Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 05-17-2020, 11:54 AM

Default inflatable paint booth

I am considering purchasing an inflatable paint booth for use in my garage. There are several listed on Amazon. I was thinking of a 33' long unit that has a working room of 27.4' x 13.2' which should be adequate for painting my Camaro. Do any of you have experience using one of these? Any advice or suggestions?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:13 AM

I am surprised. 184 views and not one comment either negative or positive.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:01 PM

I think it would be ok for panel painting a few panels at a time but I wouldn't want to try an all-over in one. Not enough air flow imho...

Don
Old 05-28-2020, 04:33 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I'm considering one myself. Just as way to seal and prime parts as I bodywork them in a home shop. A little worried about what Don touched on... enough air flow.
The portability is what appeals to me...sure I could frame up some temporary walls and staple some plastic to them, but not very easy to take apart and store.

Jeff-
Old 05-28-2020, 07:18 PM

I've looked at a few of them online. Most appear to be mostly chinesium quality for 800-1500. It looks like some of the nicer ones are 3-10K. There's very few reviews online of these beyond one-time use in places that look like they have a dirt parking lot. I would like to hear from someone who has used it at least half a dozen times.

With the right blower/fan setup air flow should be fine *in theory*. I'll likely pick one up in a year or two when I'm ready and see how it works out.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:47 PM

I've kind of looked in to them and wasn't impressed. Just my opinion. What I ended up doing was working with a local body shop. They sprayed the epoxy primer. Then I did the body work over the primer then a couple runs with sanding primer. Had to shuttle parts back and forth but it worked well because I could work on one or two fenders at a time. My project was a 68 C10 so the cab was on a rolling dolly. The body shop charged me a bit for the primer but since they were spraying it any way it was very reasonable.
Final base and clear coat was done at the body shop in their booth. They did the color sanding and buff. They had little confidence in my color sanding skills.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:59 PM

I purchased an inflatable paint booth from Amazon. Mine is 23' x 16.4' external, 13.5' x 18.5' internal, the max size I could fit inside my garage. I worked with the seller in China to get additional straps, removeable floor, windows for hoses etc. I use 2 large shop vacuum hepa filters on each of the blowers, 1 to inflate the booth, 1 blows air into the booth. I would have never sprayed my car without it, saves a lot of mess. I bought 6 led strip lights that clip on the windows and at the front, on the garage door. I have never sprayed in a "real" spray booth so I cant compare, I am sure it is no comparison. It certainly is better than when I sprayed cars in my old garage. I bought some additional filters for the exhaust side of the booth and the "spray fog" is not bad. I had no problem rotating the car on the rotisserie, just need to rotate upside down to fit through the booth door. It took me over a year to spray my car, so many coats, epoxy primer, polyester primer, urethane primer, base, clear coat, satin clear coat, dash in white, ceramic sound deadening, bed liner etc + spraying everything separate, taking the car & parts to a local spray booth would have involved so many trips.

https://share.getcloudapp.com/yAub6Rn6

Last edited by bd8134; 08-18-2020 at 09:07 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bd8134 For This Useful Post:
dhutton (08-19-2020), Ketzer (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 09:30 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd8134 View Post
It took me over a year to spray my car, so many coats, epoxy primer, polyester primer, urethane primer, base, clear coat, satin clear coat, dash in white, ceramic sound deadening, bed liner etc + spraying everything separate, taking the car & parts to a local spray booth would have involved so many trips.
Do you leave the blower running all the time and keep it inflated, or just let it collapse and re-inflate as needed? Some have talked about PVC structure inside to hold it up when the blower isnt running.

Which brand do you have?

Jeff-
Old 08-19-2020, 07:20 PM

The booth when inflated takes up quite a bit of room in my garage. I have to open the center garage door to move major parts or the car in and out. It would not be practical in my case to leave it permanently inflated. It is very easy to just fold up a section of it so I can still use that space in the garage. The booth takes less than 5 mins to inflate, I then put down a plastic sheet which I dispose of when it gets too dirty and fold up before letting the booth down. I then move the parts in the booth which I want to spray and then switch on the the other blower which does the filtering.
This is the one I got, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
That is my review on there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bd8134 For This Useful Post:
Ketzer (08-20-2020), Perry Mitchell (08-21-2020)