Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 02-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Default 18x9" with 5 3/4" B.S.

I have had the Truturn system on my '69 for over a year and went with 18x9" with 5 3/4" B.S. and 275 KDW tire. Before ordering wheels and tires I did a test with a borrowed 18x10" 5 3/4" B.S. and 275 tire and decided there was no way it would fit well without some modifications to the outer fenders. My car was already painted and been driven for many years so that was not an option. At my present ride height, the tire sometimes rubs the paint off at the top, bottom area of the fender while turned full lock and while moving over bumpy surfaces (like parking at a field). You can not see the damage except getting down on the ground and looking up at the fender lip. I will have to touch up the paint a couple times a year if I keep it this height. About half the time I do have to make 3 point turns while parking. I have only neg 0.5 camber now and plan to get it realigned to about neg 1.5 in a couple months, so that might help some. Also I removed those top fender bolts about 18 years ago and the fender has not fell off yet.

Gary
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2014, 06:26 PM

Default DSE cars

I will also mention that while at the Southern Slam Track event last year, I asked Stacy of DSE to turn the wheel full lock on her '69 Camaro test car. (The car now has a 10.5" wheel and 285 tire) The tire tread touched the top of the fender. And on another DSE equipped Camaro that had a lower ride height, I noticed some slight fender damage (bent) in that area.

My car presently has 1/4" between the tire tread and fender at full lock with no one in the car.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 AM

Mine sits about the same height as yours and I am running the same size tire on a 18x9 5.25 backspace so I should be further from the frame and closer to the fender than you. I still need to finish my front body panel alignment but I am going to have to mod the fender for sure. I really wish ridetech would put out a little better info on what will and will not fit with the tru turn setup. Looking back if I was not so commited with the brakes and everything I would have gone with an aftermarket subframe.

Last edited by cwylie; 02-05-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:41 PM

I agree that Ridetech should modify the info to recommend an 18x9" unless fender modifications are made. Right after I ordered the TruTurn system for my '69 I got to see their '67 48-hour Camaro at the RTTH event. While lying on the ground looking at the setup it appeared the clearances were really tight on that car. That made me worried about fitment on my '69. I'm lucky I was able to borrow a wheel & tire for testing. I have a friend about 90% done with a '69 and he installed the TruTurn system . After looking at my setup he went with 6" B.S. on an 18x9. If he has too much loss of turning radius, he says he might section the frame.

I would like to crawl under that yellow '69 that Ridetech just built for Goodguys to see how they got a 10" on there. Too bad they don't provide detailed pics and instructions on the mods.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:59 PM

I did a little leg work for you guys today and just want to see if any of this helps you and other builders but first I will help with the last few request and these answers come fromthe Ridtech website on the tru-turn FAQ section

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwylie View Post
Mine sits about the same height as yours and I am running the same size tire on a 18x9 5.25 backspace so I should be further from the frame and closer to the fender than you. I still need to finish my front body panel alignment but I am going to have to mod the fender for sure. I really wish ridetech would put out a little better info on what will and will not fit with the tru turn setup. Looking back if I was not so commited with the brakes and everything I would have gone with an aftermarket subframe.

Can I really fit a 10" wide wheel with a 275mm tire?

Yes! There is no modification necessary to the subframe, but you WILL need to create clearance on the inner wheelhouse and the outer fender lip. These modifications can be as simple or elaborate as your talent and ambition dictate, but if done nicely, are all but invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymac69 View Post
I agree that Ridetech should modify the info to recommend an 18x9" unless fender modifications are made. Right after I ordered the TruTurn system for my '69 I got to see their '67 48-hour Camaro at the RTTH event. While lying on the ground looking at the setup it appeared the clearances were really tight on that car. That made me worried about fitment on my '69. I'm lucky I was able to borrow a wheel & tire for testing. I have a friend about 90% done with a '69 and he installed the TruTurn system . After looking at my setup he went with 6" B.S. on an 18x9. If he has too much loss of turning radius, he says he might section the frame.

I would like to crawl under that yellow '69 that Ridetech just built for Goodguys to see how they got a 10" on there. Too bad they don't provide detailed pics and instructions on the mods.

Will I sacrifice any turning radius?

No loss of turning radius! An 18x10 wheel with 5.75" of backspace and a 275/35-18 tire will lightly kiss the framerail or the swaybar at full lock under full compression...just enough to clean the paint off...no damage to the wheel, tire, or other components.

one of the guys here at the shop has a Daily 69 with all the suspension gear and stock fenders, chrome fender trim, and a low ride height and he runs 8 inch wheels, so he pulled it in the shop and I used a recommended 18x10" rim with 5.75 back spacing and a new 275/35/18 to check fitment, right off our shop Tru-Turn display, here's a few pictures and I hope these helps

first the tru-turn setup with the 18x10 rim for reference

lock to lock views of tire to frame clearances left and right
left turn first

here is the tire barely touching the frame under full lock

then right tire just kisses the sway bar under full lock

and over a half inch away from the arms

next we bring in the victim! a nice 69 camaro with stock unmodified fenders, with chrome fender edges, and all the bolts in place

here you can see the 8 inch rim and all the clearance

now to measure back spacing as a prof of life for everyone

it was hard to read the silver ruler with the camera flash so we switched to a standard yellow tape to show the 5.75 backspace
Bangshift Stories
I’m not the smartest guy at the track … but when he goes home … I’m still there testing, tuning, learning & getting faster.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:00 PM

and I measured the 8 inch rim and it was a 5 inch backspace(it read 4-7/8 in reality)

ok now to install the rim, and then I moved the car around the shop to settle the suspension to actual ride height

now left and right turns for clearance

so the question is how much space is there?

enough my fingers fit

roughly about a thumbs thickness above the rim

or here is the actual ride height numbers ground to fender edge 23-3/8 inch

Bangshift Stories
I’m not the smartest guy at the track … but when he goes home … I’m still there testing, tuning, learning & getting faster.

Last edited by Rod P; 02-06-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:02 PM

I hope this helps, after we used the car I would roll the fender edge and remove the large bolts or change them to button heads and you shouldn't have to do to much abuse to the inner fender
Bangshift Stories
Old 02-06-2014, 04:34 PM

every car is different...I still say its all in the alignment..btw....18x10 6 7/8" back space 285/30/18 23.5" fender height -.8 camber 5.6 degrees on caster on a 71 Nova.

Modifications, button head fender well bolts and tru turn. Steering components are 1/8" away from wheel hoop inner step. Fully cleared on a smooth hoop.

Ok, whats up with the bump stops guys.
Attached Images

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11

Last edited by Vince@Meanstreets; 02-06-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Rod, that is a GREAT write up.

Not even at Ride Tech a week and already at it.

Those Forgelines look great on that car.

I know the Camaro and Novas are different, but I run 18x9.5" with 275/35/18 with complete Ride Tech set up. I ran the wheel/tire combo off the 48 Hour Camaro at RTTH's and they do fit.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:39 PM

you were the inspiration for this car. The owner watched you plow through the autox on youtube and sent it to me. Nice counter swinging your turns BTW. thats old school.lol We are doing a tiny tub on it to fit 295's on 10's in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad94 View Post
Rod, that is a GREAT write up.

Not even at Ride Tech a week and already at it.

Those Forgelines look great on that car.

I know the Camaro and Novas are different, but I run 18x9.5" with 275/35/18 with complete Ride Tech set up. I ran the wheel/tire combo off the 48 Hour Camaro at RTTH's and they do fit.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11