip about the level of "lope" in the idle. I care about the nature of the power delivery (more so than peak) and drive-ability. I get along with my neighbors and would like that to remain the case.

Last edited by Damn True; 02-05-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:27 PM

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
That will be interesting to see what your impressions are. I am starting to think personally when the time comes I will order a stock Ls3. For the difference in price I can do a cam/springs as well as trunion upgrade and pushrods. I am looking for something with a milder idle. Have been looking at the Katech Torquer cam.
I think katech actually offers a crate ls3 with there torquer cam already installed
Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 PM

Motor is a LS3 with a horrible camshaft. Too much overlap, for how little HP it actually produces. Much better cams can be used to acheive better driveability and more HP. 110 LSA is pretty tight for a L92 intake port, with that much overlap. Not saying tight LSA's dont work, but this cam is not a good match for the motor.

Your question "how is drivability" - It will have a low RPM surge that you probably will not be able to tune out. Should be fine from 2000 on up. If car is a manual, you can drive around it. But it would irritate me because it does not need to be this way with a different cam
Old 02-13-2014, 03:47 PM

I would buy the ls3/430 hp and change cam, instead of buying the 480 or 525 hp. Same engine and save some money. I think you can get the 430hp version for $6100-6300.