Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-30-2020, 10:45 AM

Default Where to "chrome" plastic parts ?

I have an ABS plastic grille I'd like to get "chromed". It turns out you can actually chrome plate plastic but I was rough quoted $1500 to do it. This is just for my daily driver hot rod Chrysler 300, so that's definitely not in the budget. All the OEM and aftermarket grilles you see are I believe Vacuum Metallized. But despite my excellent internet skills I'm having a hard time tracking down anywhere that does this on a piece by piece level. In fact this particular piece originally came in a chrome version but its not produced anymore and I can only find a raw/primed version.

I've looked at chrome wraps and the so-called chrome paints and I just don't think they would cut the mustard for this highly visible piece. Given the fact that aftermarket parts with reasonable prices are "chrome" and the sheer quantity of OEM pieces, it can't be that rare or difficult of a procedure.

Any suggestions for some places I could talk to about this ?
Old 10-30-2020, 11:22 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

No suggestions beyond what you have already explored...I did just see a post recently from www.advancedplating.com about plating plastic but I can assure you they are pricey because they are a top shop.

Jeff-
Old 10-30-2020, 11:50 AM

Yeah just to be clear I'm not trying to chrome plate it, too expensive. Heck even if it was a perfect steel part chroming would be too expensive.

Trying to get it vacuum metallized like an OEM grille.

Check this out, see the chrome strips around the lower valence and grill openings ? I hand made those out of aluminum and had them chromed and it cost $450 with tax for 4 little strips of aluminum. Not to mention took 7 weeks.

I always wanted to chrome that fiberglass bumper too but it looks okay in silver paint.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2020, 04:48 AM

Preston.....production plastic parts are copper, nickel, chrome just like old school bumpers and grills. But not as heavily coated.
ABS is the only plastic that accepts plating tough enough to survive OEM impact and exposure standards. The "B" in ABS is butylene (a form of rubber) which is acid etched to create microscopic pores that the copper anchors into. Nickel sticks to copper, but not plastic. Chrome brightens nickel. The silver reflective surface that you're looking at is actually the nickel, chrome is a thin clear layer over the nickel that prevents tarnishing, otherwise in three months the nickel looks more like raw aluminum.

Platers are reluctant to accept jobbing work because production parts are jigged to expose them to the anodes in a particular array that avoids shading. Copper is less needy, but nickel shades easily. Chrome is more like a lacquer that is deposited in dissolved salts.
One dirty or oily job put thru a plant will ruin several hundreds of gallons of hot plating solution because the oil floats and coats every subsequent part going in. The heat, almost boiling, softens and dislodges oils and contaminants like coolant and wax.
Your grill prolly has stone chips that you will complain about in the finished result. On a bumper the copper is thick enough because it has to be machine polished, then even copper a second time if necessary .....can't do that on plastics. Your grill is also painted with two pack or urethane.......try stripping either of those clinical clean.....not possible.

Vacuum metalizing is PURE, DEAD SOFT 100% aluminum one tenth of one thousandth thick so not exterior rated..... one swipe of scotchbrite (or car wash) will destroy it.....some OEM interior parts are V.M. but non-contact surfaces.

Powder coat is out, so bright silver two pack is your only choice.

Your fiberglass bumper can be plated by painting a copper-rich coating then copper,nickel, chrome. No guarantees on longevity.

SORRY!

Last edited by Beechy; 11-01-2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Clarify tarnishing. Add paint strip note.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beechy For This Useful Post:
cpd004 (11-01-2020), dhutton (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 10:53 AM

thanks for the information, it is deeply appreciated.

By what process are OEM grilles and trim currently "chromed" then ? I am sure that is not any type of plating, I thought it was vacuum metallized. I mean look at any modern car and there is more plastic "chrome" than you can shake a stick at. What process are they using then ? And I understand that an OEM process like that might not be available at the piece level.

Oh never mind on a re-read you answered me directly - I just have a hard time believing all those plastic parts ARE actually plated in some manner.

I've seen some photos of chrome paint that looked pretty good, but I've seen a lot that didn't. I'll have to ask my body/paint guy if he's interested in trying it.

(I'm especially frustrated because I contacted the guy selling the grilles on ebay to see if he had any NOS chrome ones and he replied he did. I thought about it for a couple weeks and contacted him again to purchase and no response, even though he's still selling the normal ones ! I want to give you my money man ! If you don't have one after all just tell me)
Old 11-01-2020, 04:52 PM

look up spray chrome. basically mirror coating reversed. won't give you true chrome, but should give you polished aluminum bright.