Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-17-2023, 05:28 AM

Default front and Rear glass install?

Urethane vs butyl tape? I believe urethane is the best method but have also heard it can be very tricky to get it just right without a mess. butyl tape is kind of a do it yourself option but not really the correct method for a safe install. What are you guys doing with yours?
thanks
Old 01-17-2023, 06:44 AM

Urethane, but if you're running trim you need to make sure the height is right otherwise the trim will never look right / clip in.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:42 AM

I use urethane, but the method I use starts when I start body work. Probably would work on a painted car, but the trim fitment won't be as good.
From inside the car, I run in 4 sheetmetal screws at the corners of the window channel. I blunt the screw ends tip, and then set the glass on top of those. I Install the spacer blocks at that bottom until I get the glass centered where I want. I mark the position and height of the spacers. I install the trim, then turn each screw until I get the trim flush and at the level I want. When everything fits nice, I remove the glass and apply the urethane. I set the glass in and push it down lightly until I feel it contact the blunt screw. Don't tap it down, just lightly push. When it's almost set, I remove the screws from the inside and finger dap urethane in the screw holes.
I use this method to ensure a tight, even fit of the trim to body and trim to glass, and I know my trim will snap in without chipping paint!

Using butyl tape, you'll still need to mock it up (can tape spacers to glass same thickness as tape) to see which thickness tape you need.

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CJD Automotive For This Useful Post:
camcojb (01-20-2023), cpd004 (01-18-2023), Goosesdad (01-17-2023), Hotwire (01-19-2023), jarhead (01-28-2023), paulk68 (01-18-2023), zz430droptop67rs (01-17-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 10:24 AM

Always use urethane, Butyl breaks down too easily. Use rubber setting blocks if you want to play with height, rule of thumb is metal never touches glass even for fitting. There are foam dam tapes that can help with controlling the inside edge of the urethane. I have installed alot of glass without the foam dam but did use it on a Camaro awhile back since I was setting it alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to TechNova For This Useful Post:
camcojb (01-20-2023)