Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 PM

Default My Cuda Project Part II...now at Bruning Auto Design

Well it finally looks like my car is back on track, so I figured I would start a new update thread.

The car is now up at Bruning Auto Design, so hopefully I can put this bad experience behind me and move on...

For those of you that dont know already....my car was also at Race Rods at the same time Tony's car was there. We both got screwed pretty bad. For those of you that want to get the whole story, here you go....
https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...t=cuda+project
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=16185
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=16771

I got the car back in July 2008 and to put it lightly it wasnt good.... so I put out feelers for other shops and started to salvage what I could myself.

I started off by finnishing up the XV motorsports SFC's...overall decent pieces but they didnt fit that great...had to "massage" the floorboards to get a tight fit....

Old 11-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Given production line tolerances and nearly 40 years of use & abuse on the car, I'd say the profile of the SFC's to the floor is pretty darn good and would expect to have to do a little bit of massaging.

Sounds like the car is in good hands now!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 PM

Next was the XV motorsports front lower rad support brace..... rather than a thin piece of sheetmetal like stock, this is a full bent square tube....much beefier.... I dropped it down just alittle to allow for more radiator space too

Then it was on to the front and rear torque boxes....same thing....needed alot of tweaking to get them to fit nice and tight before welding. These are made by Auto Rust Tech and are not "factory correct" in style but are much thicker than original

Next on my list was cleaning up alot of the crappy work Chris left behind that I thought I could salvage. He did some real crappy lap welds in several areas, so I closed up the gaps and finnished those areas...

Here's a nice example of his work..

Last edited by DRJDVM's '69; 11-12-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM

And another.... look at that big frickin hole.....it was worse on the other side..so I had to make some small patches...nice work..

After closing up the gaps and finnishing the lap weld..

Then I had to finnish the trans tunnel...same thing...crappy lap welds with huge gaps...

Then I narrowed the rear seat alittle to clear the minitubs.... everything is just tacked together for now, until I'm sure how it will all fit...
Old 11-12-2008, 04:33 PM

More examples of stellar work.....
Chris fixed the driver side rocker but left a huge ass gap... nice...

Filled the firewall and warped the **** out of it in the process....

Inner fenderwells......the design I wanted but really bad execution...warped all to hell...

So then I moved on to some other stuff....
Steering column mock up... of course I had to take my $65 billet mount and cut it to fit the dash opening....its always fun to cut up brand new stuff

Vintage Air bulkhead mounted in the fenderwell so I can hide everything
Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM

The mock up 6.1 HEMI sitting in place.... very temporary.....still not sure what I'm doing on the motor... I think the turbo budget went out the window.....maybe procharger ...maybe Kenny Bell twin screw....or NA with a "Hilborn" style stacked injection kit...we'll see...

That pretty much sums up the big stuff.....

TJ, Tim and Gloria from Bruning were nice enough to come look at the car on the way to SEMA and then pick it up on the way back. That gave them a chance to look at the car first hand and give me a "status report" and estimate for work and then saved me time and $$ to haul it up to them. Its in good hands now...... I'm sure TJ will drop in and I'll keep the updates coming.

I also wanted to thank Mike from MuscleRodz and Mario (DOOM) for their offers...
Old 11-12-2008, 05:01 PM

Some of the links are acting wierd..
here are the front torque boxes and rad cross brace..

Old 01-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Supporting Member

updates?

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1979 Firebird LS3,DSE,Baer
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 01-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Went by the shop this weekend and dropped off the Supercharger for mock-up. Car looks killer the rear spoiler looks awesome.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:40 PM

Long overdue for an update...

Once again, Tim has been doing spectacular work. I couldnt be happier. Both TJ and Tim have been great to work with on every level. After the quarter panel issue came to light, my enthusiasum for the car took a huge downturn and my concern with my budget became a big issue. At that point I was pretty freaked out that my dream and my budget were both going in the toilet. Needlsess to say, I wasnt exactly the easiest customer to deal with..... Despite being a PITA and getting anal about my $$, they were complete professionals and we worked things out. These guys have helped me out immensly and I will be eternally greatful. They are not only great craftsman, but great people.

I want to whole heartedly thank both Tim and TJ...... they have seen my dream car circle the drain and my emtions go up and down about this car. As a smaller shop, they dont have the luxury of dontaing much of their time to help guys like me. They cant just throw a couple of employees at a "feel sorry for you case" like me, and still be making $$ and paying bills with other projects at the same time. When they donate their time, they arent making any $$ for the shop at all. Despite that, they are doing the new quarter panel install for free, in order to help me keep my project going in the direction I dreamed of. I cant express my gratitude enough....... Thank you

I also want to thank Mike at Musclerodz again...once again he stepped up and helped out with getting me a new quarter panel. Thank you...

So....on with the update...

The innder fenders are all done and turned out awesome......

Ron Davis radiator all mounted up...Tim re-did the front rad support and moved the mounts outward so I could get a bigger radiator in there

Last edited by DRJDVM's '69; 03-16-2009 at 02:07 PM.